Windows instead of Mac for near future ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since Apple silicon introduction, not much of music software is compatible yet. And Apple Intel will slowly be getting phased out.
So for someone getting a new computer especially laptop, will getting windows be a better choice ?
Because:
1) getting Apple silicon MacBook is not good a idea YET because of software incompatibility.
2) getting Intel based MacBook for heavier use is not good idea either because of thermal throttling, cpu bottlenecking ( or whatever it’s called ) etc.
so is windows a smarter choice for new computer ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

"so is windows a smarter choice for new computer ?"

signature: "win10 x64"

i dunno mate. what do you think?

I’m currently on windows 10. But need a laptop for portability. Was thinking of getting a MacBook but new ones are with apple’s own arm M1 silicon chip, for which most software is incompatible
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

as apparently every other vendor has stopped making laptops, maybe you should.

TS-12 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm Was thinking of getting a MacBook but new ones are with apple’s own arm M1 silicon chip, for which most software is incompatible
Most software is compatible now.

It's up to you. Mac, Windows, Linux, or iPad are all legitimate operating systems for making music on these days. Each OS has its pros and cons. Macs are expensive and very proprietary (You get what you get, and don't throw a fit), but they are easy and just plain work. Windows is for generalists--most of the software is here and the operating system is functional, but not very flexible. Linux is for those who like the added efficiency, configurability and flexibility at the cost of a bit more learning curve. You can pretty much have everything exactly how you want it. iPads are for those who want to be extremely mobile. All have sufficient software and support to have a pro set up.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:23 pm
TS-12 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm Was thinking of getting a MacBook but new ones are with apple’s own arm M1 silicon chip, for which most software is incompatible
Most software is compatible now.
Agree, but he will always find something that isn't that will break his world apart, better for him to just continue to use Windows, Apple ecosystem is for folks who are willing to left behind old tech from time to time and embrace changes much faster.

TS-12 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm I’m currently on windows 10. But need a laptop for portability. Was thinking of getting a MacBook but new ones are with apple’s own arm M1 silicon chip, for which most software is incompatible
Maybe you should decide based on the software you are using. Needs a bit of homework, but, you can get hard info if the plugins and the DAW are M1 native.

Frankly, I don't see a reason why I would switch to Mac. Windows is the safer option for me.

Stick to Windows, get your laptop from pro audio builder, no need to worry about DPC latency, system tweaks or whatever, get professional help every time you are in doubt, win-win.
https://www.adkproaudio.com/audio-video ... on-laptops
Last edited by Passing Bye on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm Apple ecosystem is for folks who are willing to left behind old tech from time to time and embrace changes much faster.
... and live with the cconsequences. ;)

Apart from that, not everything Apple does is a step forward. I know, this company is extremely good in making you think that, and in making any of its users a fan, but, sometimes you really have to keep your eyes open, to avoid getting delusional.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm I'm an Apple salesman.
Good for you! :tu:

OP, you're on Windows 10 right now. If you consider a Mac, just go and check out what software you own actually IS compatible with ARM Macs. Just saying that "most software" is incompatible is just not true. The past year hundreds if not thousands of devs have at least upgraded their software to universal binaries and a lot have straight up delivered ARM versions alongside the Intel-Mac versions.

And have you even heard of Rosetta 2? It's f**king magic for running intel VSTs on ARM Macs. :D

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm Apple ecosystem is for folks who are willing to left behind old tech from time to time and embrace changes much faster.
... and live with the cconsequences. ;)

Apart from that, not everything Apple does is a step forward. I know, this company is extremely good in making you think that, and in making any of its users a fan, but, sometimes you really have to keep your eyes open, to avoid getting delusional.
Either way, point is, as a user you need to adopt to change more often and that's it. I'm not user, fan or supporter of Apple, agnostic about such things as OS, computers, vendors and whatever, use whatever makes most sense for my buck and needs.

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:18 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm I'm an Apple salesman.
Good for you! :tu:
Dude, I'm literally using 10 years old PC with Linux Mint on it, advised guy to stick with Windows, but whatever. :lol: 8)

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 pm Dude, I'm literally using 10 years old PC with Linux Mint on it, advised guy to stick with Windows, but whatever. :lol: 8)
You don't want to be TOO obvious about it, I get it. :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”