XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have found new love for XO in a Reason Rack with the players...perfect pairing-

4 Note (Euclidean sequencer)
Drum Sequencer (Like Drum Computer!)
Topographic Drum sequencer (NI Grids!)

I have everything I need now in 1 reason rack with any DAW.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Was kind of hoping for some improvements to XO by now or at least an announcement of a v2.
Current version, 1.2, dropped in June last year.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Current Version is 1.2.5 from 19/05/21. But no description or announcement wat was improved or changed.

fuse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:28 pm Current Version is 1.2.5 from 19/05/21. But no description or announcement wat was improved or changed.
That's interesting- first I have heard of that!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Maybe a Mac only fix? It seems Mac plugins have to be kept on top of or the O/S changes break them on a regular basis.
I'm not seeing any functional changes unless it's staring me in the face.

Cheers for the info though, I'd never have known as I just open their site and look at their release notes news page.
From now on I'll have to make a note to open the XLN Audio Installer on a monthly basis to see if anything is available to update.
FWIW I'm a programmer myself and hate doing documentation so I won't hold that against them too much, mind you I'm not selling a product that needs users to know about updates.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Yeah, XO has been a big let down from updates point of view. 1.2 was a great update, but nothing for more than a year is really disappointing. I keep trying to remind them on their Instagram once in a while, but if only it worked.

I am enviously looking at ATLAS 2....I am starting to think I bought Betamax when I bought XO over ATLAS!

Fortunately though, I am still happy with XO compared to Atlas 2. I demoed Atlas 2 and uninstalled it after few minutes. Not that it is not good, but I am just more comfortable with XO and it still has some neat features that I missed in Atlas 2.

I think better hold on to XO. Let's hope there will be a major update.

I'm holding and waiting, but its great to see the ATLAS Dev here on KVR listening to feedback and updating often...

Yes, that's quite encouraging for users. I wish XLN Audio guys took part in the discussions here. They told me they do refer to the topics on KVR, but unfortunately, none of our wishes have been implemented - at least it seems so since last one year.

Geist v1 had an incredible 'classify' feature that was tragically dropped in v2, and I don't think it would be hard to incorporate something similar into XO. The beauty of this feature was that you could pick a break, program a groove, then select a completely different break and all your programming would be intact. You could cycle through as many breaks as you like and you'd hear the same programming with different sounds. Like so:

https://vimeo.com/634562268

XO already has it, isn't it? I mean you can switch the sounds while keeping the pattern intact. Did I misunderstand anything?

I have never used Geist but If I understand well what I see in the video, the difference here is the slicer. You can load audio loops in Geist, which will then classify the slices/hits as Kick/Snare/hats etc so that you can replace the breakbeat with your own samples, while keeping the same pattern.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Oh yes, I read loops/breaks but still missed it when writing my comment. Sorry. That would be really interesting. And FWIW, I have also requested for a way to browse "loops" in the XO Space like one-shots. Not sure if that's feasible though.

Yeah, as EdSfer explained, it's about breaks rather than individual hits. I often love working with breaks as there's a uniformity to the sonics and you know straight away if you're in the ballpark. Would be so awesome to be able to use XO's 'find similar' function to replace sounds in a break too. So much creative potential!

Return to “Instruments”