PSA (no joke) for anyone with a mic and a DAW

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Rad Grandad
34972 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:25 am

We all have the ability to record...please hear me out...use it to record your loved ones, ask them to come up with a short message for you that they would want to carry with you forever.

You see the one thing I will never have, is Denise's voice...I got pics, but with all this technology I never did that, her phone was just an Obama phone and long gone.

I called Holly to tell her that I wanted us to do this, she cried right away...she's in the same boat as me, she lost her husband in 2014 and no recordings of his voice.

Hate me but please dont hate my message, you or a loved one may likely really appreciate it one day.

Edit: great xmas gift idea
Words are a barrier to help-seeking and a motivator for making discrimination acceptable.
Mad Pride
If there is a direction to mankind, it ought to be a coming together Brian May

addled muppet weed
86245 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am

8)

addled muppet weed

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 am

melomood wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:40 am
I think these days that sort of thing gets captured on phone videos alot
the only sound i have of my missus, is when shes just falling asleep, she often does this "uuuhhhhheehhhhhhuuhhgghhhhhh...." sound. freaked me the f**k out the first time :lol:

addled muppet weed

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

my last phone had stuff on id like, but dropping it and smashing it to pieces means i cant get at it.
yeah, some stuff gets recorded here n there, i have plenty of rosie and kieran and jane for example, although nothing other than pics of kieran at that age. we did have video cameras as well, but things get lost over the years when you move a lot :? and getting divorced meant i lost some stuff too.

addled muppet weed

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 am

i think the idea is get a message, say something meaningful.
not just random video of things happening, which are nice because thats the memories being made, but an actual message is nice.
eg, rosie, obviously cant read yet, but the inside of her cards, i do a full page, just about things shes done or ive done this year, so when shes older, shell have all these messages from granddad, as theyre putting cards away, theyre sturdy and last. if i wrote to her, it might get ripped easier, its not as nice to look at (i use recent pics on her cards too) and isnt being kept in a big bundle shell revisit on her birthday when shes older, an old box of letters, she has to be inspired to dig it out ;) thinking ahead ya see!
wont be here forever, also lots of dos and donts

do believe in the impossible
dont forget your dreams :ud:

Rad Grandad

Topic Starter

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 am

I have recordings from my sisters funeral of my mom and dad. My father was too devastated to talk so he and I recorded his testimony but I also recorded the entire service, but I didnt really think of this with my wife who was 13 years younger than me.

Of course, it might be nice to have a special message recorded...like I said in the first post...a message they would like you to carry with you, something personal. :shrug:

You're all set great, awesome...others might like the suggestion...have a nice day.
Words are a barrier to help-seeking and a motivator for making discrimination acceptable.
Mad Pride

KVRAF
2517 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:23 am

:tu:

Ngl, I teared up a bit reading that.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

KVRAF
2119 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:07 pm

Hink - Great point! I cherish the brief vid of the last time I talked to my mother in person (she knew she was dying at the time, then we talked many times in the remaining ~6 months of her life).

Do you have any old answering machines sitting around in a basement/attic/garage that might possibly have snippets of Denise's voice?

Rad Grandad

Topic Starter

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm

Winstontaneous wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:07 pm
Hink - Great point! I cherish the brief vid of the last time I talked to my mother in person (she knew she was dying at the time, then we talked many times in the remaining ~6 months of her life).

Do you have any old answering machines sitting around in a basement/attic/garage that might possibly have snippets of Denise's voice?

nah, it's impossible to remember at this point too.
Mad Pride

KVRAF
6835 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Down the Withywindle

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:10 am

I've often thought the same thing, Hink. I can barely remember my mom's voice, it's been over 33 years.
My father in law: he had some stories to tell, this is someone who could've given mindblowing stories about the end of WWII, but he could never talk about it. He and his aunts and sisters fled in the face of the Red Army from East Prussia in Jan. 45, and he's told me a few stories.
That's kinda different. We all have stories and experiences, and they die along with our brains. A specific message…I'll leave a few video messages for my wife for her to find should I pre-decease her.
My best friend's voice is all over our cassette recordings before takes and things like that. It is natural though sad to hear him/us together knowing it will never happen again. It would've felt artificial on his part to record a message for posterity to me.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
Upton Sinclair.

Rad Grandad

Topic Starter

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:23 am

Thank you my friend...on another note like I said elsewhere I am on vacation but not really traveling...I am leaving Maine, will be there for a bit (mass :hihi: ) and going to Conn with Holly. My mom died before the pandemic, her Ashes have been at the funeral home since, going to get mom.
Mad Pride

KVRAF
11381 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:15 am

iPhone user since day one with full iCloud backup. I’ve got lots of amazing sound and footage. (Can you call video footage? Bitage?)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Rad Grandad

Topic Starter

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:31 am

thats awesome...tbh even the woman at the funeral home loved the idea because so many of us dont think about this, or dont want to think about it...in my case I was certain being older I would go long before she did. Also ftr, there was a time where I might not have listened to it because I was so lost, but now I long for it.
Mad Pride

addled muppet weed

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 am

i think many don't think about it, or even if they do, don't necessarily want to say the words "for when one of us is gone" as people don't like to think about death.

while it is awful to go through the loss, it's one of the few things we all have in common, rich or poor, black or white, male or female ...
you're gonna die. (me too).

while im not suggesting we celebrate death, we in the west, do have a very weird taboo with it imo.
my instructions, as for my wake to be fancy dress (super hero or star wars, specific!) as id like people to remember my fun times.

sadly, i can't afford to be made in to fireworks, or i bloody would!

but yes, it's great for those of you who are organised, but we ain't all you!

:)

addled muppet weed

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am

was talking to kieran (my son for those who don't know) about similar things.

his gran (mum's mum) is 90 odd, and not long for the world with various ailments. he's been trying to get some bits, for when rosie is older, but june, being old, thinks every time he points a camera at her, thinks she's getting her picture taken so just stops and grins at the camera
it's a weird series of videos as it's about 30 seconds, then she notices and moves to pose, freeze. every time! :lol:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”