SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

Hi,
Just have found that Unify (PluginGuru) has built-in Soundfont player including SFZ, unfortunately there is no any built-in editor or mapping viewer and no EG, but it possible to chain built-in Envelope by mda.

Moreover, Wusik stopped supporting Mac versions of his products. They are not available for download.

SFZ Players list at https://sfzformat.com/software/players/ should be updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you for the news, we'll update the page with these new info.
I gave a look on the Wusix site and it seems there is no V9 and 9009 as products, there is a Wusix Station X that is not clear if it still supports sfz, and a 8008 that it does.

FYI
I was just perusing the 'Range Extension' tutorial (pentatonic xylophone) and found a typo in
https://sfzformat.com/tutorials/range_e ... ng-pitches

<region>sample=c4.wav lokey=48 hikey=49 pitch_keycenter=48
<region>sample=d4.wav lokey=50 hikey=51 pitch_keycenter=50
<region>sample=f4.wav lokey=52 hikey=44 pitch_keycenter=53 //*I believe hikey should be 54 not 44
<region>sample=g4.wav lokey=55 hikey=56 pitch_keycenter=55

Thanks for spotting that, will fix...

Don't beat me up if I'm asking this in the wrong place... but I'm trying to figure out how to add an opcode to an SFZ such that when the sustain pedal (cc64 I believe) is depressed it will allow sound from a group... basically "unmute" a group. Most of the sustain pedal codes are for playing a sound when the pedal is depressed. I want to allow a group to play such that when the pedal is down, notes in that group can be played like any other instrument, but they will only "sound" when the pedal is down. When the pedal is up, the group is muted.
Sounds simple enough. Basically it's for creating a sympathetic resonance of sorts that's mapped like any other instrument but only plays along with another group when the pedal is pressed. I want to turn on and off a group with the sustain pedal but not have it make any sound until the actual notes/keys are played. I may have complicated something simple by over describing it.... :P

Ah... an hour later and I think this is working: locc64=127 hicc64=127

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi
arrived here on this sfz pages......newby
I like to convert many of my sample libraries to the sfz format to laod them in the tx16wx sampler because it is the only sampler who is supporting the new MTS-ESP tuning format https://oddsound.com/mtsespsuite.php (https://oddsound.com/mtsespsuite.php)
Have anyone used the chickensys translater for this?Is it worh the cost?
thanks for reply.....
emmanuel

Is there a way to create drum rolls with the final drum hit in SFZ?
I mean a typical snare drum roll that keeps looping a region of the sample, until you release the key and then it jumps to the (end of loop) region where the snare hit starts.
At least I imagine that's how it should work.

I have an old drum kit like this, which was converted to SFZ from Halion (GSCW drums).
The roll sample has the loop data in the audio file itself (wav/flac) and I'd like to keep it there, unless there's an easy way to extract it and put it in the .sfz file.

I tried with all the loop_mode options, but neither Sforzando nor Sfizz play this properly. The latter loops the region properly, but on release it doesn't play the single snare hit at the end.

A separate ending region with trigger=release would sort of work, as long as you don't have multiple mics on at once... With multiple mics the release gets triggered for every region that's currently playing on the same key. So, if you have 8 mics on at once you have 8 releases, and each of those releases gets triggered 8 times for a total of 64 - way too loud...

For simpler, old-school sf2-style,

Use loop_mode=loop_sustain
Then add ampeg_release=10 for the note-off (key release) portion of the sample to be heard

I think it explained at sfzformat.com

I've searched and not found my answer. Is there such an opcode for SFZ called simply "keytrack"? I know there are opcodes with names including the word "keytrack" such as:

amp_keytrack
fil_keytrack
fil2_keytrack
pan_keytrack
pitch_keytrack
position_keytrack
tune_keytrack

If there is indeed a opcode "keytrack", what does it do? I haven't seen it listed on the SFZFormat.com page.

Thanks in advance!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

There's no "just keytrack". Pitch_keytrack is probably what is usually meant by keytracking - with pitch_keytrack=100 the pitch moves up by a half-step with every key, pitch_keytrack=0 is the same pitch across the entire range, etc.

DSmolken wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:59 pm There's no "just keytrack". Pitch_keytrack is probably what is usually meant by keytracking - with pitch_keytrack=100 the pitch moves up by a half-step with every key, pitch_keytrack=0 is the same pitch across the entire range, etc.
Thanks for the rapid response! So, if Pitch_keycenter and lokey and hikey are used, why would someone need pitch_keytrack as well?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Normally you can just leave it at the default 100 value and that's all - it is what you want for most instruments. I've used pitch_keytrack=0 to have the same sound with the same pitch across a key range, for example breath noise in a sax, or if you want to have the same drum sound across two keys to make playing rolls from a keyboard easier. Small values like 10 are also occasionally useful for non-pitched ambienty sounds where you want some slight variation, but that's really a rare case.

I'm trying to build a basic template and this is what I've put together so far:

<group> //Parameters that affect multiple regions.

loop_mode=
pitch_keytrack=
lowvel=
highvel=
ampeg_attack=
ampeg_decay=
ampeg_sustain=
ampeg_release=

<region>

sample=
loop_start=
loop_end=
pitch_keycenter=
lowkey=
highkey=

<Multiple regions will follow in this group, and multiple groups with regions will also follow>

Does this look correct to you? I'm trying to create a basic template using opcodes that are as compatible as possible across most SFZ sample players. For me, the most important thing is cross sfz player compatibility--especially with open source players like LinuxSampler, Sfizz, and liquidsampler. I have other opcodes that I want to implement, but I'm just starting with the basics while I am learning.

Looks generally reasoanble. It should be lovel/hivel not lowvel/highvel I think, and lokey/hikey.

Most SFZ players will read the loop points embedded in a WAV file but not all so loop_start and loop_end are good to include for max compatibility. No need to specify pitch_keytrack if you want it to be 100, though - all players should respect the standard default being 100 (100 cents per key).

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”