FL Studio Tricks...Better Name!! :-)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any Pattern can be of any length so linear sequencing is possible. You could create an entire song in just one pattern if you wished.

The thing about FL Studio is it doesn't just have one workflow. There are several ways to work. It's just a matter of finding the flow that works best for you.

The fact that FL Studio doesn't work like other DAWs is a strength to me not a weakness.

But again FL is not for everybody. No DAW is........ :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:38 pm Any Pattern can be of any length so linear sequencing is possible. You could create an entire song in just one pattern if you wished.

The thing about FL Studio is it doesn't just have one workflow. There are several ways to work. It's just a matter of finding the flow that works best for you.

The fact that FL Studio doesn't work like other DAWs is a strength to me not a weakness.

But again FL is not for everybody. No DAW is........ :shrug:
I know all of that... that´s not what I meant...

When I use the term linear sequencing I mean more the feature set present in actual linear sequencers than the basic theory behind it...

Just an example:

Audio and Instrument tracks are meant to be a more "linear" replacement to the complete "freedom" of FL Studio´s pattern system...
But the problem starts with all kinds of all-day-situations...

Let´s say I have an instrument track for the bass playing already the root notes of the chords I want to put on a new instrument track with a nice pad sound... and this is all-day practice I would say...

In a linear DAW I drag in my new synth ...copy over the midi clip by CTRL (sometimes ALT) + drag from the bass track to the right place on the new track and done...

In FL Studio in best case I have to first select the "Bass Pattern" ...open either the channel rack or the PR editor... copy the notes... drag in the new synth ... make sure I have selected the right generator and the new created pattern... open either the channel rack again or the PR editor and paste the notes in there... then I have to place the pattern into the right spot in the playlist because they thought it would be a good idea to ignore again the playhead position and every new pattern autocreated by making an instrument track is autoplace at bar 1 no matter what you try and where you actually would need it...

I am sorry... that´s not freedom... that´s how to torture people...
It is simply impossible to make such an easy task more complicated...

And that´s just a very small and simple example...
There are enough other tasks where the ratio is ridiculous... i.e. importing a pattern with a single generator, fx in the mixer and a bit of automation into a different project...

That´s in worst case a 2-3 click operation in every sequencer on the market... so what... 5 seconds work about??
In FL Studio this simple operation takes inbetween 5-10 minutes of concentrated work including hundreds of actions needed to be done to replicate this simple pattern...

For me personally I really have to fight very hard with myself to accept that the 3 or 4 advantages a pattern based workflow has over a normal sequencer justifies the thousands of restrictions and ridiculous overcomplicated workflow for even the simplest tasks...

Many would say now... If I dislike this way of working so much why don´t I change my DAW??

My answer would be:
Because I don´t use FL Studio of any superior workflow (which doesn´t exist, even if the hardcore fanboys tell themselves that with power every day) but because of how it feels and what it carries with it...

the best little sampler... the best slicer...the best stock EQ...the best vocoder... the best stock convolution reverb...the best audio editor... the "best" Patcher (however it is called in other DAWs)... the "best" Maximus (same like with Patcher)... the best stock Distortion plugins...the best Frequency splitter on the whole market!! ...the best plugin organisation and picker panels... the best Midi editor... the best Automation clips (since the latest beta)... to my taste the best Mixer...

I could continue this all day long...

And this is my dilemma ... the best...the best...the best... paired with the worst sequencer workflow I have ever encountered in my life!!

But I cannot have one without the other...

Either I have a better sequencer workflow paired with everything else which I could just call the second best ...if I could call it so... many alternatives available reaching perhaps 10% of what I can do with the FL native ones...
...or the (for me) worst workflow with the (for me) best tools... which do not cost me anything ever again once bought!!!

How would you decide??

So many problems and so little time.... :D :lol: :x :party:

You need to fine tune your workspace and workflow. You'll find a lot of your complaints will be solved. For example I've never "dragged" an instrument in FL. The Plugin Picker or Browser are the least efficient ways to add an instrument. I never have to open the Channel Rack because it's always open and so on....

Or you could just use another DAW that fits you better. I doubt very much that FL's core methodology will change at this point.

