Martinic AX73 v1.4.0 dual-layer synth plugin (AAX/AU/CLAP/VST2/VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AX Bundle AX73

At Martinic, we’ve just released our newest instrument plugin and our first full synthesizer. It’s an emulation of the original AX73, enhanced with elements of the AX60 and AX80 synths plus extra additional features.

You get two full synth layers – two AX73s that can be split across the keyboard or played together as one. Each layer has two oscillators (plus 2x sub and noise), a filter, four LFOs, four envelopes and an arpeggiator.

Our AX73 is capable of 24 voices of polyphony, has detailed voicing options

You can pick up a demo version at www.martinic.com/ax73.

Enhancements and Additions
For the plugin AX73, the original synth has been emulated and duplicated onto two layers, giving rise to four-oscillator patches in Layer mode, or access to two complete synth setups across the keyboard in Split mode. MIDI mode allows the layers to be played by individual MIDI channels.

Martinic’s AX73 features four LFOs and four envelope generators per layer, a global effects section with eight processors, the arpeggiator from the AX60 (one per layer) and the sub oscillator from the AX80. VCOs can be tuned down to the 32’ octave as in these two synths. There is also a comprehensive preset browser with tagging and search functionality to manage the synth’s 600+ presets.

Key Features
• Dual synth layers let you stack or split patches to create unique and complex sounds
• Four VCO sources, four Sub and two Noise oscillators, across two layers
• Up to 24 voices of polyphony, a total maximum of 144 oscillators
• Filter per-layer (LP/HP/BP) with self-oscillating capability
• Chorus with four analog models
• Four DADSR Envelopes per layer
• Four LFOs per layer, with one-shot and ‘stepped’ capability
• Arpeggiator per layer with 11 arp modes (based on the AX60)
• Eight effects units (EQ, Compressor, Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, Reverb) with flexible ordering
• 600 presets from a team of sound designers with credits including the DX7, NI Massive, and Blade Runner. AX73 Legacy Collection, with presets from the original synth, included.
• Available in AAX/AU/CLAP/VST2/VST3 formats. MPE support in the works

https://youtu.be/0m1XQBHR_dA
Last edited by martinic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 am, edited 12 times in total.

The AKAI AX73 was a pretty middle of the road synth.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

martinic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 am At Martinic, we’ve just released our newest instrument plugin and our first full synthesizer. It’s an emulation of the original AX73, enhanced with elements of the AX60 and AX80 synths plus extra additional features.
Wonderful to see this emulated and enhanced.

I like the video.

I noticed that one of the presets (maybe more) had phase issues (in waves Paz) even though there were no FX on the particular preset.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:40 amI noticed that one of the presets (maybe more) had phase issues (in waves Paz) even though there were no FX on the particular preset.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "phase issues", but this is an emulation of an analog synth, so its oscillators are always somewhat out of tune/phase.

Downloaded the demo, it looks pretty good! I like the style you aimed for.

Things I've noticed:
- I feel the synth lacks a bit of low end, is this by design? I don't know too much about the original to compare to.
- VST2 Win10x64 Ableton Live 10- certain presets do not activate. You can check this by browsing through one by one, then the newly highlighted preset sounds like the one before.

Sounds is powerful and it really comes to life in this layered format. Is there a plugin scaling option on the plugin? There are some very tiny gui elements particularly the effect knobs in there if not.

Solved it.. just shows EQ then you click on it and it opens up the efx panel. Still a scaling option would be nice.
Last edited by Scotty on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 pmI feel the synth lacks a bit of low end, is this by design? I don't know too much about the original to compare to.
Well, IMHO it's pretty close to the original, and that does includes serveral stages of high-pass filters (the actual high-pass filter in the synth, but also DC blockers in the preamps).
davidka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 pmVST2 Win10x64 Ableton Live 10- certain presets do not activate. You can check this by browsing through one by one, then the newly highlighted preset sounds like the one before.
Yes, that's a bug in the v1.0.0 preset database, sorry about that. We have just uploaded v1.0.1 that fixes this. Note that you need to check the Reset Preset Database option during installation to actually fix this. This will remove any user presets/collections, so be careful and/or export them first.

Tale wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:36 pm
davidka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 pmI feel the synth lacks a bit of low end, is this by design? I don't know too much about the original to compare to.
Well, IMHO it's pretty close to the original, and that does includes serveral stages of high-pass filters (the actual high-pass filter in the synth, but also DC blockers in the preamps).
davidka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 pmVST2 Win10x64 Ableton Live 10- certain presets do not activate. You can check this by browsing through one by one, then the newly highlighted preset sounds like the one before.
Yes, that's a bug in the v1.0.0 preset database, sorry about that. We have just uploaded v1.0.1 that fixes this. Note that you need to check the Reset Preset Database option during installation to actually fix this. This will remove any user presets/collections, so be careful and/or export them first.
Thank you very much for the quick answer! :)

As a homework I started with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_qfsjHhR8

Interesting, had one of these back in day, big heavy bugger....

I have no memory of what it sounds like apart from one patch called Vangelis....and auto tune on start up...

wow!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I'm trying the demo as I do with all new plugins. Has some nice sounds and the two layers offer some interesting capabilities but speaking personally I have a folder full of nice sounding synths and speaking generally the market is full of nice sounding synths so it's hard to get a foot in the door.

I've never owned or played the hardware so I'm just judging on the core sound rather than as an emulation.

The $59.50 introductory price is just a bit beyond impulse buy territory for me but maybe after spending some more time with the demo I'll find a place on the "to buy" list.

One comment hopefully taken as constructive criticism, since there are functional elements on the Keys tab (Sliders, Arp On/Off) I'd like to see a larger image of the keyboard to make those elements easier to use and you could lose the images of the headphones and cassette deck. I'd love to see the hardware style carried out on the Settings page as well but that's just personal preference.

All in all I think it's a nice little synth with some nice but not groundbreaking sounds. Good luck, I wish you success with this release. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:15 pm I'm trying the demo as I do with all new plugins. Has some nice sounds and the two layers offer some interesting capabilities but speaking personally I have a folder full of nice sounding synths and speaking generally the market is full of nice sounding synths so it's hard to get a foot in the door.

I've never owned or played the hardware so I'm just judging on the core sound rather than as an emulation.

The $59.50 introductory price is just a bit beyond impulse buy territory for me but maybe after spending some more time with the demo I'll find a place on the "to buy" list.

One comment hopefully taken as constructive criticism, since there are functional elements on the Keys tab (Sliders, Arp On/Off) I'd like to see a larger image of the keyboard to make those elements easier to use and you could lose the images of the headphones and cassette deck. I'd love to see the hardware style carried out on the Settings page as well but that's just personal preference.

All in all I think it's a nice little synth with some nice but not groundbreaking sounds. Good luck, I wish you success with this release. :tu:

I agree totally with your assessment!

I didn't even blink.

Purchased.

Awesome!

The OG is an oddity but well known among vintage hybrid bargain hunters. I enjoy that category for its idiosyncratic, gritty and unique synths. This is an impressive take, the rounded H/W tone is unmistakable and quite an accomplishment.

Return to “Instruments”