Thinking of picking up some TAL synths, how redundant will they be with what I got?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I looking to get TAL Sampler as my next plugin and I noticed for TAL stuff you get a discount when you get multiple VSTs at one. And that's pretty tempting. But I also have all the Uhe softsynths (Diva , Repro and ACE being most relevant here) and there is definitely some overlap between the two. While its cool having a bunch of synths I do want to make sure there is some justifiable utility for anything I get.

Diva already does Juno/Jupiter sounds, so I think maybe passing on J-8 or Uno-lx. Though possible faster workflow and lower CPU consumption might make them tempting. Baseline 101 and Mod aren't directly replicated by anything I got. But am I already hitting diminishing returns on "character" for subtractive VSTs and can I find a niche for these? Is there a sweet spot for number of subtractive synths to have?

Anything worth picking up or should I just get the sampler? Probably only getting 1 or 2 thing in addition to the sampler max.

Bassline 101 does some really neat things although simple. Great filter and its nice to have the on board seq/arp. I keep getting tempted with Mod but the gui is a bit small on my system. I realize one can enlarge it but then it becomes a scroll fest. I do think that if you like Juno sounds you will enjoy U no Lx over Diva. The Sampler is really a great Synth in itself. You would be supporting one of the best Devs out there.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Start with their free plugins. They do have their own character, which most find usable in one way or another.

And character is the difference between redundancy and overlap.

As far as the sampler, remember that each format opens up another realm of libraries. So again, they may overlap other samplers and their libraries, but not exactly be redundant.

YMMV.

I like the sound of the older Roland synthesizers, so of course I really like Diva. But especially TAL-J-8 complements Diva really well, because many sounds on the J-8 actually consist of two elements. Sure, you can do that with two Diva instances, but it's a lot more work to build and you always have to save and load two sounds. With the TAL-J-8 you can simply edit both layers together in one instance! Stereo arpeggios or wide stereo pads are much easier to build this way.

This year I've been building soundsets and short demo songs with Diva and J-8 and U-No-LX. Even though I tried some sounds on all three synthesizers, they sound different. If you like, you can listen to some short demos on my Soundcloud page - and of course download the soundsets here at KVR (they're free).

mrbbojahr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:39 pm But especially TAL-J-8 complements Diva really well, because many sounds on the J-8 actually consist of two elements. Sure, you can do that with two Diva instances, but it's a lot more work to build and you always have to save and load two sounds. With the TAL-J-8 you can simply edit both layers together in one instance! Stereo arpeggios or wide stereo pads are much easier to build this way.
This kind of thing is the reason I thought it would be good to ask. I didn't even think that it with have the layer/split option of the hardware. That actually sounds really useful.

It sounds like most people really don't find much difficulty using these synths alongside Diva or the like, so I guess it's less a question of redundancy and more of which ones have the features I'd like best.

JP 8 and uno lx sound amazing. Not just saying that because I sell sound banks for them. They both have a really Special sound.

So after reading this and thinking it over, I think J-8 and/or Mod might be the best to get alongside TAL Sampler.

I am going to go give the demos a good test run to be sure though, while I start setting some money aside.

Be sure to check out U-NO-LX if you dig the Juno sound. Possibly the most analog sound ITB for the lowest CPU hit.

Don't feel forced to buy more than you want for a discount. I'm sure there will be a global discount soon anyway.

I'm kind of in the same boat where I'm a fan of TAL but I only really need Mod.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”