IK Mulitmedia T-RackS TASCAM Tape Collection available now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I demoed it today, this seems IMO a very attractive bundle and likely very accurate modelings of these peculiar tape machine as far as i could judge, but i have to deplore the heavy CPU weight ...even on my M1/Big sur Macmini !!!

:dog:

...too bad because it could quickly turn unusuable if you intend to place them in numerous track insert in a project (like the tascam388 and its semi-parametric equalizer as a owned one by the past), and i sincerely hope the next apple silicon native support might light the problem a bit

:(

Krakatau wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm I demoed it today, this seems IMO a very attractive bundle and likely very accurate modelings of these peculiar tape machine as far as i could judge, but i have to deplore the heavy CPU weight ...even on my M1/Big sur Macmini !!!

:dog:

...too bad because it could quickly turn unusuable if you intend to place them in numerous track insert in a project (like the tascam388 and its semi-parametric equalizer as a owned one by the past), and i sincerely hope the next apple silicon native support might light the problem a bit

It's the same with the other IK Tape products and IK doesn't seem to want to give us an option to reduce quality to get CPU back. I love plugins that give me a lower quality for mixing and a higher quality for rendering. With IK I sometimes end up having to repalce them with other tape emus because I need to keep working and their unadjustable high CPU usage makes them unusable.

Krakatau wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm I demoed it today, this seems IMO a very attractive bundle and likely very accurate modelings of these peculiar tape machine as far as i could judge, but i have to deplore the heavy CPU weight ...even on my M1/Big sur Macmini !!!
How much CPU is one instance taking on the M1? (Your DAW should be able to show you a percentage in its performance meter.)
Krakatau wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm ...too bad because it could quickly turn unusuable if you intend to place them in numerous track insert in a project (like the tascam388 and its semi-parametric equalizer as a owned one by the past), and i sincerely hope the next apple silicon native support might light the problem a bit

Additional instances shouldn’t really impact your CPU performance too much until you max out your cores, which on the M1 is 4 high performance cores. So you should be able to do 4 tracks with tape on each.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

to be fair it's likely inherent to the latest technologies (using AI) because TAIP from baby audio for instance is also quite CPU consuming

I'd love to see IK do a creative tape emulation with adjustable wow and flutter, tape speed adjust, some random tape drop-outs and crosstalk associated with more "lo fi" efforts and machines in a bad state of alignment/repair.

Scotty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 pm I'd love to see IK do a creative tape emulation with adjustable wow and flutter, tape speed adjust, some random tape drop-outs and crosstalk associated with more "lo fi" efforts and machines in a bad state of alignment/repair.
There is a nice little gem in Amplitube called "Tape Cassette".
It has some of the features you mention: Wow, Flutter, Saturation, Tapesnaps, Erosion and Noise.

BTW it is also to find in a reduced form as one of the main effects in Sampletron 2.
I discovered "Tape Cassette" months ago through Sampletron 2 and even bought it as effect for Amplitube because it has a nice flavour I could not find in other LoFi Cassette effects.

But of course as the name implies it is about cassette and not about bigger tape machines.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 11.04.21.png
as you can notice, CPU inprint is about 45% on Macmini M1/big sur ...either on 8 core or "optimized as recommended" (4 core)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Would this qualify for the group buy?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 am Would this qualify for the group buy?
No.

Krakatau wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 am Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 11.04.21.png

as you can notice, CPU inprint is about 45% on Macmini M1/big sur ...either on 8 core or "optimized as recommended" (4 core)
Well that's weird then. On my Ryzen 5900 it's around 7%-8%. Perhaps it's because this isn't native to M1 or there is a bug or something. You should report a ticket.Anyway I would expect better CPU utilization I mean not 45%.

Daimonicon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:49 am
Aloysius wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 am Would this qualify for the group buy?
No.
Thank you :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

kmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 am On my Ryzen 5900 it's around 7%-8%. Perhaps it's because this isn't native to M1 or there is a bug or something.
very likely

Krakatau wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 am as you can notice, CPU inprint is about 45% on Macmini M1/big sur ...either on 8 core or "optimized as recommended" (4 core)
That's identical to my 2016 MacBook Pro.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

teacue wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 am There is a nice little gem in Amplitube called "Tape Cassette".
It has some of the features you mention: Wow, Flutter, Saturation, Tapesnaps, Erosion and Noise.

BTW it is also to find in a reduced form as one of the main effects in Sampletron 2.
I discovered "Tape Cassette" months ago through Sampletron 2 and even bought it as effect for Amplitube because it has a nice flavour I could not find in other LoFi Cassette effects.
I believe this in MixBox, too. I wonder if these are all the same algos?

Return to “Effects”