Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 pm The new Macbooks sound very interesting. I think I'll wait for the next generation of Mac Minis and then possibly switch from PC to Mac. There are already rumors about a M1X. But since I will change only next year or the year after, perhabps there should be a M2 by then :D
I think M1 Pro/Max ARE the M1X ;) Rumor now is that new iMac will be early next year with these chips which would be fantastic. Thats what I'm waiting on.

rezoneight wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 pm
4damind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 pm The new Macbooks sound very interesting. I think I'll wait for the next generation of Mac Minis and then possibly switch from PC to Mac. There are already rumors about a M1X. But since I will change only next year or the year after, perhabps there should be a M2 by then :D
I think M1 Pro/Max ARE the M1X ;) Rumor now is that new iMac will be early next year with these chips which would be fantastic. Thats what I'm waiting on.
Yeah, I agree. Seems that Apple wants to get everything on the same cadence, and roll out new chips with a baseline, followed by the pro versions. The M1 Pro and Max are perfect chips for the iMacs. I'm guessing we will see 24 and 27" XDR displays in slimline cases, with cooling optimized for the pro chips, and more ports than the current baseline M1.

Double Tap wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:45 am These machines look hugely impressive, but I have an M1 MBP and I don't know if extra memory and two extra CPU cores are going to be enough of a lure. My uninformed observations are that plugins do seem to make use of graphics power on the M1 so perhaps the extra GPU will make a big difference. We'll find out soon what the real world audio and DAW improvements are I guess.
It's a bit more than that. You get 4 extra performance cores. Out of the 10 cores, only 2 are efficiency cores, whereas on your M1 MBP there are 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:52 pm
Double Tap wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:45 am These machines look hugely impressive, but I have an M1 MBP and I don't know if extra memory and two extra CPU cores are going to be enough of a lure. My uninformed observations are that plugins do seem to make use of graphics power on the M1 so perhaps the extra GPU will make a big difference. We'll find out soon what the real world audio and DAW improvements are I guess.
It's a bit more than that. You get 4 extra performance cores. Out of the 10 cores, only 2 are efficiency cores, whereas on your M1 MBP there are 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores.
I've got to confess that I'm not totally sure what the efficiency cores really do...

Double Tap wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:27 pm
I've got to confess that I'm not totally sure what the efficiency cores really do...
This guy nicely explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3zabsRfT8c

Much lower power cores that use about a tenth of the energy for doing regular stuff like web browsing, etc. One of the reasons the M1-based MacBooks get such great battery life. As needs increase all of the cores will kick in.

rezoneight wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:03 am
Much lower power cores that use about a tenth of the energy for doing regular stuff like web browsing, etc. One of the reasons the M1-based MacBooks get such great battery life. As needs increase all of the cores will kick in.
Thanks very much, and to PassingBye - that's a great video. It's interesting that they've ditched two of the ice storm cores. I wonder how much of the apparent increase in energy usage will be down to the machines needing to use firestorm cores for more basic functions.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 am But I am very happy with Studio One and from everything I've read, it runs like a dog on macOS.
That's not true. I have a roughly equivalent 2.9 GHz quad-core MacBook Pro and a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel NUC mini PC (with all top-line components). The MacBook runs Studio One just as well as the PC. Stop spreading rumors.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:03 am Yes, the Air M1 for example is super powerful, totally quiet and half the cost. It will probably be more than enough for the vast majority of users. Is anyone already maxing out their M1 AIR/Pro and feeling the need more CPU power?
I didn't buy an M1 Air because it has only 2 Thunderbolt ports. I need as least 3 Thunderbolt ports (4 would be better) for my 3 monitor setup and Thunderbolt audio interface and Thunderbolt drive bay.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 amnot true. I have a roughly equivalent 2.9 GHz quad-core MacBook Pro and a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel NUC mini PC (with all top-line components). The MacBook runs Studio One just as well as the PC. Stop spreading rumors.
So you've never read any of the Studio One threads here? Because they are unreasonably full of Mac user with all manner of problems the rest of us don't have. So it may not be your experience but it is definitely not untrue.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:09 pm
Cinebient wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 pm How could i now skip the non-skipable adds on you-tube. With touch bar this works….ask for a friend.
Since installing ad-block I haven’t seen a single YouTube ad in over a year.
Of course that is an option too. I just would miss the little things like if I have an audio demo which just has an on/off switch, on the Touch Bar there is automatic a scroll bar to go trough the sound. There are more of these little things where the Touch Bar makes my life a little bit more easy.
But as they are out now, software development for it will die as well.
The same was with 3D-touch on iPhones which was still one of their best things ever especially for music related things. It even worked better as my Seaboard for MPE (at least for the X and Y axis) and I hoped they would bring that also to iPads but the chance is zero now.
The thing I will never miss was the crappy flat and clicky keyboard they had with the butterfly thingie. Still not good as their older ones but much better with the late 2020 and the new ones I guess.
At least they try things and when they go wrong they finally start to hear to customers. I mean nothing special normally but when Apple give back connectors you could mean its the world's end :)

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:40 am
Gadget Fiend wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 amnot true. I have a roughly equivalent 2.9 GHz quad-core MacBook Pro and a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel NUC mini PC (with all top-line components). The MacBook runs Studio One just as well as the PC. Stop spreading rumors.
So you've never read any of the Studio One threads here? Because they are unreasonably full of Mac user with all manner of problems the rest of us don't have. So it may not be your experience but it is definitely not untrue.
This is one of the rare times you will see me agree with Boner on anything.

S1 tends to have weird problems on Mac that don't happen on Windows. In my experience, the problems have always been small and I never lost any sleep over any of them. However, I'm not going to pretend they don't exist. There is also a performance penalty, but it is minor and I doubt many notice it.

I would still say my experience with S1 on Mac is better than Windows, but for tangential reasons.

Does "tangential" mean "made up" or are you able to share them with us?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:33 am Does "tangential" mean "made up" or are you able to share them with us?
Tangential as in Macs being superior computers in general to PCs. In spite of minor problems with S1, the experience is better overall.

I see. So "made up", then. Hardly compelling evidence, is it?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”