Microtuning beginner questions

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have some beginner microtuning questions, that I possibly could answer myself by using a tuner and experimenting and I will definitely do it. But I would like to understand the concept first.

My goal is to use a pure fifth tuning, so it sounds more harmonic in one key and more dissonant in others.

I'm using u-he's Hive, that accepts .TUN files and Garritan's CFX and Pianoteq that both accept .SCL files.

a) I take a 12-tone Ptolemy or Pythagorean scale, generate a .SCL file or download one.
b) Load .SCL file in Garritan and specify a root note (named "Tuning Center" in Garritan). There are some options for the reference A, between A380 and A451. I would choose one.
c) Take that root note, compute it to a Hz according to the reference A from b) and than convert .SCL to a .TUN and import that .TUN in Hive. (I use this site for the conversion : http://microtonalsoftware.com/scl-scala ... erter.html )

My questions are:

1) Which scales are good for optimal harmony intervals, staying in one key? Are there better options for different modes, like Dorian or Phrygian?

2) By doing steps above, will both VSTi use the same tuning?

3) What happens with the "missing" MIDI notes if I use a 7-note scale? For example "F#" in a C major scale. Will all MIDI notes be shifted, because there are no 12 tones in an octave or will they be ignored by the VST or snapped to key? What happens if I use more than 12 tones? How will the MIDI protocol work? A MIDI "note" is a number, so shifting notes will be natural, but than it's impossible to use piano roll or a sequencer, because note names are something else?

Stirner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 am[...] I possibly could answer myself by using a tuner and experimenting [...]
You might find my Music Calculator useful. It can convert frequencies to 12ET midi notes & cents and vice versa.
Stirner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 amwill both VSTi use the same tuning?
If you give them both the same (converted) scale definitions, then they should :shrug:
Stirner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 am [...]
a) I take a 12-tone Ptolemy or Pythagorean scale, generate a .SCL file or download one.
[...]
3) What happens with the "missing" MIDI notes if I use a 7-note scale?
Me thinks you had no tones missing to begin with.
Otherwise behaviour is completely undefined.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

1) If you examine Ptolemy and Pythagorean scales, you will notice they are quite different. This may tell you enough to understand that such thing as "optimal" tuning does not exist (unless you want the accept the limitations of the system you decided to use.)If you are after triadic harmony - consonant thirds and sixths intervals are one comma step away from 3-limit Pythagorean intervals, so Pythagorean is not practical at all (in terms of equal temperaments - check 41 or 53 equal steps to understand why).
Since you are after a single (diatonic) key, use this scale or a subset of it:
1 16/15 10/9 9/8 6/5 5/4 4/3 3/2 8/5 5/3 16/9 9/5 15/8 2 = 13 different pitches, but only 11 in 12 equal (12 doesn't distinguish between Pythagorean and syntonic equivalents)
C Db D- D+ Eb E F G Ab A Bb- Bb+ B C (in the key of C = you can generate any of the diatonic modes and plenty of diatonic alterations like harmonic minor etc)

Use this site to preview the sound (with computer keyboard) and export a scl or tun file

https://sevish.com/scaleworkshop/?name= ... penv=organ

Still, what I gave you is only 11 notes in meantone temperament = 19, 31, 43, 50, 55 etc equal temperaments have all different colours, use a chain of 11 fifths (and 1 wolf fifth) to generate 12 notes scale. Meantone is way more adequate in dealing with Western music.

Here is Meantone-12 from 31 equal (basically, pure major third) = the mode is
C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
https://sevish.com/scaleworkshop/?name= ... penv=organ

Thank you! Very useful site.
I used a tuner and work with this scale now:
1 16/15 9/8 6/5 5/4 4/3 10/7 3/2 8/5 5/3 9/5 15/8 2

My goal is to create harmonic background/meditation music. BPM should be the root note frequency octaves below, all percussion tuned to root or fifths, and so on.

I played around with a tuner. For 7 tone-scales the behaviour is different. Garritan's CFX interpolates missing tones, so between C4 and C5 there are 11 always other notes and u-he stays with 7 tones in an octave, so the sequencer behaviour is completely unpredictable. If the start note is C4, than MIDI's C5 will be F5 and C3 goes to G3, and so on. Weird.

Try listening to some Harry Partch. His writings on music are good too.

So with U=he's synth the 7 note scale repeats every 8th midi note? For example: (1st note of the 7 note scale) = midi C, (2nd) = C#, (3rd) = D, (4th) = D#, (5th) = E, (6th) = F, (7th note of scale) = midi F#, (1st note an octave higher) = midi G? That's not unusual with vst synths. You could always add the missing tones to the scale file if you want the same mapping of the scale to the midi notes in Hive, etc. as the garritan does.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”