Presswerk vs Pro C2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking to get a very deep and flexible compressor and I am choosing between these two, Pro C2 looks simpler but maybe lacking "character" features as the saturation in Presswerk.

Which are the advantages of each one for you?
dedication to flying

Did you also check Klanghelm DC8C3 and Blue Cat Dynamics 4?
They both feature a very comprehensive featureset and sound good...

Check out track comp: https://dmgaudio.com/trackcomp

You can mix all of your projects with any of those two. Both are excellent, very flexible compressors.

It’s good to have only these two, they cover almost all imaginable comp tasks (Pro-C for fast, predictable compression and Presswerk for vibey or creative compression).

I would start with Presswerk because of the saturation. It can be clean though.

They're both some of the best compressors, you won't be missing anything using only one.

Just my very personal opinion : if I simply answer your question, I'd recommend Pro-C2. Why ? Because I think it sounds waaaaaay better. I won't talk sh!t using technical aspects and possibilities : they both compress, you get a compressed sound and they're both very capable as they can do nearly anything. I'm using a Babyface Pro RME FS and Event Opal monitors : with this equipment and to my ears, yes, Pro-C2 is way ahead, no question.

BUT. If I could add something, that would be this : there are, imho, better options than Pro-C2 and Presswerk. Even the FREE Kotelnikov sounds better to my ears (granted, it's a mastering compressor, but you get the message). If you're about these products, then that's your choice, but are you sure you've tried them all before you choose one of them ?
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I have had both for a long time, and i use Pro-C2 much more than Presswerk, although i absolutely love presswerk.
Pro-C2 has vibey modes like Punch, Bus and Pumping. But not as Vibey as presswerk gets.

Why i use pro-c2 more:
- easier/faster to use
- lighter on the cpu, i can just throw it around and it doesn't make a dent
- super configurable for external sidechaining
- super flexible sidechain control (don't underestimate sidechain EQs -they significantly affect how compressor behaves)

I use presswerk mostly when i need character - drum buses, main vocal track or vocal bus, etc.
I has some very cool functions such as DPR (Dual phase rotator) and Dry HP/Expand (it hipasses and expands dry signal - can make stuff super punchy).
I'll also sooner use Presswerk on master bus because of separate M/S control which Pro-C2 lacks.

If i had to pick one, i'd probably pick Pro-C2. But despite that, i will never sell my presswerk license. :)

Re:Kotelnikov
I don't think Kotelnikov is better than ProC2 or Presswerk. Or worse.
It's not comparable to presswerk because it doesn't smash and distort.
It's not comparable than Pro-C2 because Pro-C2 simply does more and is much lighter on the CPU, so its much more suitable to use as a track compressor across project.
Kotelnikov is a good compressor on its own right undoubtedly - but I couldn't use it in place of Pro-C2 (throw it anywhere you need it), or Presswerk (character)

Personally i'd go for COMPassion from DMGAudio .

Very very versatile tbh.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Pro C all the way.

Klanghelm dc8c for flexibility and overall awesomness , swiss army knife and cheap as chips
Track comp 2 for all your favourite vintage track and buss comp emulations ( spice modelled )
Fircomp 2 for clarity and transparancy , also verry affordable
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:23 am Personally i'd go for COMPassion from DMGAudio .
Very very versatile tbh.
... with a steep learning curve and UX that is all about parameter entry, once you understand what all the parameters do. Versatile but at a cost to workflow.

I agree with those who say Pro-C for general purpose and Presswerk for vibe and character. In the world of compressors they complement each other nicely. You could add in DMG Trackcomp for some traditional/vintage approaches to compression sound character. These 3 compressors cover a wide range without much redundancy in terms of sound and application.

Something to note about Presswerk, unless I've overlooked something, is that automating some of the controls may not be convenient due to the the dual channel structure. For example to automate threshold equally for Left and Right (or M/S), there would need to be 2 automation envelopes, attached to Threshold 1 and Threshold 2 each. The "LINK" button on the GUI only applies to mouse control.

In Reaper the easy workaround is to 'Parameter Link' those 2 parameters together.

ericzang wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 pm Something to note about Presswerk, unless I've overlooked something, is that automating some of the controls may not be convenient due to the the dual channel structure. For example to automate threshold equally for Left and Right (or M/S), there would need to be 2 automation envelopes, attached to Threshold 1 and Threshold 2 each. The "LINK" button on the GUI only applies to mouse control.

In Reaper the easy workaround is to 'Parameter Link' those 2 parameters together.
Thanks for the tip!

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:23 am Personally i'd go for COMPassion from DMGAudio .

Very very versatile tbh.
Yes, I’d also recommend Compassion over Pro C-2 and Presswerk for all-purpose compression. Sounds way better to my ears.
Ploki wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:53 am Re:Kotelnikov
I don't think Kotelnikov is better than ProC2 or Presswerk. Or worse.
It's not comparable to presswerk because it doesn't smash and distort.
It's not comparable than Pro-C2 because Pro-C2 simply does more and is much lighter on the CPU, so its much more suitable to use as a track compressor across project.
Kotelnikov is a good compressor on its own right undoubtedly - but I couldn't use it in place of Pro-C2 (throw it anywhere you need it), or Presswerk (character)
True, that’s why I mentionned it’s ment to be a mastering compressor. It can’t replace Pro-C-2 or Presswerk, because it’s not as flexible, you’re right. But for the very same usage, I think it sounds better.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Agree with DC8C and Trackcomp over Pro-C2 (haven't tried Presswerk). DC8C can adapt to any material, with the exception of mastering duties (Kotelnikov and the GE version would be better). Can be very transparent or a little gritty, use the presets or the easy mode if you just want quick results, but you have all the controls to fine tune the compression to match the material.

Trackcomp will give you a great collection of compressors (similar to Pro-C2's different algorithms) at a lower cost, and they all sound amazing out of the box.

Return to “Effects”