Studio One, compared to FL/Ableton?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Question: is Studio One missing some major feature that FL Studio or Ableton offers?

I have been using FL Studio for year now, but there’s something that just doesn’t feel totally right for me (maybe the workflow isn’t really working for me).

So I am thinking to learn a new DAW, and Studio One seems quite good. I also tried Ableton and it was ok, but somehow I like studio one a bit better.

Edit: I add this extra info here also:
1. My music genre is dance (EDM) but I also like to make some “trailer” type music (cinematic).
Maybe going more into this cinematic type music, at least for now. But dance music is very much my history/in my blood I think :D

2. I mostly use stuff included in Komplete Kobtrol 13 (Massive X, Cinematic & Orchestral instruments etc).

3. I use NI S-series keyboard (FL Studio doesn’t support this - you can get some 3rd party hacks to get it work). I know Ableton & Studio One both works with this keyboard

4. I like to record vocals when I have opportunity (at the moment can’t really due to this whole covid situation etc).

5. Not really into sound design
Last edited by Bartone on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

I think the better approach is to figure out which features you need, then find out if Studio One includes these features or an approximate process. It shouldn't really matter if Studio One doesn't include a bunch of trivial features that you will never use.

Ultimately, a DAW is a tool for creating the music you want to create the way that feels comfortable for you. Figure out which DAW helps you make the music you want to make the way you want to make it best. I think workflow is more important than features in the end. Your DAW should never get in the way of getting your musical ideas out. All the bells and whistles in the world aren't going to help if your DAW stifles your creative process.

Last edited by jamcat on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Did you tried Bitwig?

I'll let myself out..

Depends, but it's mostly cosmetics. I tried Studio One and it never really liked it. I went through many DAW (FL, Bitwig, S1...) and everytime went back to Ableton. It was the first DAW I used and somehow it just feels like home to me.
Spend just a couple hours with it. If it doesn't feel right, it's not for you.

Bulbizarre wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 pm Depends, but it's mostly cosmetics. I tried Studio One and it never really liked it. I went through many DAW (FL, Bitwig, S1...) and everytime went back to Ableton. It was the first DAW I used and somehow it just feels like home to me.Spend just a couple hours with it. If it doesn't feel right, it's not for you.
Cosmetics?! S1 is wonderful, but - compared to Live - it lacks non-linear clip launcher, native modulation options, M4L, the included instruments and FX are laughable compared to what Live offers.

Having said that, it might be "cosmetics" if all you do in your DAW is record yourself playing or singing stuff, move clips around and apply some basic EQ or compression.

So, the real question for the OP is - how you're using your DAW? what's the workflow? setup you have? even music genre you mainly produce?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:43 pm Did you tried Bitwig?

I'll let myself out..
That's a valid question though. It's weird people rarely consider Bitwig, which by now is a pretty respectable alternative, if one's into sound design & modular stuff.
Music tech enthusiast

Studio One has audio tracks, which are clip launchers for non-morons.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:45 am Studio One has audio tracks, which are clip launchers for non-morons.
The only thing resembling a proper clip launcher in Studio One is Impact XT's loop mode.

But apparently I'm a moron, so can you please elaborate? :roll:
Music tech enthusiast

What does a clip launcher do, if not play an audio clip at the time of your choosing?

And what does an audio track do, if not play an audio clip at the time of your choosing?

It’s really not necessary to pretend that you’re Kanye with an MPC inside your DAW.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:34 am What does a clip launcher do, if not play an audio clip at the time of your choosing?

And what does an audio track do, if not play an audio clip at the time of your choosing?
Oh, ok. So you've never actually worked with a proper clip launching controller (Push, Launchpad, etc.) in a proper, non-linear clip launching DAW. Got ya! :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:40 am clip launching controller (Push, Launchpad, etc.)
In other words, a wannabe MPC.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:40 am clip launching controller (Push, Launchpad, etc.)
In other words, a wannabe MPC.
What's wrong with MPC? How is it inferior as a musical instrument to a proper piano or guitar?

Also, Push or Launchpad offer much more than typical MPC usecase ("flipping samples"), but you obviously wouldn't know that.
Music tech enthusiast

😑 I rest my case.

Thanks for the replys everyone!

Here some more info:
1. My music genre is dance (trance/house) but I also like to make some “trailer” type music (cinematic).
But at the moment focusing more and more to cinematic type.

2. I mostly use stuff included in Komplete Kobtrol 13 (Massive X, Cinematic & Orchestral instruments etc).

3. I use NI S-series keyboard (FL Studio doesn’t support this - you can get some 3rd party hacks to get it work). I know Ableton & Studio One both works with this keyboard

4. I like to record vocals when I have opportunity (at the moment can’t really due to this whole covid situation etc).

5. Not really into sound design

Bartone wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:40 amHere some more info...
Then indeed go for Studio One.

There's full 30-day trial:

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... -days-free

You should also look for a 2nd hand license (should be <$200) here in buy & sell section or on Knobcloud.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”