Your First Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:21 pm Casio VL-1
Also the Casio VL-1

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:31 pm ive spent the last two years spending a fortune on things like this.
my son and his missus hate me but my granddaughter thinks im awesome :D
You might like the 8 Bit Keys guy then....

https://www.youtube.com/c/8BitKeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFURWRssT8
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Casio VL1
First Serious one Korg DW 8000. (planning to purchase one again)
First soft instrument if I remember right a program called stomp and of course first plugin Steinberg Neon :)

Examigan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:59 pm I went for a CZ 101 first, and then I bought DX 21. I don't have either one of those now, but I did buy a Sub Phatty about 5-6 years ago and still have it.
Oh nice! A friend of mine did a vid with one the other day and it whet my appetite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9_HkZMKzs

Sub phatty is a solid choice!

attention ♥ wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 pm
Also the Casio VL-1
Classic! Did you know you can program you own sounds on them?

allofdrab wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:06 pm Hardware: Pro One (purchased in 1993) - still have it
Software: Reaktor 5 (purchased whenever it came out) - still have it
I hear you, there are some prerequisits at the start of the article - it should have a keyboard or input method... just so beginners have the thing to play from the off.

I LOVE the Pro-1, I got one a few weeks back after years of borrowing the original off friends.

allofdrab wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:06 pm Hardware: Pro One (purchased in 1993) - still have it
Software: Reaktor 5 (purchased whenever it came out) - still have it
YES!! What excellent taste you have... these things are both still KILLER!! I used a Pro One on this track: https://midierror.bandcamp.com/track/marikas-dream

You must have got yours for a good price back then!

foosnark wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:21 pm Casio VL-1, and no. (Or if that doesn't count: a Moog Micromoog, and also no.)

If software, not sure what the first free one was, but first paid was probably Big Tick Rhino (and, no).
VL-1 definitely counts, it's been used on many a classic record, and can be programmed! Some call it the precursor to the OP-1

Krakatau wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:13 pm the 1st i touched and took early lessons of synthesis in 1972-73 : EMS AKS
The 1st i've purchased in 1984 : Korg Poly-800
Wow what a great 1st experience that must have been!! Where was it?

Poly 800 also veeeeeeeeery nice.

Bulbizarre wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:34 pm Neutron and I still have it. Nice filter and the BBD sounds much rounder than plugins. The expansive patchbay is nice for potential modular setups if I ever go that route.
A fine choice! Yes, the Neutron is brilliant, very phat and also... just very pleasing on the eye! Love the wavemophing too, the way the LED fires around!

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:31 pm ive spent the last two years spending a fortune on things like this.
my son and his missus hate me but my granddaughter thinks im awesome :D

Ignore the haters! You are awesome!!!

dstep404 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:21 pm Ensoniq ASR-X, though more of a sampler/drum machine. Casio WK1600 with it. Ensoniq was used from my cousin. Still have the Casio at my parents. Really, really wish I held on to that ASR-X. Major regret.

Before that, and software, was the Download.com demo of Fruity Loops 1.4. Then a copy of Reason 1.0.
Yeah Ensoniq made some incredible gear! I feel your pain, I had a TS12 which sounded great and I sold it cos it was absolutely MASSIVE. Glad you still have the casio!

ozinga wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 pm Casio VL1
First Serious one Korg DW 8000. (planning to purchase one again)
First soft instrument if I remember right a program called stomp and of course first plugin Steinberg Neon :)
Hey! VL-1 is serious!! But, yeah...DW 8000 is probably more of a real synth. I think I remember Stomp, isn't it like a electronic percussion/sfx maker?

midierror wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 am
attention ♥ wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 pm
Also the Casio VL-1
Classic! Did you know you can program you own sounds on them?
I certainly didn't know at the time :/

I forgot I also had a Synare drum synth (before the CZ 101) which didn't have a keyboard but used synthesis.

Return to “Instruments”