Waves 13

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

f**k Waves.

I've got WUP covered on the Abbey Roads stuff. I'll sadly phase them out too.

I f**king hate their WUP BS. Yeah, I know there's some that will come singing how great they are, so just take it as one person's opinion. I dislike them...

I think WUP combined with their perpetual sales is a scam because what you don't see when purchasing is that the WUP is based on the non-sale price making WUP more expensive than the first time you bought it.

I just don't like it. Leaves a very sour taste.

OK, so scratch that.
The reason why they aren't showing up in my songs is because the V13 plugins aren't loading in Studio One at all.

No problem loading elsewhere. So it looks like Studio One may need an update to support V13. :?

Anyone else able to load V13 (VST3) in Studio One (Windows 10)?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:14 am f**k Waves.

I've got WUP covered on the Abbey Roads stuff. I'll sadly phase them out too.

I f**king hate their WUP BS. Yeah, I know there's some that will come singing how great they are, so just take it as one person's opinion. I dislike them...

I think WUP combined with their perpetual sales is a scam because what you don't see when purchasing is that the WUP is based on the non-sale price making WUP more expensive than the first time you bought it.

I just don't like it. Leaves a very sour taste.

Think of it as "protection money." :lol:

"That's a nice second license you have there on your laptop. It'd be a real shame if it stopped working."

I naively thought they would roll M1 support into v12. It feels like 12 just came out. If versions are coming out this frequently they need to offer a $50-$99 upgrade path for everything IMO. It's a laughably outdated system that screws over Mac users especially. I'm a windows and mac user btw and happy to not upgrade. I would upgrade and have no real problem with upgrade fees per se if they offer value for money. Apple makes a value proposition incompatible with WUP and waves need to address it at this stage.

Remember we went years without a version upgrade between 9 and 10 I think? Seems like a long time ago now.

jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 am OK, so scratch that.
The reason why they aren't showing up in my songs is because the V13 plugins aren't loading in Studio One at all.

No problem loading elsewhere. So it looks like Studio One may need an update to support V13. :?

Anyone else able to load V13 (VST3) in Studio One (Windows 10)?
C/Users/YOUR USER NAME/AppData/Roaming/PreSonus/Studio One. Either just rename or move elsewhere the folder x64 contained inside, then start Studio One, let it do its thing, might take a while, longer than normal anyway, when it's finished Bobs your Uncle, you should be right to go.

Depending on how much you customize things you may want to replace one or two of the files from the folder you renamed or moved earlier, but nor all or you will be back to where you were. The file names should give you a good idea, there's only 4.
Say NO to CLAP!

Wow, that worked! Thanks! :party:
But how did you know I have an uncle named Bob? :scared:

Gotta remember to update my licences even though I won't be updating the actual plugins. Lost a couple free updates that way. You'd think they would just update the license automatically if you have an active wup. The old plugins will still be authorized. Silly Waves.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:14 am I think WUP combined with their perpetual sales is a scam because what you don't see when purchasing is that the WUP is based on the non-sale price making WUP more expensive than the first time you bought it.
Is this true? I clicked through my various expired plugins and none of them have the WUP charge at even 29.99 which afaict is the lowest sale price (the only thing that gets above $20 is SSL E-Channel, which I have at version 9 - and which seems to get reduced to $35.99 in sales).

My issue with them is that for an individual plugin it's unclear what you are actually getting; e.g I use Metafilter occasionally, and have that at V10, but there is no changelog for individual plugins so it's unclear what I'd actually gain by updating that particular plugin to v13.

By aggregating things together in this way it's a weak form of subscription, where the lower prices are subsidised by volume and selling update plans for old plugins that (potentially) haven't received any new enhancements bar a re-compile for the latest waveshell.

It's concerning that still the only "older" plugin UI that has had the HiDPI treatment are the SSL plugins. It suggests that they still haven't really figured out a productive workflow for updating the graphics of old plugins.

chrisstiles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 am
elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:14 am I think WUP combined with their perpetual sales is a scam because what you don't see when purchasing is that the WUP is based on the non-sale price making WUP more expensive than the first time you bought it.
Is this true? I clicked through my various expired plugins and none of them have the WUP charge at even 29.99 which afaict is the lowest sale price (the only thing that gets above $20 is SSL E-Channel, which I have at version 9 - and which seems to get reduced to $35.99 in sales).

My issue with them is that for an individual plugin it's unclear what you are actually getting; e.g I use Metafilter occasionally, and have that at V10, but there is no changelog for individual plugins so it's unclear what I'd actually gain by updating that particular plugin to v13.

By aggregating things together in this way it's a weak form of subscription, where the lower prices are subsidised by volume and selling update plans for old plugins that (potentially) haven't received any new enhancements bar a re-compile for the latest waveshell.
The Gold price for WUP is higher than what I paid for it. To me, that just doesn't make sense. The price is not bad if I were a fan of Waves, but it leaves a bad feeling that there are no new features compared to the last time I was forced to pay for an upgrade just to keep things compatible.

I think WUP prices should be listed upfront for all products. A bit of transparency shouldn't be too much to ask if they think their business model is an honest one.

And you're not getting anything new upgrading Metafilter... These are maintenance fixes and OS compatibility upgrades.

The WUP might be ok if Waves actually improved through updates existing software. The only real reason to bother with it would be due to OS updates like the M1. Even then most companies offer either updates for free or at reasonable cost... although there are a few exceptions, Izotope for example are constantly making minor tweaks to software and charging - relatively - quite a lot.
I have to sat that even in Rosetta mode the Waves V13 plugins seem a little snappier and load faster.

kelvyn wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm The WUP might be ok if Waves actually improved through updates existing software. The only real reason to bother with it would be due to OS updates like the M1. Even then most companies offer either updates for free or at reasonable cost... although there are a few exceptions, Izotope for example are constantly making minor tweaks to software and charging - relatively - quite a lot.
I have to say though that even in Rosetta mode the Waves V13 plugins seem a little snappier and load faster.

Iva wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:53 am W11 support.
What the hoohaaa does that even mean - Just loaded up a whole load of v11 versions of my Waves plugins in Windows 11 and ... well they work !

elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm And you're not getting anything new upgrading Metafilter... These are maintenance fixes and OS compatibility upgrades.
That was just an example; my point was that for any generic Waves plugin it's not clear what you are getting by upgrading (and in most cases the tangible answer is actually 'very little' or 'doesn't crash as much').

chrisstiles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm And you're not getting anything new upgrading Metafilter... These are maintenance fixes and OS compatibility upgrades.
That was just an example; my point was that for any generic Waves plugin it's not clear what you are getting by upgrading (and in most cases the tangible answer is actually 'very little' or 'doesn't crash as much').
No worries, I got it. I’m just adding on because you’re right… there should be a change log. Otherwise it’s like you said, basically a subscription.

Return to “Effects”