2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:29 pm [...]
different loopers for different purposes really, the boss and digitech imo are more for setting up a rhythm track to play over, whereas the feedback loopers are more for building an ambient flowing piece (my uses im sure others have their own). :)
Demora has a delay range of 20-micro-seconds to 10-seconds. Unfortunately, the documentation on all of the Aira modules is abysmal. This was handy for me, to 'see' what was going on. I absolutely love the no menu hands-on immediacy.

https://youtu.be/YfMshV_03Aw

p.s., was discussing the merits of spring reverb with Richard Nicol (Pittsburgh Modular) last night during a 'drone' live stream, and he disclosed that they are coming out with one soon-ish, that will have a built in 'Tilt EQ', and feedback.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

vurt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:19 pm possibly a playtime engineering blipbox :)
'after dark' model or original?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am
vurt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:19 pm possibly a playtime engineering blipbox :)
original i think, she's still loving the bright colours n stuff :hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am
actually, do you know if there's a difference? or is it just the colour scheme?
probably still be going bright and playful, not getting blamed for creating a new trent reznor.
i only had a quick look last night, as im on my phone, will have a proper look later.

hmmm the after dark has a resonant filter and stereo delay :o
the home page is great, has them in actual studios too :lol:
not just or kids!! it has midi in as well (both do) but maybe ill wait a bit, and get the after dark.

although im sorely tempted, to have it here for her to play with when she visits 8)

https://blipblox.com/

This year I haven't bought a lot. Picked up a bargain PRS SE Standard. The price was so good I couldn't say no. Also bought a Reminder multi-fx from Enjoy Electronics via Patreon, and a Yamaha 01V 96i mixer (my first digital desk) in the sales earlier this year. Very happy with all of them :) I'm tempted to grab the new Dreadbox Nymphes. Six voice desktop analog poly with effects (and memory slots) for only £429 (pre-order at thomann).

Right now the Elektron Digitone is in the lead to be my next box.
Sounds great, I never forgot the Yamaha DX200 I used to jam on in the store years ago, hopefully it will better since it is quite a bit more and the sequencing via Elektron will be everything it's hyped to be.
These last few months with the Prologue I have loved the little FM engine in there and I think more can only be better.

vurt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:36 pm hmmm the after dark has a resonant filter and stereo delay :o
not just or kids!! it has midi in as well (both do) but maybe ill wait a bit, and get the after dark.

although im sorely tempted, to have it here for her to play with when she visits 8)

Inetersting, hadnt actually realised they were different!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 pm This year I haven't bought a lot. Picked up a bargain PRS SE Standard. The price was so good I couldn't say no. Also bought a Reminder multi-fx from Enjoy Electronics via Patreon, and a Yamaha 01V 96i mixer (my first digital desk) in the sales earlier this year. Very happy with all of them :) I'm tempted to grab the new Dreadbox Nymphes. Six voice desktop analog poly with effects (and memory slots) for only £429 (pre-order at thomann).

The nymphes is a perfect size! I like the simplicity. I’m not a fan of the secondary shift controls but I’ve learned that’s it not the end of the world as many of those same settings are things I’m only adjusting during initial patch creations.

I might “have to” buy one of these. I really want at least 6 voices of polyphony but most everything has more features than I want right now, or I love the features but the synth would take up too much space.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:50 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:36 pm hmmm the after dark has a resonant filter and stereo delay :o

yeah, was surprised myself really. was expecting it just to be the paint job, for people who don't want an obvious child's toy on stage with them :hihi:

makes it difficult though, as at her age, the coloured one will be more attractive i imagine, but the dark one has the better filter and delay :cry:

decisions!

The dark one looks more "pro". Quite pricey for a toy imho ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:54 pm The dark one looks more "pro". Quite pricey for a toy imho ...

its not really a toy 8)
its an actual midi controlled synth. admittedly designed for 3 year olds :hihi:

its less expensive than her pulling granddad's modular off the shelf :lol:

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:50 pm

yeah, was surprised myself really. was expecting it just to be the paint job, for people who don't want an obvious child's toy on stage with them :hihi:

makes it difficult though, as at her age, the coloured one will be more attractive i imagine, but the dark one has the better filter and delay :cry:

decisions!
O.k., as a granddad, yes, the coloured one is more 'age' appropriate. The colours and arrows (this-links-to-this, 'guides') are functional and attractive for a reason. However. They both have the same knobs, buttons, throttle-sticks, and a plethora of blinky-lights, which could easily be embellished to taste, during quality 'stickers' and/or 'glitter' and glue-time, with granddad. :party:

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

hmmm good thinking!
still may wait till next year, but its good to see theyre making actual synths, in the same style as your average kids keyboard.
something that will actually teach them the basics of synthesis! 8)

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 pm hmmm good thinking!
still may wait till next year, but its good to see theyre making actual synths, in the same style as your average kids keyboard.
something that will actually teach them the basics of synthesis! 8)
Indeed. A supplimentary mini-keyboard controller, or a Korg SQ-1, would broaden the scope of possibilities, for both live play and sequencing basics, without breaking the bank.

{aside} ... gluing two-pronged (two-bumps) Lego bricks to the top of the knobs (or anywhere-else), would provide a 'base' to stick lego characters to them... protracting the engagement. Obviously, different characters, would have an effect on the tunage. {2c}
Lego Band-2.jpg
Lego Band.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”