UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Does Falcon poop on Omnisphere? After there latest debacle I might be interested in Falcon to replace Omnisphere.

hoxclab wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:57 am Does Falcon poop on Omnisphere? After there latest debacle I might be interested in Falcon to replace Omnisphere.
Hard to say, I don't own Omnisphere but I would casually say no, they seem about equal. They have different strenghts and weaknesses though. Omnisphere comes with more sounds, Falcon seems to be the better sampler though. Personally I would say both should satisfy more or less any need that you might have as a producer.

Maybe if you are a little more specific, what exactly are you missing in Omnisphere? If Falcon has those things, great. But if not, a switch will net you nothing apart from lost money.

collider wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:56 am I'm happy about the addition of the Smooth Random modulator.
I am using it a lot. Really nice to have options for randomness. Make sure "random start is checked"! :)

hoxclab wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:57 am Does Falcon poop on Omnisphere? After there latest debacle I might be interested in Falcon to replace Omnisphere.
Not really, both are different enough to warrant having both. Some things are better in each one.

I'll go classic here: apples & oranges.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:42 pm
I'll go classic here: apples & oranges.
afaik has Omnisphere the same ground-engine as Falcon has

I own both, first was Omni2 and I loved it very much and then I more often found hints for UVI-Libraries, bought some and loved them too. Another while later I found by accident an Falcon-Expansion on the website of Soundpool.de (Hi Simon) and so Falcon entered my hobby-studio too and to be fair: Falcon is more often used, and Omni2 I use mainly with a soundset from PlugInGuru which I bought few years ago.
That means: 14.000 Omni2-presets didn´t made it here, although I call myself a XL-Preset-Junkie, but the one library with 300 Patches+50Multis holds me on Omni2.
But on the other side Falcon is always a wonderful journey for me and the only synth where I use the Edit-function, just to tweak some of the factory or bought Presets :tu:

and when I see all this new 2.5-Sequencers and the MS20-filters and the new Presets showing what´s all possible tih Falcon, then I will stay with Falcon forever!

the new EXtensions-show yesterday disappointed me, sorry, but the 2.5-Falcon-Update for FREE (look Steinberg, that´s possible+true!) made me very very happy and still do :hyper:

so thanks to UVI :clap:

and @hoxclab : I wish you much fun in the future...with Falcon ofcourse :wink:

I bought UVI Falcon 2.5 yesterday and I made my first complete track using it. The new VCF-20 filter and the Euclidean Keys sequencer were used for the intro pad. The other synth sounds are also Falcon, except the drums.

This synth is a very powerful beast. It can sound very analog, very close to my real analog VCO poly synths.

https://soundcloud.com/user-697475326/w ... uvi-falcon

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 am
Not really, both are different enough to warrant having both. Some things are better in each one.
For Sound Design — yes. There's really no comparison, but it takes more work in Falcon to get to the same place as in Omni.

However, I am now very skeptical regrading the future of Omni. Their new expansion system is basically useless for sound design. They introduced what some killer functionality in 2.8, but locked it behind the presets/instruments in the expansions. You cannot use it in your own patches.

Maybe Omnisphere 3 will give us the ability to access the new deep multi-sampling engine, scenes, custom GUIs, deeply configurable macros behind the GUI controls, etc., in our own custom instruments. I hope so. If not, then Omnisphere will truly become what, let's face it, most people use it for anyway: a Rompler.

teilo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm
For Sound Design — yes. There's really no comparison, but it takes more work in Falcon to get to the same place as in Omni.

However, I am now very skeptical regrading the future of Omni. Their new expansion system is basically useless for sound design. They introduced what some killer functionality in 2.8, but locked it behind the presets/instruments in the expansions. You cannot use it in your own patches.

Maybe Omnisphere 3 will give us the ability to access the new deep multi-sampling engine, scenes, custom GUIs, deeply configurable macros behind the GUI controls, etc., in our own custom instruments. I hope so. If not, then Omnisphere will truly become what, let's face it, most people use it for anyway: a Rompler.
All great points.

teilo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm They introduced what some killer functionality in 2.8, but locked it behind the presets/instruments in the expansions. You cannot use it in your own patches.
Agree with 99% of what you said, but maybe worth noting the arpeggiator changes that were made to help the acoustic guitar expansion, such as the pseudo strum effects, are actually available to everyone in the 2.8 upgrade, so at least we get that.

Edit: Then realised this is in the Falcon thread.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

teilo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Omnisphere is definitely more limited, but by no means limited. It’s way more intuitive and quick to work in because they set it up in such a way that the limits foster creativity, and the included samples are very interesting and creative. Falcon has better synthesis options, but they’re harder to work with and the included sample content is more basic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Omni really wins with the browser, both for presets and sound sources.

If UVI made a sound source browser for all the samples / oscillators in its libraries, it would absolutely smoke Omni for sound design. And I’d be even more interested in UVI’s libraries because of the high quality sound sources to use in my own presets.

There are certain workflow differences that I think people will feel differently about between the two. But I don’t think there’s any debate that Omnisphere makes it trivial to access the content in it to put it to good use, and Falcon does not.

Omnisphere is like a Tarantino. Quick, fast & fun and instantly rewarding.

Falcon is more like a Tarkovsky. Much more deeper, takes time to digest and process. Immensely rewarding but in long-term for the patient ones.

Was wondering why it rained indoors every time I use Falcon

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:35 pm Was wondering why it rained indoors every time I use Falcon
Make an appointment with your plumber :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”