ROLI's writing on the wall happened

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I swear it seems like people are happy that Roli’s going though financial problems. I get that they’re not everyone’s cup’a, but so what? Isn’t it better that there are more things out there? They’re not Theranos, for f’s sake. They clearly thought they might ignite a new market for such things, and it turns out people are mostly closed minded and are happy with a design from the 14th century. I could have told them that, but I’m glad they tried. I hope the Rise will rise again someday.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:59 am I swear it seems like people are happy that Roli’s going though financial problems. I get that they’re not everyone’s cup’a, but so what? Isn’t it better that there are more things out there? They’re not Theranos, for f’s sake. They clearly thought they might ignite a new market for such things, and it turns out people are mostly closed minded and are happy with a design from the 14th century. I could have told them that, but I’m glad they tried. I hope the Rise will rise again someday.
Even if they go under, I am grateful that they opened up the MPE market. At the worst they have a positive place in MPE history!

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:59 am I swear it seems like people are happy that Roli’s going though financial problems. I get that they’re not everyone’s cup’a, but so what? Isn’t it better that there are more things out there? They’re not Theranos, for f’s sake. They clearly thought they might ignite a new market for such things, and it turns out people are mostly closed minded and are happy with a design from the 14th century. I could have told them that, but I’m glad they tried. I hope the Rise will rise again someday.
ROLI has created some very disgruntled customers on their path to bankruptcy. It's not like those that would rather see ROLI out of business are not justified after finding themselves burned by ROLI in one way or another. ROLI has some serious PR to work through to fix their reputation.

CinningBao wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:17 pm that's BONES! Leaving a trail of confusion and offense in his path..
"Communicate with this human at your peril!" the 1940's robot proclaimed
I reported him. I find no benefit to engage such dehumanizing rhetoric.

In case anybody else hates the rubber and jello surface of the Seaboard Block, one can have quite some DIY fun with that:
The "Seaboard Continuum" ;-)
SeaboardRightCorner.jpg
I finally decided today to try this and it worked out very nicely:
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=571571

So yeah, there may be a nice future market for those things just for parts...

Cheers,

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I use my Seaboard Block as a coaster.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

So Roli have writtn out today to Roli owners

"We'd love to hear your thoughts on the Seaboard as we prepare for the return of this iconic instrument next year!

Please take a few minutes to respond to our survey:"
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I've not received anything yet and I've got 7 devices registered with them. They keep sending me Lumi crap, though.
Amberience wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 amI use my Seaboard Block as a coaster.
Why? I use mine as my main MIDI controller in the studio, although I'll probably only use the Lightpads on stage, assuming we ever get another chance to get up on stage, of course.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 am I've not received anything yet and I've got 7 devices registered with them. They keep sending me Lumi crap, though.
Amberience wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 amI use my Seaboard Block as a coaster.
Why?
Because it is shit.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

In what way? Because mine if fuckin' awesome! I loaned it to my bandmate for a couple of months and when I finally got it back I couldn't believe that I'd gone without it for such a long time. I'd be open to buying yours from you if it's in good condition. How much do you want for it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Amberience wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:28 pm
BONES wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 am I've not received anything yet and I've got 7 devices registered with them. They keep sending me Lumi crap, though.
Why?
Because it is shit.
Let me guess: you tried it and decided "ooh this feels squishy, it's not a piano, oh no". Or perhaps you're just terrible at playing expressive instruments (no matter how easy they are to play), or perhaps you hate music that involves expressive dynamics, pitch bends, slides, modulation etc.... Or maybe you don't have hands?... that would explain it. Would be difficult to play with stunted stumps.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:04 am In what way? Because mine if fuckin' awesome! I loaned it to my bandmate for a couple of months and when I finally got it back I couldn't believe that I'd gone without it for such a long time. I'd be open to buying yours from you if it's in good condition. How much do you want for it?
Believe it or not, I'm not allowed to sell it.

The one I've got predates the newer versions with the more sensitive sensor. So when doing finger drumming on it, you can't really get acceptable ghost notes. There are also dead zones at the corners where it seems to need a proper hammering, versus the middle of the unit that doesn't need quite as much of a hammer.

The bluetooth connection is shoddy too. I wouldn't ever rely on it.

It's not that I don't like or appreciate multi-dimensional instruments; my main instrument is a guitar, so I'm fully on board with "doing things with fingers", it's just that the Block doesn't work very well.

The Seaboards are much better. I've got a Rise49 kicking around that I sometimes use.
Last edited by Amberience on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ou_Tis wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 pm
Amberience wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:28 pm
Why?
Because it is shit.
Let me guess: you tried it and decided "ooh this feels squishy, it's not a piano, oh no". Or perhaps you're just terrible at playing expressive instruments (no matter how easy they are to play), or perhaps you hate music that involves expressive dynamics, pitch bends, slides, modulation etc.... Or maybe you don't have hands?... that would explain it. Would be difficult to play with stunted stumps.

hahahahahahahaha!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Amberience wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:40 pmThe Seaboards are much better. I've got a Rise49 kicking around that I sometimes use.
I've had both and I much prefer my Seaboard Block.

Yeah that's not me at all. I just get cautious with restructuring etc. For the record I own a Seaboard Block, Equator 2, Cypher 2, Strobe 2. Sold a Rise 49, get along better with the Block.
I'm actually kinda convinced they'll do fine, I don't get why they stopped making the Block and Rise though? that's weird, people are waiting for them, must be some bad money management going on in the company? The fact they already have updates for the M1 for Cypher, Strobe, and Equator says a lot to me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”