Soundspot Oracle

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
1079 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:34 am

I was introduced to Soundspot when I demoed they're Firefly compressor. I was looking for a compressor that glued tracks together and more importantly added weight and thump. Firefly did exactly that. I tried matching the settings with other compressors and transient shapers before and Firefly just worked way better the any other combination of the 30 compressor and transient shapers I have.

And since I'm really into mid side panning I easily fell in love with Axis and MSW2. Even Propanes interface is worth the money not to look at Voxengos god awful gui.

I'm not into eq's like that but Paradox is insane the curves it allows you to make are extremely useful and it just works really well. And Overtone is awesome because it's mid side, adds subtle saturation, and has really gentle curves because you boost the crap out of it without throwing off the balance. Velo is a really good character limiter.

But the thing I like most about they're plugins is they got great GUIs and they're super light on cpu which tells me they have some solid coding behind them.

KVRist
152 posts since 13 Sep, 2014

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 am

Can't resist topic reanimation, this one was just too epic, what a masterpiece, all the twists and turns it took over the years.

Yes, I think the consensus is after all, Oracle as a reverb is not even as good as the single-knob one built into a cheapo VSTi. Marketed all wrong. What it is is kind of a time-based multieffect with the reverb module always as the central element. And for that, it can be a fun, inspiring little toy.

And we all understand by now that the "retail prices" for SoundSpot products are not really what anyone with a particle of shopping sense pays for them. I have almost all of their line and I don't think I've ever paid more than $6 for one of them, and a few times they were free.

My take on SoundSpot is that they seem to be uneven in the quality department. By that I don't mean their stuff is crashy, on the contrary, it seems to be quite stable. Rather I mean that the processors are sometimes good or even great, and other times unmemorable or even poor.

If I had to guess, I would say that they are buying the processors from one or more outsourced programmers and the (excellent) GUI design from somewhere else.

The GUI's are what they really have going for them, most of them are beautiful, informative, and inspiring.

There is only one of their products that I would say is not even worth the download and that is Percolate. I foolishly bought it years ago when it was part of some sale, for pocket lint, and I was having a hard time getting my drum mixes together. I think it was a bundle with their otherwise at least somewhat useful Kickbox. I wasted more time than I care to disclose figuring out that Percolate is just a stupid EQ turned on its side with pictograms of percussion instruments for reference.

There are some like Voxbox that don't do anything you can't do without using any plug-ins at all in your DAW, or even using iZotope's free Vocal Doubler, but I just picked up Voxbox for a buck, and damned if it doesn't do a great job of presenting the width and mix information in a truly useful manner. Really shows you what you're dialing in.

And that's kind of the essence of a lot of SoundSpot's stuff: maybe not bleeding edge as far as processing, but a really good GUI. And that is something that I think is important. The more information the better, and the more attractive a piece of gear or software looks, the more it inspires me to want to be creative with it. Some people might want it to be one way, but it's the other way.

They're just not a plug-in house where everything is going to be something you're going to like and find a use for. Use the trial versions, that's what they're for.

Some of their products are ones that I think should be snapped up when their sale price drops to a suitable level:

Hiku is a really nice mastering effect processor for EDM type tracks. Firefly is a quite capable and versatile compressor, Nebula is a wicked fun modulation multieffect, Velo is a capable limiter (I've not tried Velo2 yet) with a characteristically excellent GUI, Axis is a really nice multiband compressor and imager. Those are my favorites. Buying any of them at a deeply discounted price will not lead to buyer's remorse.

I also sometimes find use for the Overtone EQ, and just picked up some new ones, the Kinetik compressor, Kara, which seems to be a triggered envelope filter, and I'll probably pick up Cyclone mastering compressor, which seems to get great reviews and is now on sale for $8, so will go into the lead as being my most expensive SoundSpot plug-in.

KVRist
288 posts since 9 Sep, 2017

Post Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am

some weeks ago i discovered nevo, and love how crazy and versatile it is.
start from the presets, very wide range of sounds.
eg. i used it as a vocal fattener in a mult/parallel construction with other effects.

KVRist
186 posts since 5 Dec, 2014 from London

Post Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:14 am

Thing with Soundspot is that some products are a bit meh and some others are really good.

Love me Halcyon and use it on every session, altho probably not for the purpose it has been designed for.
I found out that if you have a track that’s bass shy, like a poorly recorded acoustic guitar or piano, you can run it into Halcyon with the band set between 30 and 100 hz and conservatively increment the distortion.
That brings out the fundamental of the sound in a very powerful, natural and unobtrusive way. It’s its own sound and I can’t replicate that with any other plug including Saturn 3.
Also. You know when you’re done mixing and you realise you went bass shy a bit?
Slap that thing on the master bus and do the same. It’s like magic.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Return to “Effects”