Presswerk vs Pro C2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I demoed tb compressor 4, and i think that pro-c2 has better a more refined workflow. Cant recall what specific, i just got anywhere faster with pro-c2. There’s some neat features in comp4 tho.

and 29€ vs 149€ is a nobrainer, one is either terribly underpriced or the other is overpriced.

so I would say if you want more a vintage style compressor then DC8C and more a modern style then the Toneboosters compressor)
haven't tried any TB products, but IMO the only thing really vintage about DC8C3 is the GUI.
It's sounding very modern to me though
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

rod_zero wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:00 am what other options are there for compressors with a lot of character, I make mostly electronic music so using the compressor to add character, punch and saturation is much more important.
I like NI Supercharger GT.

I've kind of gotten away from Presswerk. I went through a phase of trying to use it in mastering, and kept having a bit too much grunge that I'd then have to deal with. As soon as I dropped it from my mastering chain things got easier and smoother. But I never went back to using it for character purposes since I like Supercharger GT so much.

On the other hand, I can't quite bring myself to sell the license...

foosnark wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:22 pm
rod_zero wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:00 am what other options are there for compressors with a lot of character, I make mostly electronic music so using the compressor to add character, punch and saturation is much more important.

Before spending any money I would recommend trying first the free Molotok compressor from TDR...

A second great and cheap option would be MJUC from Klanghelm...

Both should fit the needs quite well

EDIT: And don´t forget the try all the Analog Obsession stuff... free (Patreon if you like) and hard to beat soundwise

foosnark wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:22 pm

I've kind of gotten away from Presswerk. I went through a phase of trying to use it in mastering, and kept having a bit too much grunge that I'd then have to deal with. As soon as I dropped it from my mastering chain things got easier and smoother. But I never went back to using it for character purposes since I like Supercharger GT so much.

On the other hand, I can't quite bring myself to sell the license...
I had super charger for a while but I felt it did too much and was hard to control, maybe I should look more into it.
dedication to flying

no one else using boz manic comp in here? that's my default one these days. it's a zero latency design so no lookahead but otherwise it has quite everything. the attack behavior at short values sounds similar to the good hardware comps to me.

acYm wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:59 am no one else using boz manic comp in here? that's my default one these days. it's a zero latency design so no lookahead but otherwise it has quite everything. the attack behavior at short values sounds similar to the good hardware comps to me.
I'm with you. Amazing plug. Like everything else Boz.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

acYm wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:59 am no one else using boz manic comp in here? that's my default one these days. it's a zero latency design so no lookahead but otherwise it has quite everything. the attack behavior at short values sounds similar to the good hardware comps to me.
I agree, it's a very, very good one. :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

FapFilter wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm
so I would say if you want more a vintage style compressor then DC8C and more a modern style then the Toneboosters compressor)
haven't tried any TB products, but IMO the only thing really vintage about DC8C3 is the GUI.
It's sounding very modern to me though
Have you played much with the "styles" presets? These are mainly based on famous compressors and tweak the RMS window and transfer function accordingly.

no, i only played “with the whole thing“
And while i agree with someone who once mentioned somewhere it was also somewhat modeled to mimic a Neve 33609 amongst others, i think it does it only partially as it might have such behavior, but usually still sounds much cleaner and less coloring than what i get from dedicated vintage compressors.
Not that it's a bad thing, i think it's actually superior, unless you are specifically looking for “old / vintage“
Of course i might be doing something wrong, but in my case, my wrong is actually more right (to me) anyway
The way i use it, DC8C is actually one of the cleanest compressors i know
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

C2 will get a job done but it sounds meh...
A good comp not just about gain reduction but it gives musical feel to the sound.
My SSL comp works its magic even with zero GR ! The combination of att,rel and ratio should determine the character.
Listen what they do to your track and.you decide which one suitable for the job.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

If you can't get a musical feel from C2 you're using it wrong

Skyfall72 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 am C2 will get a job done but it sounds meh...
A good comp not just about gain reduction but it gives musical feel to the sound.
My SSL comp works its magic even with zero GR ! The combination of att,rel and ratio should determine the character.
Listen what they do to your track and.you decide which one suitable for the job.
When I use Pro-C2 that's exactly what I want though: just gain reduction, with the lookahead, sidechain and efficient workflow. Flipping through a bunch of processors to 'see what they do with the materials' sucks. I don't have the time.

Pumping, Punch, Vocal and Opto all have nice musical feel tho. Sure it doesn't add harmonics/distortion, but so what? I can add that pre/post Pro-c2 easily anyway.
Clean doesn't have a musical feel or color - but i don't expect it to - i expect it to reduce gain as transparently and possibly without imposing anything over sound.

Return to “Effects”