Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new MacBook Pro
- 14-inch and 16-inch versions
- 120Hz ProMotion HDR display
- Up to 64GB unified memory & 8TB Storage
- HDMI, Thunderbolt 4, SD card slot
- High Impedance Headphone out Socket
- M1 Pro or M1 Max silicon
- New keyboard, no Touch Bar
- Longer battery and fast charging

14”: $1999
16” $2499
Last edited by lb24569 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| MacOS Ventura MBP 14 M1 Pro 32GB RAM | PC Win 11 7950x3D 64GB RAM | Ableton | Bigwig| RME Babyface Pro | Yamaha HS8 |

As expected, the PC market got wrecked again.

I personally love(d) the TouchBar (especially as multi-touch midi controller/for writing automations etc.) but if i would make a living from music creation or sound design i would order a 16.2“ right now.
But so far my M1 Macbook seems enough.

Well, it's nice to see The iPhone Company take their computers seriously again. The era of Jony Ive's obsession with minimalist form over function has finally been swept away. They even brought back the ports "pros" have been begging for.

Hate the 'notch' and also like the touch bar, other than that looks pretty nice. $2499 also gets you a heck of a lot of PC though...

A lot of people have no interest in front facing cameras, this should be an option with no bloody notch!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I ordered the new 16" MBP with M1 Pro and 32 GB Memory...

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm I ordered the new 16" MBP with M1 Pro and 32 GB Memory...
I ordered the 16" M1 Max with 64GB and 4TB with AppleCare+ annual. I intend to keep this thing a good long while. Curious: What's your delivery date? Mine had already slipped to November 10-17.

SLiC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm Hate the 'notch' and also like the touch bar, other than that looks pretty nice. $2499 also gets you a heck of a lot of PC though...

A lot of people have no interest in front facing cameras, this should be an option with no bloody notch!
Lots of people use their laptops for Facetime or Zoom calls these days. I would have ordered a model with no camera/notch if it were an option but I understand why that will not happen... too expensive. I always keep a piece of electrical tape over my current camera on the MBP. Visually I don't care about the notch. It just means I will have to be more precise in cutting the next piece of electrical tape :hihi:

Took me a long time to like the touch bar. I'm fine going back to regular function keys.

I'm pleased to have the SD card built-in again. Thrilled about the mag-safe connector coming back. Plenty of times the mag-safe connector saved my laptop from tumbling while sitting in a cafe and someone accidentally yanked the cord. Of course, I no longer sit in cafes these days, but maybe once Covid subsides that will be a thing again. :)

Ordered the 16" base-CPU model with 32GB RAM. Should be here in early November. The part of my ass right under my wallet hurts like hell right now.

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm I ordered the new 16" MBP with M1 Pro and 32 GB Memory...
I ordered the 16" M1 Max with 64GB and 4TB with AppleCare+ annual. I intend to keep this thing a good long while. Curious: What's your delivery date? Mine had already slipped to November 10-17.
Nov 5th - 10th

I have no need of the M1 Max cause I am not doing video or animation anymore these days. I also don't use big sample libraries so 32GB memory is fine for my audio and photography needs. I ordered 2TB

Whenever they release the Mac Mini with the new CPU's, then I'll max that machine (pun intended) as my main studio computer.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 pm
teilo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm
Nov 5th - 10th

I have no need of the M1 Max cause I am not doing video or animation anymore these days. I also don't use big sample libraries so 32GB memory is fine for my audio and photography needs. I ordered 2TB
Same delivery date range, nearly identical config. Only difference is I stuck with the 1TB HD figuring I could always expand with an external drive if really needed.

I think the second you go off the base-config models, the delivery date gets pushed back.

Does everyone agree, at least based on what we know now, that Max's GPU processing power won't benefit those of use in strictly music production scenarios (e.g., don't do video whatsoever). For example, is there any way to parse out non-graphics threads to the GPU?
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

Wow!!!

I also chose the M1 Pro rather than the Max version cause for me, the MBP staying cooler and not having the fans come on is a priority. Whether that matters in this case, don't know... but I did not want to order the Max only to later learn that the Pro was quieter

:lol: Who cares about processors? They went back to magsafe power! Hallelujah!
My current MBP is still in good shape, so I'll stick with that for now but I may get a 16" with an M1 Max in the spring.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”