Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll no doubt find myself a bit jealous of these beasts, with my M1 MacBook Air. I guess I'll be constantly wondering whether to trade in the Air and upgrade now, or to wait until the new machines pop up in Apple's refurbished section... though presumably by then the value of the Air would have reduced, perhaps making it pointless to hold off. Or even to hold off for a year or two for future models... who the F knows?

Real-world battery performance stats will be interesting, given all the horse power.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

echosystm wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:51 pm As expected, the PC market got wrecked again.
Wrecked the market ? Again ? Why again ? Did I miss something ? I just checked, and my PC is still working. In fact it still does everything I ever want it to do quite happily. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same can be said for all the estimated 2 billion PCs in the world. And last time I looked PCs were stiill selling quite well. Sure, the new Macs are very impressive if the graphs shown in the presentation live up to expectations, and it will shake up the PC market quite a bit, and that's a good thing, but its not going to wreck the PC market.

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:26 pm
echosystm wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:51 pm As expected, the PC market got wrecked again.
Wrecked the market ? Again ? Why again ? Did I miss something ? I just checked, and my PC is still working. In fact it still does everything I ever want it to do quite happily. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same can be said for all the estimated 2 billion PCs in the world. And last time I looked PCs were stiill selling quite well. Sure, the new Macs are very impressive if the graphs shown in the presentation live up to expectations, and it will shake up the PC market quite a bit, and that's a good thing, but its not going to wreck the PC market.
Yes, lets not forget they are very expensive (even if they are decent value for what you get) as they are aimed at people who need very serious CPU power...that is a niche.

For 'work' we have about 50 laptops, they all run Office 365 an do everything our business needs- they cost about $500 each...this is probably the 'bulk' of the computer market- dull and functional!

Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm

Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
What were they thinking with that notch ? Its extremely rare for Apple to make a design mistake, so I guess they will try and turn it into a design statement, hoping that people will grow to love it in time. In the presentation it was suggested that the dark theme sort of makes it disappear a bit.

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm

What were they thinking with that notch ? Its extremely rare for Apple to make a design mistake, so I guess they will try and turn it into a design statement, hoping that people will grow to love it in time. In the presentation it was suggested that the dark theme sort of makes it disappear a bit.
Yeh, I have the iPhone 13 max 'with the smaller notch' and it's about the only thing I really don't like, no notch on my new M1 iPad pro or daughters M1 Air, so why on the top of the range M1X?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:26 pm
With only two attempts to penetrate the desktop/laptop processor market, Apple are demonstrably doing a better job than both Intel and AMD. They should be embarrassed. Hence, wrecked.

Great strategy
-Remove headphones jack
-Bring it back and call it a feature :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Not terribly impressed, especially with the price. I'd probably still go with a maxxed out M1 machine over these. Unless I decide to use the theoretical limit of 1000 tracks, which I won't. Maybe future iterations of Logic will require the new grunt power, but I doubt that I do.
I'm glad I didn't wait on my M1 mini, though.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:25 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
Yeh, I have the iPhone 13 max 'with the smaller notch' and it's about the only thing I really don't like, no notch on my new M1 iPad pro or daughters M1 Air, so why on the top of the range M1X?
The iPads have a thick bezel so there’s something to grip onto without covering the screen and it’s big enough to hide the camera. People have been complaining for years about the MacBook potato-cams, so they finally put in a much better quality, larger sensor camera and it has to go somewhere. Would you prefer a big black bar just for the camera where 80% of that space goes unused? By pushing the menu bar up it frees up more vertical space for the actual content; The center of the menu bar is wasted space for every program I use, but I’m certain someone will write a utility that pushes the entire menu bar down and then surrounds the notch with a fake black bar so that it resembles the current M1 MacBooks.

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
Would you prefer a big black bar just for the camera where 80% of that space goes unused?
Personally I would prefer no front facing camera at all on a 'pro' audio/video laptop, leave that for the your iphone that you also have with you- in fact you can use your phone camera on the MB screen!

I suspect if they sold a second version without a front facing camera and no notch it would be more popular.
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 pm Great strategy
-Remove headphones jack
-Bring it back and call it a feature :lol:
They never removed the 3.5mm jack from the Mac. But, they did improve it this time with high impedance headphone support.
Last edited by Tronam on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Would you prefer a big black bar just for the camera where 80% of that space goes unused?
Personally I would prefer no front facing camera at all on a 'pro' audio/video laptop, leave that for the your phone. I suspect if they sold a second version without a front facing camera and no notch it would be more popular.
In 2020/2021? Really? Ever tried video conferencing at even a moderate level of professionalism for an hour with a cellphone?

Tronam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:32 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Personally I would prefer no front facing camera at all on a 'pro' audio/video laptop, leave that for the your phone. I suspect if they sold a second version without a front facing camera and no notch it would be more popular.
In 2020/2021? Really? Ever tried video conferencing at even a moderate level of professionalism for an hour with a cellphone?
Umm, iPhone on a tripod? I do that all the time. Works fine.

But the notch doesn’t bother me. First world problems I suppose.

As a photographer, I'm happy to see they brought the SD card slot back. Might finally be time to upgrade from my 2015 MBP.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 am Hmmm. Well, I use both, so I guess my OS is better than my OS. But it's just a simple fact that there's a lot less BS and wonky behaviour to deal with on MacOS. That's certainly been my experience. What's the world coming to if you can't even point out that obvious fact on a Mac thread? :ud:
Agreed. I’m an IT guy. I work with “pc’s” all day long.

At home I use a Mac. Have been since 2007. There’s no comparison. None. Now, I have a slight bias (logic is max only) but other than so updates, I’ve done nothing to my macs. Can’t say that about any windows box Ive used.

It’s like being a chef and coming home to skip the dishes. No fuss no muss the meal is just there, and it tastes good. No chopping slicing etc.

Same with computers. I “fix” them all day long, and when I come home I flip on the Mac and it just works.

The new chips look promising. Don’t need a laptop so a max mini would be great.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”