Steven Slate VSX Headphone

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 pm We'll see how durable the much advertised "unbreakable" 23xx series is once they arrive. Probably going to get a pair just for backup as I can not work without these any more.
Any idea when this is going to happen? Is there an official statement about that?

No idea. Considering all the delays so far, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm probably going to check out the situation end of next summer. So far my two pairs are faultless so I'm not in any trouble at the moment.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 pm We'll see how durable the much advertised "unbreakable" 23xx series is once they arrive. Probably going to get a pair just for backup as I can not work without these any more.
I'm still on the fence, I would have bought ages ago if there was stock but it seems the lack of stock is actually good as it means I avoid any potential beta testing of the durability of these cans.

What I'm equally interested in though, is how does the cup material and headband material hold up after a year of 2 abuse, they're usually the first things to go abit minging after months of constant use and not always the easiest to replace. I got some soft cups to replace the breaking apart ones on my M-50's but it completely changed the sound of them although it made them a hell of a lot more comfortable and I can just take them off and wash them once a month. Also stripped back the material that started flaking off the headband too, all the way down to the plastic and metal and now use some seatbelt padding that I can just unwrap the velcro and throw in the wash once a week.

Not sure the VSX will be as upgradeable/moddable as that

whats the opinion of these now? been waiting for new update to buy, scared of band breaking lol

My original pair is still working perfectly. It's one of those few products I don't think I could work without any more.

No idea about the latest revision though. Apparently it's band is now metal and should be super rugged. I'll keep using mine until it goes kaput.. then buy a bunch of new ones. I'm definitely going to stock up on these.

The more I use it, the more I'm convinced by just how useful it is and how much guesswork it removes when getting a mix to translate and I wouldn't want to be without it now. But yeah, there's clear evidence that the build quality wasn't really up to scratch on the originals. I got about a years worth of use on mine before issues with the headband started and I'm waiting patiently for my replacement pair of the metal headband edition. If they're as robust as Steven is claiming, then we're onto a winner.

I finally got around to buying a pair in November during Black Friday, sadly the box is still unopened on my desk because I procrastinate too much

andymcbain wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 am The more I use it, the more I'm convinced by just how useful it is and how much guesswork it removes when getting a mix to translate and I wouldn't want to be without it now. But yeah, there's clear evidence that the build quality wasn't really up to scratch on the originals. I got about a years worth of use on mine before issues with the headband started and I'm waiting patiently for my replacement pair of the metal headband edition. If they're as robust as Steven is claiming, then we're onto a winner.
I'm pretty sure whoever manufactured the mass batch that went for sale had some kind of defect. I have two pairs that are from the very first original run of the product and they are still perfect, no signs of wear or breakage. I also haven't heard anybody else having problems with the first original run.

I'm considering VSX. I think the main thing about this system compared to others of the past is the binaural encoding that went into the rooms they modeled. This adds an actual 3D element, supposedly. I haven't tried it yet.

But anyway, I'm wondering if you guys have anything to say about 2 years about surround mixing with VSX? is there any support for it? Is the 3dness of the binaural encoding good enough to place objects in space at arms length away from your head? Or is this product mainly about getting perfect EQ curves for monitoring different speaker models...with some slight and subtle room ambience baked in via binaural encoding?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Anyone else enjoying the expansion pack? The original rooms were pretty good for low end but the main's in Mike's room really take it to the next level for me.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience in replacing the ear-pads on the VSX headphones?

Reason I am asking is because I had mine for only two weeks when the ear-pads started to fall apart after only very light use. In the process of getting that sorted out I had to realize that Steven Slate Audio does not sell or even have replacement ear-pads. The only way to get this fixed is by replacing the entire headphone. I currently have a replacement set in the mail. I bought mine through Amazon and I was still in the 30 day replacement window, so this was very straightforward.

But this makes me wonder if there are any aftermarket replacement ear-pads out there that fit the VSX. Even though mine was probably a lemon, the construction of the ear-pads that come with the VSX is very flimsy.

Before people get too excited. I do realize that changing ear-pads changes the sound signature so this is generally not recommended. However, after playing around with the VSXs for a while, I found that sound of the VSXs also depends substantially on the DAC you are using. I tested about half a dozen DACs until I found one that works best with the VSXs and the binaural render of the plugin. In my experience, changing the ear-pads would not add substantially more variation to the sound reproduction as there already is anyway.

Anyway, any insights appreciated.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I used this companies earcups for replacing my old ATH-M50 earcups that went gross - https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collecti ... phone-pads I would imagine there's a cup that would fit the VSX as the dimensions are listed for each cup so just go for the one that matches best.

andymcbain wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm Anyone else enjoying the expansion pack? The original rooms were pretty good for low end but the main's in Mike's room really take it to the next level for me.
The Mike Dean expansion pack is very good for mixing low end on electronic music. I use that and Howie Weinberg s room 95% of the mix and master. All my critical mix decisions are made on VSX.
Rapid Flow Ableton Template & Sample Packs: https:rapidflow.shop
Latest release: https://soundcloud.com/erikheirman-setsuna
https://erikheirman.com
https://setsuna.de

https://stevenslateaudio.com/vsx
3.0 update is available and on gearspace people are gushing over how tight the response is now. I havent yet tried, just updated.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

andymcbain wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm Anyone else enjoying the expansion pack? The original rooms were pretty good for low end but the main's in Mike's room really take it to the next level for me.
Yeah using them both Mike's for bass checks.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”