Presswerk vs Pro C2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pro-C2 has become my goto compressor. I like Presswerks "views" concept and I think it fits nicely for character sounds. So I agree with using both, but Pro-C2 as 1st choice.

You could also try the Toneboosters Compressor V4. Other good allround compressors are Voxengo Marquis and Meldaproduction MDynamics (this one has more unique features like a freely adjustable transfer curve). Just to give you more options. The Toneboosters one is (along with DC8C) the most affordable (and both are very high quality, and I would rate them even higher than you original choices so I would say if you want more a vintage style compressor then DC8C and more a modern style then the Toneboosters compressor)

One thing that bothers me about fabfilter is their strictness in maintaining a demarcation with regard to what constitutes as “pro” vs “creative.” For example, I like to use compressors that feature brick wall limiting in addition to the compression portion. So, the compressor performs light duties but if there’s a sudden large peak it’s caught by the brick wall limiter. I brought this up to fabfilter once and they were like, “why don’t you just use pro-l afterwards?” Because the simplicity that I’m seeking in a flexible compressor shouldn’t necessitate inserting another plugin to accomplish it. Logic’s compressor does this. I thought it was pretty standard until I looked at the competitors.

So, yes I primarily just use Logic’s compressor now. But I presswerk’s overload protection also works for me, too.

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:27 pm One thing that bothers me about fabfilter is their strictness in maintaining a demarcation with regard to what constitutes as “pro” vs “creative.” For example, I like to use compressors that feature brick wall limiting in addition to the compression portion. So, the compressor performs light duties but if there’s a sudden large peak it’s caught by the brick wall limiter. I brought this up to fabfilter once and they were like, “why don’t you just use pro-l afterwards?” Because the simplicity that I’m seeking in a flexible compressor shouldn’t necessitate inserting another plugin to accomplish it. Logic’s compressor does this. I thought it was pretty standard until I looked at the competitors.

So, yes I primarily just use Logic’s compressor now. But I presswerk’s overload protection also works for me, too.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. - John Lydgate

not to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, but i never ever missed limiter on Pro-C2
i also never use limiter on logic's stock compressor tho

So i get both ProC2 and presswerk are very capable, but when it come to saturation only presswerk offers something else?

what other options are there for compressors with a lot of character, I make mostly electronic music so using the compressor to add character, punch and saturation is much more important.
dedication to flying

Please also try Voxengo Marquis compressor before you make your final choice, you won't regret it.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Deft Compressor is pretty cool too.

as much as i love both Marquis and Deft compressor (all voxengo compressors tbh, except polysquasher. kinda can't gel with it) i don't think single one of them offer as much variety as presswerk or pro-c2.
all 3 combined i guess they do

Ploki wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 am as much as i love both Marquis and Deft compressor (all voxengo compressors tbh, except polysquasher. kinda can't gel with it) i don't think single one of them offer as much variety as presswerk or pro-c2.
Well, obviously, there is not really any one-comp-to-rule-them-all compressor in the Voxengo family, but that's okay.

rod_zero wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:00 am So i get both ProC2 and presswerk are very capable, but when it come to saturation only presswerk offers something else?

what other options are there for compressors with a lot of character, I make mostly electronic music so using the compressor to add character, punch and saturation is much more important.
TDR Molot! https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/

I own both and I do techno. to me presswerk is like the preset machine where Im going to when I dont know what im looking for exactly bit when smth is missing. Pro-C I use for specific tasks when I exactly know what to so like controlling dynamic range. it can give you vibes or analog-ish feeling with their compression type but it wont change the sound like presswerk does. To be honest I nowadays just use the ableton stock compressor instead of pro-c bc its quicker for me bc the simpler interface and the basic tasks can be done with that as well. So my recommendation is to get Presswerk bc to me it coverers more than ProC bc you still have your clean stock comp and presswerk can do clean as well if you want. you will miss some special features like sidechaing to only mid or side signal etc but to be honest you probably will rarely use it. maybe if you are a professional mixing engineer…

crickey13 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:25 am
Ploki wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 am as much as i love both Marquis and Deft compressor (all voxengo compressors tbh, except polysquasher. kinda can't gel with it) i don't think single one of them offer as much variety as presswerk or pro-c2.
Well, obviously, there is not really any one-comp-to-rule-them-all compressor in the Voxengo family, but that's okay.
Marquis has been castrated for V2 though.
I sadly never tried V1 but it seemed much more in line of a shaping compressor than v2.
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE v2, but i'd still love a bit more flexibility.
It's not totally inflexible though with it's feed forward / backward and standard / round options, combined with it's 3 included compressor algos (though i literally only use two of them and mostly even just the new one of v2)
As i've never worked with the first one, my only wishes would be if it had the capabilities of Deft Compressor to smoothly blend from L to S shaped curves, but for attack and release separately and not combined like in Deft
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Pro-C2 is a workhorse. Fast workflow and excellent sound. Although Presswork is maybe a bit more versatile.

AKJ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm You could also try the Toneboosters Compressor V4.
With the new detector modes this has a lot in common with Pro-C 2 workflow-wise.

Both are multimode, primarily clean compressors with sidechain EQ and good visual feedback. Does anyone have both to comment on the differences?

Return to “Effects”