Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF

Topic Starter

5096 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm

^^^
It is the Piano Roll that has my interest.
Our now deceased friend David started the Piano Roll discussion on Apr 16, 2020.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&p=7729018&hi ... x#p7729018

KVRAF
5407 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Rest In Peace, David, and thanks for your generous contribution.

KVRAF
1802 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm
^^^
It is the Piano Roll that has my interest.
Our now deceased friend David started the Piano Roll discussion on Apr 16, 2020.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&p=7729018&hi ... x#p7729018
wow, that's sad - what happened?

KVRAF

Topic Starter

5096 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:32 pm

^^^
IIRC someone at KVR around April or May of this year posted that sadly David had died.

KVRist
170 posts since 13 Jul, 2005 from Longview, WA

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Oh no, that is sad news. :(.

I keep forgetting I have a bunch of the toybox stuff for Reaktor, that piano roll included. I need to revisit that piano roll as I’m back into writing ‘moody, electronica’ in between guitar driven ‘post rock’. I think I made a YouTube video showing some basics about it? I think I touched on recording midi into the toy box piano roll from something like Riffer.

KVRAF
1892 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 am

fairlyclose wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm
^^^
It is the Piano Roll that has my interest.
Our now deceased friend David started the Piano Roll discussion on Apr 16, 2020.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&p=7729018&hi ... x#p7729018
wow, that's sad - what happened?
He had Mantle Cell Lymphoma was undergoing chemo therapy for quite awhile. The last correspondence I had with him was Feb. this year. He sounded very upbeat and looking forward to lots of new music hardware and software being released. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to post his e-mail here. It's really sweet how his curiosity was still running at full steam and to hear of all the things he was looking forward to. He was such a good person to share musical discoveries with!

User avatar
KVRAF
2167 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 am

That really sucks. Yet another reminder that we should, as Warren Zevon said, "enjoy every sandwich."

KVRAF

Topic Starter

5096 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:23 am

killmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 am
fairlyclose wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm
^^^
It is the Piano Roll that has my interest.
Our now deceased friend David started the Piano Roll discussion on Apr 16, 2020.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517113&p=7729018&hi ... x#p7729018
wow, that's sad - what happened?
He had Mantle Cell Lymphoma was undergoing chemo therapy for quite awhile. The last correspondence I had with him was Feb. this year. He sounded very upbeat and looking forward to lots of new music hardware and software being released. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to post his e-mail here. It's really sweet how his curiosity was still running at full steam and to hear of all the things he was looking forward to. He was such a good person to share musical discoveries with!
Ok by me to post David's email here in this thread.
Or you can PM to me.
His posts were very detailed and very helpful.

User avatar
KVRAF
2167 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 am

He was a real asset to this community.

KVRAF
1651 posts since 11 Jun, 2005 from Phoenix, Arizona

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:55 am

bharris22 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 am
He was a real asset to this community.
I strongly agree.

KVRAF
1802 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am

bharris22 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 am
He was a real asset to this community.
yeah he was. Seemed a nice guy

User avatar
KVRist
91 posts since 16 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am

Instacomposer Update

The 1.0.2 update snuck by me. Someone kindly posted this today on a deals thread. PB does have the latest in your user section if you bought it there. The developer actually popped in over on a Cakewalk forum and I see a number of these changes were suggested there (https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... /#comments)



v 1.0.1 - Update 5th October 2021

Fixed issues with loading/dropping MIDI files in some hosts.
Improved rhythm generation algorithm.

v 1.0.2 - Update 15th October 2021

New option: Sync start/stop to host's playback
New option: Quantize start
New option: Follow song position
New option: Show/Hide ghost notes
New feature: Undo/Redo note changes
New feature: Rename tracks and change their colors
New: Each track has its own ‘chord inversion’ and ‘add bass note’ options
Updated quick guide to cover the new changes
Added a new ‘How it works’ chapter to the quick guide
Homebrew MSI Ryzen 3700x 32G RAM 4.5 Ghz, Win 10 Pro 21H1, Focusrite 2i2 v3 i/o, Alesis VX-49 kybd, ATOM pad, Biwig 3.4, Studio One 5.x

KVRAF
5407 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:11 pm

^ Thanks, that is encouraging.

User avatar
KVRist
360 posts since 26 Aug, 2019

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm

bharris22 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 am
Yet another reminder that we should, as Warren Zevon said, "enjoy every sandwich."
One of my favorite quotes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Mirkd3CT4

User avatar
KVRist
175 posts since 11 May, 2014

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 pm

Musical Gym wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 pm
fyi - I locked the Instacomposer topic as it was quickly getting off track.
I think this thread is more productive.
Since I've written several Logic Pro X Scripters (MIDIFX), that in combination with Instacomposer in Logic, this can get quite interesting.
WA shows using a Logic Environment setup, the following shows using Track Stack, no Environment is involved, you can use it if you want, but with Track Stack and Scripters, you can accomplish the same thing.
I do show The Environment but that's to show that no special cabling was done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGeoQsuflw


In this video I added the guitar solo. At a certian point I can add extra tracks and in the end just take out the original 5 (if I used them all) Instacomposer tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZgJG9t8a1s

This shows Instacomposer generated tracks but where I plug-in some of the Logic Pro X Scripters I wrote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9NJeQJhOzM


Wanna get more creative, use different instruments and presets, experiment with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cl9uxTJNc

This is me adding outside tracks, namely, Stylus RMX and playing around with a solo using Zebra2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjQozgu03w

This is not a database of MIDI loops, I like John but he clearly has no understanding of this product.

I'll make another video showing a tip on the 8/16 bar limit. I'm just updating that Logic Template.

For Logic Pro X users, you can create several track stacks with different instruments/presets and just by selecting that track stack, you can preview the same Instacomposer chord progression but with a different setup.

So in the end, I take the MIDI from Instacomposer and further modify it.
So if your sequencer supports scripting of any kind, use it. :-D

Return to “Effects”