Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
User avatar
KVRAF
2491 posts since 31 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Unaspected wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:10 pm
Absolutely. I wrote that in consideration of the full build.
Very off topic: I wonder what uses the most power - a (modern) music PC that you use a couple times a week (for a few hours) or a coffee machine 3x daily... :phones:

User avatar
KVRian
1233 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 pm

T-CM11 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Unaspected wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:47 pm
Very much agreed. A good case with the right fans and heatsinks wherever possible will be the most silent solution - along with keeping the power draw low.
The power draw of cooling fans is negligible compared to any other part in a PC.
:-?

Keeping the power draw low is to generate less heat which keeps PWM fan speed low and thus less fan noise.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRAF
2206 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:51 pm

jamcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 pm
T-CM11 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Unaspected wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:47 pm
Very much agreed. A good case with the right fans and heatsinks wherever possible will be the most silent solution - along with keeping the power draw low.
The power draw of cooling fans is negligible compared to any other part in a PC.
:-?

Keeping the power draw low is to generate less heat which keeps PWM fan speed low and thus less fan noise.
This.

Simply a logical statement.

KVRer
16 posts since 13 Nov, 2004 from nyköping - sweden

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:30 pm

I just jumped into the saddle after 10 years of hiatus and was blown away of how much my Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCSI
with 16GB ram could handle.

So far I have never been able to make a project that push it further than 20% CPU usage, and if needed I can always resample or OC the CPU. It is hard to imagine that I ever will need more.
Maybe only if i go all out Hans Zimmer with full orchestral plugins or start to rewire stuff.
----------------
VST newbie and KVR-VST groupie
----------------

KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:14 pm

For warm and punchy sound. https://www.sequential.com/product/prophet-6/
Vintage with a Modern Twist
The Prophet-6 is Dave Smith’s tribute to the poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But it’s not simply a reissue of a classic. Rather, as Dave puts it, “It’s the result of our effort to build the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible.” The Prophet-6 takes the best qualities of the original Prophet-5—true voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers—and adds enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. The result is pure, unadulterated analog tone with the stability and reliability of a state-of-the-art modern synth.
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

User avatar
KVRian
1233 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am

I don’t think you understood the question.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRAF
2491 posts since 31 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:48 am

araviel wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:30 pm
I just jumped into the saddle after 10 years of hiatus and was blown away of how much my Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCSI
with 16GB ram could handle.

So far I have never been able to make a project that push it further than 20% CPU usage, and if needed I can always resample or OC the CPU. It is hard to imagine that I ever will need more.
Maybe only if i go all out Hans Zimmer with full orchestral plugins or start to rewire stuff.
Your hiatus is showing. :D

I can think of enough plugins that CAN push your new CPU to the limit.
(among the ones that I have myself: Pigments, Kaivo, Matrix 12 V)

KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:15 am

jamcat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am
I don’t think you understood the question.
The question "Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?" is illogical. :dog:

A PC does not make the sound. A sound generator does that. And besides that, "warm and punchy" is strictly a subjective characteristic.
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

User avatar
KVRAF
4311 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:26 am

zzz00m wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:15 am
jamcat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am
I don’t think you understood the question.
The question "Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?" is illogical. :dog:

A PC does not make the sound. A sound generator does that. And besides that, "warm and punchy" is strictly a subjective characteristic.
Sarcasm. :tu:

A reference to endless number of "warm and punchy plugin" threads, which lead to nowhere.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

User avatar
KVRian
1233 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:44 am

Besides, the right answer to “a warm and punchy sound” is a Marshall JCM, not a Prophet 6.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am

Just because it goes to "11" does not guarantee "warm and punchy". Loud maybe... :wink:
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

d23
KVRer
8 posts since 3 Nov, 2021

Post Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:25 pm

These days I don't think I'd get anything but SSDs. Price for SSD storage has just gotten insane. That being said, I did see a 14TB external WD USB drive the other day for $200. Really tempting, until I realized most of the stuff I'd want to keep on it I would want quick access to. Perhaps loading stuff up in your DAW's cache would be fine though?

KVRAF
30020 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Is that site down? Bombs me with security checks...
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:57 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:36 pm
Is that site down? Bombs me with security checks...
Same… :?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”