One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm For anyone accusing me of taking advantage of guessing the synth ahead of time to spend extra time on my pieces, it’s not true. I’ve never spent more than 4-6 hours on any submission; have you? We all have other things to do. Some months are busier than others—another reason I have composed in advance. I was a big procrastinator as a kid; now I like to do my homework early.
Just ignore those comments, tickytock. There's nothing wrong with being prepared or doing a lucky guess. Saying that this violates the rules is essentially like you're not allowed to "practice" with any synth and prepare mix presets, autmoation curve presets or what so ever and things and stuff .... and then simply switch over to the Synth of the month and dial in the presets to replace what you have prepared :tu:
And btw sometimes there are glitches in the matrix and the essence shines thru for a moment ... if you know what I mean...

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm Meanwhile, I’ve noticed that some submissions and votes seem to slip in past deadlines. What about that?
Seeing that this discussion has indeed been about time limits, that is a fair point, esp. when seeing an entry for which all deadlines were missed ending up in the top 5. Not begrudging anyone anything, but discussing one time limit, while ignoring others is somewhat odd, imo.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm I don’t see why Spring Goose squawked about it. What is the “spirit” of a competition? From him, I don’t get the sense that it’s a friendly one.
Who could know? Because you deleted my what i said (comments).

FTR i said i think Tickytock's behaviour is "odd".

Delete what i say, then call me unfriendly. You're just a BEEP man!
Last edited by Spring Goose on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think essentially it is in the rules. What is the competition? to make a song in a month, the following month not the previous month after the synth is announced. That's what i understand the competition is.

All i said is i think submitting a song 5 minutes after the synth is announced is "a bit odd".

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm I think Ticky Tock submitting a song 5 minutes after the synth is announced is not in "the spirit of the competition". I thought i understood that the competition is making the song in the month when the synth is announced?
This is what you said.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm I think Ticky Tock submitting a song 5 minutes after the synth is announced is not in "the spirit of the competition". I thought i understood that the competition is making the song in the month when the synth is announced?
This is what you said.
But it isn't unfriendly. You said i am unfriendly.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm
This is what you said.
You deleted what i initially said to you on your Soundcloud comments.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm What is the “spirit” of a competition? From him, I don’t get the sense that it’s a friendly one.
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm I think the reason certain people win this competition is because most participant-voters are into composing a certain style of music—and rewarding others who do the same. Which suggests an unwritten rule of OSCs. It’s not as open to a variety of compositional styles as it appears to be at first.
My quick note on this "friendliness" stuff. Opinions on artistic things and all that... vary a lot, of course. However, what I really don't like, personally, is when things get out of hand and some grudge makes you vote in a weird way just because, and in a manner that hasn't got anything to do with the entry itself, even contradicting your earlier reactions on the track. That's really really not how to set an example if you genuinely value keeping a competition friendly. In that round, you commented on Elex's track: "A good enjoyable swim!", also pointing out "nice changes of pace" ... and when voting, it turns out, you voted 1. I can only imagine why that is, but it doesn't feel nice at all :(

Same thing on Spring Goose's track, you "Agree it's a nice groove" (direct quote of your comment), yet you voted 1. It just feels weird and rude.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:23 pm
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm I don’t see why Spring Goose squawked about it. What is the “spirit” of a competition? From him, I don’t get the sense that it’s a friendly one.

Delete what i say, then call me unfriendly. You're just a bullshitter man!
This is abusive. You should apologize, and you should grow up.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:44 pm

You should apologize calling me unfriendly.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm

You should apologize calling me unfriendly.
You have been unfriendly.

Guenon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:34 pm
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm What is the “spirit” of a competition? From him, I don’t get the sense that it’s a friendly one.
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm I think the reason certain people win this competition is because most participant-voters are into composing a certain style of music—and rewarding others who do the same. Which suggests an unwritten rule of OSCs. It’s not as open to a variety of compositional styles as it appears to be at first.
My quick note on this "friendliness" stuff. Opinions on artistic things and all that... vary a lot, of course. However, what I really don't like, personally, is when things get out of hand and some grudge makes you vote in a weird way just because, and in a manner that hasn't got anything to do with the entry itself, even contradicting your earlier reactions on the track. That's really really not how to set an example if you genuinely value keeping a competition friendly. In that round, you commented on Elex's track: "A good enjoyable swim!", also pointing out "nice changes of pace" ... and when voting, it turns out, you voted 1. I can only imagine why that is, but it doesn't feel nice at all :(

Same thing on Spring Goose's track, you "Agree it's a nice groove" (direct quote of your comment), yet you voted 1. It just feels weird and rude.
I've received similar treatment, of course. As for Spring Goose's track, a "nice groove" doesn't add up to a good composition. So what are all these nice-nice comments in OSC? What is the spirit of this competition, really?

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 pm
Please stop this now both of you.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 pm I've received similar treatment, of course.
Not from me, you didn't. I've actually given a '1' once. And it was definitely not to you. Please do not suggest otherwise ; it's tantamount to slander. End of.

tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 pm What is the spirit of this competition, really?
I didn't participate in this dispute, so here's my opinion from the outside:
The spirit of OSC... no, not like that. If you want to win here, then I think that first of all in OSC it is important (perhaps even more important than extracting unreal sounds from a synthesizer) the ability to mix and master tracks. They look at it, they evaluate it. Also important is sound design, the ability to create high-tech but still beautiful sounds. And the composition. In OSC (like everywhere else, say what you will) they love beautiful music, although this factor alone does not guarantee victory. I wouldn't argue with someone who said that your track is brilliant, I just liked it musically. So, he lost by other criteria. And finally, there is an influence of certain styles of electronic music in OSC, just at the level of preferences of the majority, but it is by no means overwhelming. Just listen to Taron - Reef (Oc 131: Single-X - 1st) or Photonic - Coming Home To Asgard (OSC 136: Odin 2 - 1st) or Kyle Benjamin - Sister Andesite (OSC 144: Rand - 4th) for example.

So, quality, originality and musicality (and maybe a little techno/EDM) is probably the shortest path to victory!

But... This is not the spirit of OSC!

The spirit of OSC is DoctorBob, which sends tracks from the last century every month and they almost never get into the Top 5, it's Kraftfaum with its cosmic rotations, Impedance Music with the almost unchanged Synthwave, RuediRena with a hundred kinds of stahl, Elex with his musical journeys, Taron with something out of categories, Aro with simple but soulful melodies, Rockingricky with something necessarily very rocking, and all the other OSCers who every month spend real time to unreal music, who can embark on any experiments, but will not do something against his nature for the sake of victory!

This is the real spirit of OSC!

And if you are like that, just join us to make music that you would like not only to evaluate, but also just to listen with pleasure, which is the highest estimation for any music!

And try not to swear here, not just you specifically. Just Spring Goose expressed dissatisfaction, I said that this is normal and the rules are not prohibited, someone else spoke out and everyone had a little discussion... It is the first time in your life that someone disagrees with your opinion?)

Return to “Instruments”