MIDI-Transformer: A small plugin for rerouting and transforming MIDI messages

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
KVRist
45 posts since 1 Feb, 2011

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi All,

I hope it's okay to cross-post this, as I posted it yesterday to the Effects form as well.

I just a released a fairly simple but powerful little plugin that allows you to redirect and modify MIDI messages by applying custom response curves. The plugin can be downloaded directly from the product page. The product page also includes some more detailed instructions on how to use the plugin. The source can also be found on github, which may be of more interest in this forum.

To use the plugin, you just place it somewhere in your FX chain and select a MIDI input source from the top-left dropdown, as well as a MIDI output destination from the top-right dropdown. Then you can modify the curve graphically and observe the effects. During playback, the GUI will show incoming values and how they are being transformed, as shown in the second screenshot below. The plugin can be chained as well in order to affect multiple types of MIDI messages in a single FX chain.

Hopefully some of you will find this plugin useful. Feedback is more than welcome!

Screenshots

General usage screenshot, showing a curve that will use velocity values to modify pitch bend:

Highlighting how the GUI displays the last received MIDI input in real-time:
Last edited by DNAdisaster on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
490 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:39 am

Interesting approach.
I think i'll leave a couple of my thoughts in GH issues, is it ok?

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 am

Kott wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:39 am
Interesting approach.
I think i'll leave a couple of my thoughts in GH issues, is it ok?
Yeah absolutely, all feedback is definitely welcome. Thanks for checking it out!

umd
KVRian
1071 posts since 26 Feb, 2006 from Fartland

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:36 pm

This is awesome! Thank you.
Free midi plugins and other stuff:
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 pm

umd wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:36 pm
This is awesome! Thank you.
Really glad you found it useful, thanks for checking it out! Let me know if you have any feedback or what features might be helpful for you in the next revision.

KVRer
3 posts since 14 Nov, 2020

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi, I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab and am unable to get MIDI-transformer to load. I don't see it in the MIDI fx menu. I see it in the audio fx insert menu, but I get an error message when trying to load it. Anyway, it's not an audio effect so I'm not surprised that it doesn't load. Can you please clarify? Thanks HH

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:32 pm

EgonTwo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Hi, I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab and am unable to get MIDI-transformer to load. I don't see it in the MIDI fx menu. I see it in the audio fx insert menu, but I get an error message when trying to load it. Anyway, it's not an audio effect so I'm not surprised that it doesn't load. Can you please clarify? Thanks HH
Appreciate you bringing this up, I was able to recreate the issue as well. I sent you a PM with an alternate VST2 build to try as a possible quick-fix (maybe... hopefully). The VST2 at least loaded into Cakewalk for me without crashing. I've never tested or used Cakewalk, so I'll have to investigate a bit further why it's behaving differently than others. It's very possible Cakewalk expects the plugin to identify itself differently, like you suggested.

If there's anyone out there that has experience developing/testing VST3's for Cakewalk, I'd be very interested in hearing your perspective!

NAD
KVRian
1323 posts since 28 Jan, 2004

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:32 pm

This reminds me of the old midiCurve by Insert Piz Here. It's 32 bit so I'm glad there's finally a modern alternative.

Beware the Quoth
30035 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:54 am

EgonTwo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm
In Cakewalk land, the stuff that winds up in the MIDI FX menu are not VST plugins. They were 'MFX' plugins, variants on the DirectX standard. There were only ever a tiny number of 3rd party MFX plugins.

I havent used CW since it was Sonar, but if you want to use VST plugins that do MIDI processing, I think you still have to configure them as instruments (via the plugin scanner configuration), and you may have to enable MIDI output.
Some useful info at

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... nstrument/

There's also some info on setting up the MIDIshaper plugin for older versions of Sonar at

https://www.cableguys.com/midishaper-sonar.html

that might still be useful.
This signature tells the story really, as quoting insults directed at me makes me someone with an over-inflated ego.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”