Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
User avatar
KVRAF
1830 posts since 13 Sep, 2007

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:07 pm

paterpeter wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am
16GB to 32GB = +460€
32GB to 64GB = +460€

512GB to 8TB SSD = +2760€

Apple's pricing is so arbitrary and out of touch with reality, I'm actually laughing :D

Have fun with your new gadgets :tu:
2020 Core i9 32GB 2TB is $400 more expensive than M1 Pro 32GB 2TB. Considering that cost of Apple processors for Apple themself is cheaper than Intel ones they also having better margins.

Well looking at this thread and amount of people who want to buy -- this prices are quite in touch with reality because all early adopters would be 'shut up and take my money'.
Murderous duck!

User avatar
KVRAF
1921 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 pm

bmanic wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:45 am
paterpeter wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am
16GB to 32GB = +460€
32GB to 64GB = +460€

512GB to 8TB SSD = +2760€

Apple's pricing is so arbitrary and out of touch with reality, I'm actually laughing :D

Have fun with your new gadgets :tu:
This is by far the biggest issue with Apple. While the new processors are extremely impressive and the memory bandwidth and what it entails is extremely impressive (heck, even the SSD speeds are impressive!) the nickle and dime tactic of charging "silly prices" for expansion is frustrating to say the least. Especially when it comes to memory which can not be upgraded later nor substituted in any other way than getting what you actually need at the beginning.

SSD can be somewhat circumvented by purchasing an external SSD (it's what I did for my Mac Mini) but it'd be awesome if you could use 3rd party SSD within the computer.

Still, there's absolutely no denying that the new computers are absolutely mindbogglingly far ahead of the competition at this time. We'll see how long it lasts though.
These upgrades are expensive, but centralizing all of the components into a single SoC package is a big part of why M1 is so fast and power efficient. It's also how they've been able to reach memory bandwidth performance as high as 400GB/s on M1 Max. And unlike most other systems which depend on separate memory pools, much of it can be used by the GPU without the need to shuttle data across a much slower system bus. With the way this unified memory and storage is managed, most users probably don't need as much of it as they think they do. Even heavy sample library composers should be able to significantly reduce the overall memory footprint by lowering the preload sample streaming buffer because the internal SSD can easily keep up.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12577 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm

david.beholder wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm
It's destroying center alignment of laptop, causing leaning left and neck tilt. Very unergonomical.
Is that th eline you swallowed? Because I am sitting in front of my desktop keyboard at the moment and it is aligned exactly as it would be on a laptop, numeral pad and all. If you think about it, your mouse is even further away so anything in between your mouse and the centre of your keyboard is going to be in the right zone anyway. Also, a lot of professional software uses the numeral pad for hotkeys. e.g. In Blender, you use them to change the view - top, left, right, perspective, camera, etc. - which is something yo udo ALL the time when you are modelling. So what other pathetic excuse have you got?
jamcat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 pm
There are still Linux and BSD.
Right, because there is so much great software that runs on BSD.
Double Tap wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:20 am
Don't do it! Pretty sure that 'Bones buys a Mac' is one of the indications that the endtimes are approaching.
Up until they started removing all the ports, I always looked at a MB Pro when upgrading my laptop. Back then, price or lack of a suitable configuration counted against them but these days they are priced a bit more competitively so I'd at least be willing to consider them again if they could run Windows. But I am very happy with Studio One and from everything I've read, it runs like a dog on macOS.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

User avatar
KVRian
1214 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:25 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm
jamcat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 pm
There are still Linux and BSD.
For the record, I didn't write that.
Last edited by jamcat on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRian
1214 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm
Up until they started removing all the ports, I always looked at a MB Pro when upgrading my laptop. Back then, price or lack of a suitable configuration counted against them but these days they are priced a bit more competitively so I'd at least be willing to consider them again if they could run Windows. But I am very happy with Studio One and from everything I've read, it runs like a dog on macOS.
I use Studio One on Windows more than Mac, since that's my main DAW with twice as many cores. But I do also use it on my MacBook Pro and I've never noticed any doggy behaviour from it. I get better than 50% of my Windows performance, despite having 50% the CPU. Also, it's never crashed on my Mac, but like everything else, it has on Windows.

Also, PreSonus just released a Studio One update with full native M1 support, so I doubt that's going to be doggy.

And perhaps most importantly, Gregor uses a Mac to run Studio One. I trust Gregor wouldn't run Studio One on Mac if it was doggy.

I would like to go fully to Mac, but I would need a Mac Pro with a bunch of cores to do it. I was hoping they were going to announce an Apple Silicon Mac Pro yesterday, but I guess I'll be waiting another year.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRAF
20422 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:37 pm

echosystm wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 am
Single core Geekbench: 1749
Multi core Geekbench: 11542
Another geekbench score shows:
SC - 1745
MC - 12422

User avatar
KVRAF
1921 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:39 pm

UltraJv wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:56 pm
Nice try. Lets see how those figures hold up after 30 mins, thermal throttling and cache problems will have cut in by then. Apple still only have around 10% of the desktop market, maybe these will make it 11%. Not going to make a dent in PC stuff, sorry.
I’ve only used the M1 MacBook Pro. It does not throttle, ever.

