Make Studio One behave in a one to one relationship.

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRian
1110 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 am

I know the "one channel in the session view can address multiple channels in the mixer" idea is clever but it's also annoying for me. Is there a way to turn it off so that if I delete a channel in either the mixer or session view it deletes its corresponding other?

KVRist
364 posts since 11 Dec, 2017

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:11 am

Well, if you use CMD + SHIFT + T it will remove the selected track and its instrument.

Also you can re-map a shortcut to "Console > Remove Channel", or do what I did and make a simple macro with the steps to Remove Track and Instrument and then Remove Channel and call it "Remove Track Instrument and Channel".

KVRian

Topic Starter

1110 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:15 am

Sure that's a shortcut to get rid of tracks, but ideally I'd like to not have this behaviour at all..I can't stand it!
I'm sure I heard Gregor mention sometime ago that there was a preference to make Studio One work like a regular DAW in this respect.

User avatar
KVRAF
10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 am

pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 am
I know the "one channel in the session view can address multiple channels in the mixer" idea is clever but it's also annoying for me. Is there a way to turn it off so that if I delete a channel in either the mixer or session view it deletes its corresponding other?
Nope! It's awesome :P
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian

Topic Starter

1110 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:00 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 am
pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 am
I know the "one channel in the session view can address multiple channels in the mixer" idea is clever but it's also annoying for me. Is there a way to turn it off so that if I delete a channel in either the mixer or session view it deletes its corresponding other?
Nope! It's awesome :P
Awesomely bad! :ud:

User avatar
KVRAF
10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 am

pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:00 am
antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 am
pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 am
I know the "one channel in the session view can address multiple channels in the mixer" idea is clever but it's also annoying for me. Is there a way to turn it off so that if I delete a channel in either the mixer or session view it deletes its corresponding other?
Nope! It's awesome :P
Awesomely bad! :ud:
No, it isn't.

For example if I have a drum machine plugin where I program a MIDI pattern on one track, but want to have individual drum sounds processed separately, I don't have to see empty tracks in my arrangement, like I do in Bitwig, Live or Reason. I just see the relevant Mixer chanels and one Sequencer track.

Or the other way around - when I need a MIDI track to send control notes to a plugin like StutterEdit, that otherwise sits as an insert on a track and channel behind a synth or audio sample, I just need a Instrument track that doesn't have Mixer channel.

I love that! :love: :clap:

It easily trumps the "hassle" of choosing "Delete track and Instrument" instead of "Delete track" :dog:
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian

Topic Starter

1110 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:58 am

Except when you have a Faderport...which I do, and then that one to one correspondence is most welcome because not having it makes the Faderport in some scenarios really visually confusing.
I have never needed to have multi-outs from a drum plugin in my workflow (enough tweaking already) and what's really annoying in Studio One is when you have those multi-outs in the mixer you cannot collapse them into a 'mixer folder' so the mixer becomes unwieldy. So not for me.
Then the reverse situation..never needed that either. So each to their own I say :box:

User avatar
KVRAF
10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:02 am

pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:58 am
...what's really annoying in Studio One is when you have those multi-outs in the mixer you cannot collapse them into a 'mixer folder' so the mixer becomes unwieldy. So not for me.
You can. Just pack the sequencer track to folder, make sure to set in Console "wrench menu" that channel folows folder behaviour (or something along those lines) and then collapsing the folder in arranger will collapse channels in Mixer.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
20418 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 am
For example if I have a drum machine plugin where I program a MIDI pattern on one track, but want to have individual drum sounds processed separately, I don't have to see empty tracks in my arrangement, like I do in Bitwig, Live or Reason. I just see the relevant Mixer chanels and one Sequencer track.
If you have individual FX on each drum sound, how do you edit them in Arrangement if you don't see them?

User avatar
KVRAF
10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:39 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am
antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 am
For example if I have a drum machine plugin where I program a MIDI pattern on one track, but want to have individual drum sounds processed separately, I don't have to see empty tracks in my arrangement, like I do in Bitwig, Live or Reason. I just see the relevant Mixer chanels and one Sequencer track.
If you have individual FX on each drum sound, how do you edit them in Arrangement if you don't see them?
In S1 every instrument or FX atually sit on Mixer channel. Arranger track only "contains" MIDI data, audio files and automation information and that data can be sent to one or multiple Mixer channels. This is for example how Multi-Instruments work in S1, e.g. "behind the scenes" you get 2+ Mixer channels that get their MIDI & automation from single Arranger track :)

Bitwig basically does something similar, e.g. using Instrument Layer it creates 2+ sub channels on one Arranger track, but you can reveal them in Mixer to see each separately. The difference is in Bitwig you can't create Arranger track without a Mixer channel and vice-versa.
Last edited by antic604 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
20418 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:46 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:39 am
pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am
antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 am
For example if I have a drum machine plugin where I program a MIDI pattern on one track, but want to have individual drum sounds processed separately, I don't have to see empty tracks in my arrangement, like I do in Bitwig, Live or Reason. I just see the relevant Mixer chanels and one Sequencer track.
If you have individual FX on each drum sound, how do you edit them in Arrangement if you don't see them?
In S1 every instrument or FX atually sit on Mixer channel. Arranger track only "contains" MIDI data, audio files and automation information and that data can be set to one or multiple Mixer channels. This is for example how Multi-Instruments work in S1, e.g. "behind the scenes" you get 2+ Mixer channels that get their MIDI & automation from single Arranger track :)
I've never used Studio One so it is hard to visualize. So if one is using Arrangement and wants to edit an Instrument or FX one would switch to a Mixer view to do that?

User avatar
KVRAF
10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:46 am
I've never used Studio One so it is hard to visualize. So if one is using Arrangement and wants to edit an Instrument or FX one would switch to a Mixer view to do that?
If you have multiple Mixer channels going out from one instrument (say a drumkit) then yes, you'd have to access the FX for specific pad from the Mixer.

But usually the connection is 1:1, so you'll see the list of inserts in the Track Inspector that displays the Mixer channel it's routed to, or can access them via keyboard shortcut, so it's not necessary to open the Mixer or Inspector (although I always have the latter on).

It does sound complex when I think about it, but it never bothered me. I guess I like the elegance of it and once I grasped the concept it just seemed natural. Maybe because 95% of the time it just works like any other DAW (well, except FL :D ).
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRian
1183 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am

What is this “session view”? I’ve heard of such a thing in Ableton, but not in Studio One.

If you’re trying to apply Ableton’s terminology and approach to Studio One, that may be a big part of the problem.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRian

Topic Starter

1110 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Chill ..twas a slip of the finger.

KVRist
364 posts since 11 Dec, 2017

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm

pinki wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:15 am
Sure that's a shortcut to get rid of tracks, but ideally I'd like to not have this behaviour at all..I can't stand it!
I'm sure I heard Gregor mention sometime ago that there was a preference to make Studio One work like a regular DAW in this respect.
There is not. It and Cubase both have separate sequencer tracks and mixer channels. You can link a track to a channel using the "Channel" drop down in the Inspector but it's handled automatically for the most part and it's just a visual thing that probably doesn't do what you're looking to do.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”