F***wit senior moment with Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't believe I did this earlier today. Was going to record some noodlings from my Wavestate into a project. Strangely this was the first time I've recorded audio into it - had Cubase 10.5 for 6 months or so after a long break from music for several years. Took me a while but I got into a lot of the ITB stuff but for some odd reason just never actually recorded into it yet, despite diddling around with loads of h/w.

So I try to record a channel several times with no luck - flatline audio parts. I must have checked into so many parameters and setups and still no audio. Checked the Audio pool and nothing in there. Fiddled around with punch in/out points for ages, and spent god knows how long going through all the random mute/solos that I tried just to make sure I hadn't muted the wrong things. I even got round the back of the patchbay and checked all the ins/outs, reconnected the breakout box, double checked all the output connections, chased leads all around the studio. I think it took me nearly a whole hour before I checked the input bus section in Cubase setup, which you would think was the f**king obvious place to start really.... I'd set up almost everything including shit that I'll never need, but never simply ticked the 2 inputs to activate them.

I'm sure I never used to be this dumb. Actually Cubase itself is really simple to set up compared to older versions I've had before, and I was pleasantly surprised by the audio manipulation - so much more intuitive than it used to be. I can't even use the excuse of drugs, cos i haven't used them for years. Maybe I should - it might have sped the process up. :roll:

Any similar idiot moments you care to share?

Nah. You did,whatever it was you were going for there. I'm good.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

kritikon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:15 pm Any similar idiot moments you care to share?
there's always the classic: eq a part to perfection; wait, is this bypassed?

Every moment is an idiot moment wit me.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:39 pm
kritikon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:15 pm Any similar idiot moments you care to share?
there's always the classic: eq a part to perfection; wait, is this bypassed?
LOL. So true.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:39 pm there's always the classic: eq a part to perfection; wait, is this bypassed?
Oh yeah done that too. :lol:

And let's not forget the one about buggering around with send FX because it's too loud, go into the source channel and change the volume and all kinds of other settings like reducing the unison voices, dial down the filter res because something must be making it twice as loud as all the other channels...to find that your send FX is set to 50/50 wet/dry. :roll:

or eqing the channel, but it's not doing anything to get rid of the high pitched whine? wtf?
solo channel, it's there still, so must be the right channel?
mute channel, it's still there???? whaaat?
check master, no hidden fx????

press stop, sound carries on and you realise it's a car alarm somewhere outside :cry:

Oh god, if I a dollar for every time I've overlooked or completely missed the most obvious solution...

That reminds me that I still I need to print out my "Troubleshooting for Complete Morons" manual and leave it next to my DAW. I'll leave a free copy below, in case anybody else wants it.

Troubleshooting for Complete Morons by cryophonik
Check the most obvious thing, starting with "is this thing even plugged in and powered on?"
The end.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

or "where the hell has this latency come from?"

open audio buffers, no they look right ....

hmmm....

oh, try turning off the tape delay dickhead :x

Where the hell is this weird echo coming from when I'm trying to record vocals?!!! :bang:
Check buffer, check effects sends, re-check buffer and effects sends,....
10 minutes later, take headphones off and.... oh, I left the speakers on :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Back when I was a Cubase user just about every first take (usually the best take) was lost because of record not being enabled. It’s because live input monitoring and record enabling are completely unlinked and you think you’re ready to go because you hear your input through the monitors. I haven’t had that problem since switching to Studio One.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

hoxclab wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:51 pm Every moment is an idiot moment wit me.
have you tried sleeping, all the kids are doing it these days :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 am
Ya actually just woke up from a nappy.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 am
Hink wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 am
I find I am at my best just before I wake up ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 am
I've slept in all kinds of strange places but never in a nappy. Well...not since 55 years ago anyway. Though I suspect I'm getting to the age when nappies might be a thing again.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”