So we can either love it, learn to live with it, or move on...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"How would you decide??"

if it helps I'm using Cubase with BlueCat Patchwork (the only plugin wrapper in the known universe which able to send 'space' play/stop signal to the transporter of Cubase from opened child plugin windows, so doesn't steal the focus of the host) and the plugins of IL https://www.pluginboutique.com/search?q ... ses%5B%5D= and always playing a bit with the latest FLS betas so sending the bug reports to them constantly :hug: :D

ps. and Patchwork although not as flexible as Patcher able to reopen the previously opened plugins ...
Image without it I still would be an FL user ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

To EQ or not to EQ??? That´s the question! Thx very much for more than 1k subscribers!

Filters are causing all kind of damage to our sounds...
Is this something one should worry about??

https://youtu.be/WjHSUmemsRY

Best free VST Instruments as at 2021

Free VST Instruments I like best!

https://youtu.be/nolcG2kFMrY

FL Studio new Beta (#6): Great new Stretch Mode and more...! All new features explained!!

Feature walkthrough the newly added beta #6!

https://youtu.be/T4MA8VxKJaA

so much ways to work in fl, interesting to see how others use it!

FL Studio: The forgotten Automation..."Edit Events"!

The former automation method in FL Studio fell into oblivion...
Let´s recap how this worked and if we don´t miss something by letting it alone!

https://youtu.be/uBovS-SUNqM

FL Studio: Beta 7...Image Line on fire!

Rapid Fire!!
Image Line release new features faster than I can show or even use them...Help! :-)

https://youtu.be/EXnZq_m0XZ4

FL Studio: How to actually "Edit Events"??

Now let´s have a deeper look into the Event Editor with all tips and tricks!!

https://youtu.be/82mABAnTFzI

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 pmYou need to fine tune your workspace and workflow. You'll find a lot of your complaints will be solved. For example I've never "dragged" an instrument in FL. The Plugin Picker or Browser are the least efficient ways to add an instrument. I never have to open the Channel Rack because it's always open and so on....
The strength of the browser is for loading synths with presets already loaded and therefore, things like Reaktor instruments and effects - without having to fiddle around with loading anything afterwards, Patcher stuff, etc. And you can have pretty pictures for each plugin. :)

And, of course, preset processing chains for the mixer - including empty channels for emergencies - opposed to deleting things one by one.

I don't like the Plugin Picker thing either though. Can't think of an advantage in using it.

Unaspected wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 pmYou need to fine tune your workspace and workflow. You'll find a lot of your complaints will be solved. For example I've never "dragged" an instrument in FL. The Plugin Picker or Browser are the least efficient ways to add an instrument. I never have to open the Channel Rack because it's always open and so on....
The strength of the browser is for loading synths with presets already loaded and therefore, things like Reaktor instruments and effects - without having to fiddle around with loading anything afterwards, Patcher stuff, etc. And you can have pretty pictures for each plugin. :)
And, of course, preset processing chains for the mixer - including empty channels for emergencies - opposed to deleting things one by one.

I don't like the Plugin Picker thing either though. Can't think of an advantage in using it.
The thing is the brain can identify words much faster than it can "pretty pictures". That's why I always just use the Add function from the "+" tab on the Channel rack to add instruments and the mixer slots to load FX. If you organize your plugin database properly it's much more efficient than scanning a bunch of thumbnail pictures and I have hundreds of plugins.

I don't need to load synths from the Browser with presets already loaded since I try not to use the same patches all the time and in the end click is faster than drag.

I rarely have the Browser open let alone use it and have never used the Plugin Picker once since it was added years ago but that's the great thing about FL Studio, it has many different options for sculpting our workflow to fit what we want and need. :tu:

I can upgrade to All-Plugins Bundle for EUR96. Should I?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pm I can upgrade to All-Plugins Bundle for EUR96. Should I?
just if you like the way to where it goes ... https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1677030 theoretically it can duplicate tracks too from now (from beta8)
...Playlist (Right-Click) - Duplicate existing Playlist track/s, with the option to Clone Patterns, Audio Clips, Automation, Effects (in linked Mixer tracks) and Grouped Playlist Tracks...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”