Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ValliSoftware wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 amThis is not a database of MIDI loops, I like John but he clearly has no understanding of this product.
I agree. He didn't do it justice in his Livestream. He probably shouldn't have used it without knowing more about it. His example(s), as I recall, sounded "off" and unappealing, like he wasn't really familiar with it.

Just a tip on chaining several Instacomposer instances to extend, melody, riff, bass, etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFX_jmlXcg

Thanks for putting that together.

Got me to thinking though... What if the note value used in the midi clip could trigger different presets or different buttons in the interface. I could see that being used quite a bit.

Thanks for demo. Will be useful for creating song sections.

There's no law that says to only use Instacomposer.
So I further modify the generated Instacomposer MIDI with MIDIFX's in Logic Pro X. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5fh5zyfEWs

Instacomposer is actually pretty cool. I wish it had the function "generate new pattern on every repeat" or so for endlessly changing patterns.

gondii wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am Instacomposer is actually pretty cool. I wish it had the function "generate new pattern on every repeat" or so for endlessly changing patterns.
At some point you have to create a song, how would you do that with a "endlessly changing patterns".
The other problem with that is, you lose a pattern you heard because it keeps changing.

Right now, Instacomposer let's you hear a pattern. you like it, work on it, if not, generate a new pattern on all tracks or a individual track.
To me, that is what you need and what Instacomposer has.

ValliSoftware wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:47 pm
gondii wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am Instacomposer is actually pretty cool. I wish it had the function "generate new pattern on every repeat" or so for endlessly changing patterns.
At some point you have to create a song, how would you do that with a "endlessly changing patterns".
The other problem with that is, you lose a pattern you heard because it keeps changing.
just record the midi?

UncleAge wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:19 pm Thanks for putting that together.

Got me to thinking though... What if the note value used in the midi clip could trigger different presets or different buttons in the interface. I could see that being used quite a bit.
I'm curious, why would you need to have the ability to have the app change presets on what it generates?
Wouldn't that just create a endless random pattern?

OneOfManyPauls wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:51 pm
just record the midi?
I can't tell if you're asking or suggesting why he mention that.
Yes, you can always MIDI record a endless changing pattern, but again, at some point in time, you have to start working on the song.

ValliSoftware wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:59 pm
just record the midi?
Yes, you can always MIDI record a endless changing pattern, but again, at some point in time, you have to start working on the song.
It was an answer to your "how would..." question, but I framed it as a question as it seemed obvious to me, so I was wondering if I was missing something.

Honestly thought it was standard practice to always be recording the output of continuously random midi generators in case they spit out something desirable to keep - giving a dependable yet randomly generated basis for a song.

OneOfManyPauls wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:03 pm
ValliSoftware wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:59 pm
just record the midi?
It was an answer to your "how would..." question, but I framed it as a question as it seemed obvious to me, so I was wondering if I was missing something.

Honestly thought it was standard practice to always be recording the output of continuously random midi generators in case they spit out something desirable to keep - giving a dependable yet randomly generated basis for a song.
Because Instacomposer is generating up to 5 tracks, what you loose in this endless random pattern is the ability to randomize a single track but keep the other tracks.
Again, at some point in time you have to start working on the song.
Instacomposer already gives you the ability to generate all tracks or generate a single track while keep others you like. This ability gives you the songwriter, more control on the final creation of your song.
Again, remember that you're working with up to 5 individual tracks. Would you generate 1 tracks for 5 repeats, then genrate a 2nd track on repeats but keep the first track or revisit the all the previous first track repeats to apply to the 2nd track that's going to generate random patterns, but remember that you have 3 other tracks waiting too.

I still don't see the issue - record the midi output for all five tracks, anything sounding good is there for use in the song. could turn off the random for any of the tracks and use the DAW recorded midi instead alongside the instacomposer generated tracks.

Right now, Instacomposer let's you hear a pattern. you like it, work on it, if not, generate a new pattern on all tracks or a individual track.
To me, that is what you need and what Instacomposer has.
I also don't see the problem with just recording the randomized parts.

But I also disagree with the premise that "at some point you have to create a song". I don't always make music with the intention of creating a song, especially not (necessarily) with intro, verse, chorus, etc. where I have to "decide" on one melody or pattern. Sometimes I just want to make music,... perform,... create sounds,... sometimes it's meditative. I might still hit record once I like what is happening, but producing a song doesn't always have to be the point.

So what I would like to use it for is ambient/experimental, generative music. It's less about having a constantly changing melody, but ever changing and evolving elements, usually on the slower side with longer notes. Think Brian Eno for example. There are plenty of midi generators that cater to this approach, like Patter for example or some of the stuff by sonic lab and the plentiful random modulation options in HY-Plugins. Bitwig can be really nice with its modular approach as well (and I could modulate or automate the Instacomposer settings as well).

So with all the randomization options and AI functionality already present, just a little addition would, in my opinion, make Instacomposer not only useful for composition and song writing, but for generative music as well.
ValliSoftware wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:20 pm Because Instacomposer is generating up to 5 tracks, what you loose in this endless random pattern is the ability to randomize a single track but keep the other tracks.
In my mind, this feature would be on a per track basis. You can already randomize tracks independent from each other. So that would be a given I think.

+1
Music isn't just "songs". :party:
I too find InstaComposer too static and less musical or alive than it could be.
Yes I can put other tools behind it, but I always wonder why many sequencer-like tools don't include the option to add variations over time, to make things more interesting/human/alive.
Phrasebox added nice options in this realm and one can always disable them if unwanted. Same with the Pigments sequencer and some others.
If InstaComposer would be able to vary it's 5 tracks in a musical way while still keeping a certain vibe and everything staying related to everything else, I'd be way more impressed.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Return to “Effects”