XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

XO has been updated to 1.2.7 today but I can't see any changelogs.

dogzilla wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:03 am XO has been updated to 1.2.7 today but I can't see any changelogs.
It's been a while 1.2.7 was released, but yeah, no change log. Looks like minor fixes or compatibility updates.

Yeah can't usually expect much from a minor point upgrade.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I know others have mentioned the issue of not being able to map midi notes within the XO plugin so i thought I would share my solution here.

Fare warning, this only works with logic...
All others will have to rely on using xo to feed samplers and such, I know, it sucks, I even was using logic's "drum machine designer" previous to use xo as a playable plugin for my midi drum kit.

Any-who, here is the solution, will start at the beginning of the chain then just list everything happening, will supply pics or logic template if anyone gets stuck:

Gear:
-Roland TD1 midi drum kit (works with anything sending midi, tested it with 16 pad controller too)
-Macbook w/ logic x.5ish

Steps:
1. load two empty midi instrument track, load one instance of XO plugin in each.

2. Mute the first track

3. hit Command + 0 to open midi environment

4. go to mixer layer

5. select new, go down and add "mapped instrument"

6. select the "cable" button from the first muted track and drag to attach to the "mapped instrument" object. Then drag "cable" and attach the mapped instrument object to the 2nd xo track.

7. double click on the mapped instrument object, and taadaa, create whatever mapping you want!

8. important! to use mapping, exit out of midi environment, select muted xo track, arm for record. it will trigger the 2nd xo track similar to how "alias tracks" can be used with logic drummer"

Soo, that's it. I hope it helps, and hopefully i didn't miss a step, but i am happy to re-explain or i may edit this post if i read again and notice i missed something.

I figured this work around out today, and it really make it so much easier to use the xo plugin interface and use whatever midi controller i want, drums, weird pad mappings, dj stuff, etc. Plus with being able to hit random or just adjust each small sample within xo and swap out and test other samples while being able to perform with the plugin finally. idk maybe someone else posted about this work around but i couldn't find anywhere. :party:

It’s pretty easy to map MIDI in either direction with most DAWs, but never occurred to me to send MIDI from XO as it’s a pretty limited sequencer. As that was the first post in here for a month I’d kind of hoped it was going to be about a significant update, but I’m losing hope on ever seeing one.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:58 am As that was the first post in here for a month I’d kind of hoped it was going to be about a significant update, but I’m losing hope on ever seeing one.
Yep, got excited when I saw your comment and hoped to see some good news. I am firing up XLN Online Installer almost daily only to get disappointed.

It's become like Soundtoys. Either something big is going to come at some point or there's nothing to expect, with latter sounding more like it.

XO updated from 1.2.7 to 1.3. Again, no release log. Expecting at least a couple of small additions, but no clue whatsoever. It just opens the Splash screen again on first launch if you had previously disabled it and the GUI seems a tiny bit refreshed.

I gave up on XO and Bought ATLAS 2 which is only 49 USD right now!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:19 pm I gave up on XO and Bought ATLAS 2 which is only 49 USD right now!
Yeah, it's tempting me. But for some reasons I just can't get XO out of my mind. Perhaps because I like how it looks and now familiar with it. Also, I like the way the "Search" bar and "Space" area work in conjunction with each other instead of having multiple maps.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:21 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:19 pm I gave up on XO and Bought ATLAS 2 which is only 49 USD right now!
Yeah, it's tempting me. But for some reasons I just can't get XO out of my mind. Perhaps because I like how it looks and now familiar with it. Also, I like the way the "Search" bar and "Space" area work in conjunction with each other instead of having multiple maps.
I've been using the atlas 2 & xo trial now for 2 days...
Xo scanned my sample folder no problem...can't see that happening in atlas...wtf...

XO gui looks cooler....i'm going to uninstall atlas...junk..

now looking forward to a nice deal on XO for sure....atlas is just 80% light years behind in development gui & usability wise...
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AcrossTheSky wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:33 pm
Xo scanned my sample folder no problem...can't see that happening in atlas...wtf...

now looking forward to a nice deal on XO for sure....atlas is just 80% light years behind in development gui & usability wise...
Pretty much the same feelings here. XO might not have added anything in the last year or so, but it just looks way more polished and modern to me. It is probably the best thought out plugin I have ever used (very intelligently done), which tells why I don't want to leave it.

Not trying to say Atlas 2 is bad or anything. It's great, but I demoed it too recently and it did not cut it for me. Not sure if I should bother demoing again. Also, having both XO and Atlas 2 probably wouldn't make sense.

XO should go on sale very soon. Get it from JRR Shop with some additional discount. :tu:

I own both and used the both extensively since they came out. I personally prefer ATLAS2 (junk?) and haven't used XO since V2. Hanging on toi it in case its ever updated, but there have been no significant upgrades (or even feedback) since it came out several years ago...so I have just about given up on the developer.

Atlas gets constant updates and the developer is very active, Atlas 2 allows you to create separate maps (I prefer this) , far more comprehensive sequences (XO is way to limited to be useful so you have to sequence in something else), and more sounds at once (I can create standard MPC 16 pads or even PUSH 64 pad sets in one go)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I should have mentioned that I have steinberg backbone & only needed stg to map all the samples Kontakt uses , all of samples from mars & all noiiz.com stuff...Xo does the trick with additional bells & whistles to keep the party Hot...& yes the Gui is just a pleasure to look at - all on one screen.. If only Omnisphere stepped up the GUI battle ...lets say..2023 the earliest... :party:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:46 pm

far more comprehensive sequences (XO is way to limited to be useful so you have to sequence in something else), and more sounds at once (I can create standard MPC 16 pads or even PUSH 64 pad sets in one go)
Yeah, strengths of Atlas 2. I would love to see these in XO.

I am going to buy Groove Agent 5 if it goes on sale and it does have built in pattern editor. Might not be as fast as a sequencer, but at least I get more pads to work with and layer on, and can drop stuff from XO on it.

Too many synths and effects might be OK, but too many of drum production tools will only make things difficult, which might become the case for me and I am trying to avoid that.

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:46 pm I own both and used the both extensively since they came out. I personally prefer ATLAS2 (junk?) and haven't used XO since V2. Hanging on toi it in case its ever updated, but there have been no significant upgrades (or even feedback) since it came out several years ago...so I have just about given up on the developer.

Atlas gets constant updates and the developer is very active, Atlas 2 allows you to create separate maps (I prefer this) , far more comprehensive sequences (XO is way to limited to be useful so you have to sequence in something else), and more sounds at once (I can create standard MPC 16 pads or even PUSH 64 pad sets in one go)
The Atlas developer is pretty on it, we chatted about M1 compatibility (coming soon), and I think I'm sold. All I really want is Battery on Steroids in terms of the search engine, plus the ability to set up kits for Beatstep Pro, Live Drum racks etc. and export function for Live and Bitwig drum racks would be amazing.

To be fair, XO developers updated it for Apple Silicon already, so they do keep the software current anyway. 8 slots is silly, though I do love their AI.

Return to “Instruments”