Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Deadly markus looks very tempting

Nice!

VST3 awesome :)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

How about an option for Minimal: VST3 only?

Also - I always add a Tone2 folder to the VST directory so that the Icarus data and all those extra files don't just get dumped into the main VST folder. You should do this by default. I've often had to reinstall when I've forgotten to change the path.

I see that supporting files still go in the VST2 directory. So if you do offer a VST3 only option, since VST3 installations doesn't ask for a path, you should either put Tone2 files somewhere else (and confirm where, like a Tone2 program files or documents folder) or put them neatly in a Tone2 folder in the VST3 directory.

As for the synth itself - It's awesome as always. My only wish is for the most recent notes to be tracked in mono legato like most other synths work, so that when you release notes when multiple are held, you always hear the most recent note played previous to the released note. Now it plays the lowest note held when you release a note. It can be important for fast playing where you sometimes might hold a note or two while overlapping other notes. I think I sent a video example once, I'm probably describing it badly here.

Envelope rendering still not fixed.
Neither putting ADSR knobs to default position with a doubleclick, nor using midi controls for ADSR will redraw the envelopes.
Marcus, that's a bug, not a feature. No other synth "protects" a user from busy automation by not redrawing ADSR (and the filter envelope is doing just fine)
That's strange to ignore such concern since a lot of people might consider MIDI sliders to control ADSR, as it's a basic need for any kind of live performance

Small suggestion:
three checkboxes would do better instead of fixed installation options in a dropdown
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

should i hold my breath for native M1 support?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Depends. Do you want to choke? :D

Just kidding. I'm sure Markus does what he can.

of course, just tried to make my request as unobtrusive as possible to get it off my chest, as Tone2 stuff doesn't seem to get updated too frequenty, so i hopefully don't have to wait for a year or two for the next update to come

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:06 am Public beta:

https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icar ... 5_beta.zip

The update to v2.0.5 is available for free. It adds a VST3 version and some enhancements.
Icarus 2.0.5 is downward compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary.

New features:

- Added a VST3 version.
- You can select from 3 different installation types: Minimal (VST2 only), Default (VST2 + Standalone) and Full (VST2 + VST3 + Standalone).

Enhancements:

- More smart detection of VST2 path.
- Faster closing of projects.
- Minor enhancements for the standalone version.

Changes:

- Microsoft dropped support for 32bit operating systems. That's why we will focus on 64bit only. If you still use 32bit you can install v2.0.
Changing presets via the computer keyboard arrows doesn't work in the vst3 version.

FapFilter wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm should i hold my breath for native M1 support?
Would you accept to pay for a specific upgrade to support M1? After all, development hours don't come for free, and that's a feature that will only benefit a very specific group of users. It's not Markus fault that you decided to buy an unsupported platform.

As a Windows user, I don't care about that. And it runs OK in my Mac too.
Fernando (FMR)

FapFilter wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm should i hold my breath for native M1 support?
Markus said in the Saurus3 thread he’s working on M1 support. Saurus already works fine with Rosetta 2. Warlock is native. So I wouldn’t hold my breath but I would expect it’s on the way.

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am
Would you accept to pay for a specific upgrade to support M1? After all, development hours don't come for free, and that's a feature that will only benefit a very specific group of users. It's not Markus fault that you decided to buy an unsupported platform.

Of course it is just my interest (and others too of course)
the recompiling itself is barely any work at all - just run it through a compiler. The testing to make sure it will work flawless without much unexpected happening can be though.
I wouldn't have asked though if Markus didn't show any interest in this platform, but as there seemingly are (some?) newer Tone2 product(s) that support M1 i did ask. Will of course survive it if for whatever reason M1 native is not in the planning for Icarus

P.S.: despite not using it, i wouldn't mind if more developers would also support Linux.
Support is actually not as bad as i expected, even though basically none of my reverbs, compressors, or EQs i'm using are on Linux so it still stays not as interesting for me, even though there certainly are alternatives for them if i was still eager to learn new tools and abandon my go-tos just for the sake of it. But it's still an interesting platform for the future with no huge corporations and their interests behind it.

FapFilter wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 pm
fmr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am

Of course it is just my interest (and others too of course)
the recompiling itself is barely any work at all - just run it through a compiler. The testing to make sure it will work flawless without much unexpected happening can be though.
I wouldn't have asked though if Markus didn't show any interest in this platform, but as there seemingly are (some?) newer Tone2 product(s) that support M1 i did ask. Will of course survive it if for whatever reason M1 native is not in the planning for Icarus

P.S.: despite not using it, i wouldn't mind if more developers would also support Linux.
Support is actually not as bad as i expected, even though basically none of my reverbs, compressors, or EQs i'm using are on Linux so it still stays not as interesting for me, even though there certainly are alternatives for them if i was still eager to learn new tools and abandon my go-tos just for the sake of it. But it's still an interesting platform for the future with no huge corporations and their interests behind it.
I like this continuous nonsense about M1 being "an unsupported platform". For most its supported via Rosetta 2 (like most of tone2) at the minimum. And somehow, some way, 1 man shops like TAL, tone2, and ValhallaDSP, and bigger shops like FabFilter and u-He, continue to find a way. And as time goes on the "specific set of users" will be the Intel holdouts and these shops will most definitely be interested in keeping up Mac support. If it wasn't worthwhile they wouldn't be doing so, given that "development hours don't come for free".

Yes, i find his very interesting too that one man shows like TAL or HY-Plugins seemingly port their stuff easily and immediately to new technology (be it scalable GUIs, stuff that doesn't load forever for stuff like basic delays), or now jump to new processor technology, while big guys like Native Instruments have historically been whining about how everything is an inhuman amount of work and actually get almost nothing done.
Having said that, it's still silly that so much breaks on the Apple side when not much changes hardware wise, but for big technological changes like Power PC to x86 and now to ARM this is understandable and actually done pretty well.
The Windows crowd has this jump still before them, unless some miracle happens and x86 suddenly can compete computational power per watt wise, at least when they don't just want a stationary system.
And while Windows has done great in the past regarding almost perfect compatibility throughout the years, it has yet to show how smooth such a leap to ARM or other newer chip designs will work there.

Markus said in the Saurus3 thread he’s working on M1 support.
I already bought a M1 Mac and have been working on it for one month. Things turned out as much more complicated as expected. Several older libraries do not compile correctly on the M1. The DAWs list the plugins but they're not stable.
Saurus already works fine with Rosetta 2.
All Tone2 plugins are already running fine with Rosetta2. I measured only a performance difference of 10% between native M1 and Rosetta2 for Warlock.
the recompiling for M1 itself is barely any work at all - just run it through a compiler.
That's definitley not true. In my case it requires a rewrite of large parts of the code, messing around with compiler settings, finding obfuscated linking problems, debugging crashes and lots of testing.

We devs are not happy that Apple continously breaks the downward compatibility with their devices/OS releases. It's a very frustrating experience for customers as well developers. This situation is inacceptable if you're working in a professional environment. It's also bad for the environment and sustainability. That's why I do not longer recommend Apple devices for professional music-production.
Tone2 stuff doesn't seem to get updated too frequenty
That's not true. We regularly release free updates with new features and enhancements. You can download them here: https://www.tone2.com/download.html
i wouldn't mind if more developers would also support Linux
I like Linux (especially Zorin), but we're a small company an can't afford to support this OS. The userbase is very small. Apart of this large parts of this community is not willed to pay for software. To survive on an over-crowded marked we must focus the developemt resources on stuff that generates sales.

Return to “Instruments”