User avatar
KVRian
1214 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:57 pm

Apple is worth 10x Intel and AMD combined. Of course their CPUs are going to be better. They wouldn't be building them if they weren't.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRAF
20422 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Tronam wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:39 pm
I’ve only used the M1 MacBook Pro. It does not throttle, ever.
I ordered the MBP 16" with the M1 Pro. My guess is it will not throttle either.

KVRAF
2345 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Those geekbench scores are impressive . A touch faster than my Ryzen 5950x in single core . Multi core reaches 75% of the 5950x . If they get another 4 or more cpu cores in the next m1 iteration they have a high end workstation competitor with a killer on board GPU . Amazing engineering.

KVRist
58 posts since 10 Mar, 2009 from Australia

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm

SLiC wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:25 am
dellboy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 am


Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
What were they thinking with that notch ? Its extremely rare for Apple to make a design mistake, so I guess they will try and turn it into a design statement, hoping that people will grow to love it in time. In the presentation it was suggested that the dark theme sort of makes it disappear a bit.
Yeh, I have the iPhone 13 max 'with the smaller notch' and it's about the only thing I really don't like, no notch on my new M1 iPad pro or daughters M1 Air, so why on the top of the range M1X?
Funny. I just updated my phone (1st gen SE) to a notched one and haven’t found the notch in anyway obtrusive. It’s existence is likely to do with the camera improvements.

Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:36 pm

jamcat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm
BONES wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm
Up until they started removing all the ports, I always looked at a MB Pro when upgrading my laptop. Back then, price or lack of a suitable configuration counted against them but these days they are priced a bit more competitively so I'd at least be willing to consider them again if they could run Windows. But I am very happy with Studio One and from everything I've read, it runs like a dog on macOS.
I use Studio One on Windows more than Mac, since that's my main DAW with twice as many cores. But I do also use it on my MacBook Pro and I've never noticed any doggy behaviour from it. I get better than 50% of my Windows performance, despite having 50% the CPU. Also, it's never crashed on my Mac, but like everything else, it has on Windows.

Also, PreSonus just released a Studio One update with full native M1 support, so I doubt that's going to be doggy.

And perhaps most importantly, Gregor uses a Mac to run Studio One. I trust Gregor wouldn't run Studio One on Mac if it was doggy.

I would like to go fully to Mac, but I would need a Mac Pro with a bunch of cores to do it. I was hoping they were going to announce an Apple Silicon Mac Pro yesterday, but I guess I'll be waiting another year.
Doggy? Woof woof.

KVRAF
8238 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 pm

rACatkvr wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm
SLiC wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:25 am
dellboy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 am


Still, these look lovely (sans the notch) and if you use MAC exclusively and are a power user I am sure they are a no-brainer :tu:
What were they thinking with that notch ? Its extremely rare for Apple to make a design mistake, so I guess they will try and turn it into a design statement, hoping that people will grow to love it in time. In the presentation it was suggested that the dark theme sort of makes it disappear a bit.
Yeh, I have the iPhone 13 max 'with the smaller notch' and it's about the only thing I really don't like, no notch on my new M1 iPad pro or daughters M1 Air, so why on the top of the range M1X?
Funny. I just updated my phone (1st gen SE) to a notched one and haven’t found the notch in anyway obtrusive. It’s existence is likely to do with the camera improvements.
I can certainly put up with it on a phone where the front camera is relevant to me, buy its distracting when you watch video full screen. Apple are working hard to remove it, making a big deal about making it smaller on the 13…they know it’s an ugly design, they will probably have got rid of it by the next gen phones and MBPs…nobody wants a notch!
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
KVRist
365 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:45 pm

Looking at the charts from the Apple launch, I do wonder if the new machines will be quite as quiet as the M1s. The M1 Pro I think pulls 30 Watts compared with about 11 or 12 by the M1. And I think the Max does quite a bit more, and the presentation did refer to an improved fan cooling system. The M1s don't throttle but we don't know yet if the M1 Pro and M1 Max will.

These machines look hugely impressive, but I have an M1 MBP and I don't know if extra memory and two extra CPU cores are going to be enough of a lure. My uninformed observations are that plugins do seem to make use of graphics power on the M1 so perhaps the extra GPU will make a big difference. We'll find out soon what the real world audio and DAW improvements are I guess.

KVRAF
8238 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:03 am

Yes, the Air M1 for example is super powerful, totally quiet and half the cost. It will probably be more than enough for the vast majority of users. Is anyone already maxing out their M1 AIR/Pro and feeling the need more CPU power?
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”