Do I need more (a question about other DAWs and plugins)?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am using Ardour to compose and record (on Windows). I play the guitar myself with amp sims and use MODO plugins for bass and drums.

I am not releasing anything (not even on social media), this is just for my own enjoyment and relaxation after stressful work hours.

What I don't know is if I am missing something. I have only used Pro Tools (10 years or so ago) and I am using Ardour now. Would I have an easier time with other DAWs, am I using a bad tool to write midi for drums and bass? I tried Reaper, but it looked so complex I just returned to Ardour. Maybe I should have tried to remain there?

I don't use any of the included plugins of Ardour, I am mostly using IK Mixbox plugins for anything other than ampsims. Will I have an easier time if just upgrade to Harrison Mixbus and use its channel strip and busses? Maybe I should buy T-Racks instead with the IK group buy, but I am not really sure if I need them.

I am using MODO plugins but I have nothing else, no samples or anything. But I am also happy with them for now.

So, I am asking for direction. I feel okay, but the problem is I don't know if I could get an easier and better time by moving on. I don't know if I need more since I don't have more.

Thanks for your help.

Do you feel in any way limited with your creativity, quality and volume of output (I mean number of songs you're "releasing") using Ardour? If not, then don't change it.

I've 5+ DAWs and honestly it's a hinderance. Neither of them is perfect, each of them has their own strengths, weknesses and missing features. So even if I'm working with one - let's call it 'z'; then I still have that thought in the back of my head like "oh, I could do this in DAW 'x' faster" or "DAW 'y' has this nice feature that I'd love to use right now", but the problem is I chose the 'z' also because it has things 'x' or 'y' do not have. So it's a constant struggle. In a way NOT knowing what else is there is freeing and liberating, just like limiting yourself to a set of few tools that you know well, rather than having a huge library and not knowing how to use it. Or even worse - not being able to decide which to use :dog:

If Ardour works for you, then stick to it.

If you really want to explore your options, then perhaps something like Studio One would suit the workflow and style you're describing: they have 30 day demo of the full thing, an Artist version which is limited to features tailored for "artists" (as opposed to "producers" or "engineers" I imagine) and even a free version. Even the pro version can be chaply had 2nd hand, i.e. around $200:

https://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Here's an idea:
Make a list of the currently available DAWs (all, or just the ones that you're interested in)
Look them all up on Youtube - overview videos, specific tasks, etc...
--- Make sure that you're watching videos of the latest version --- It doesn't always matter, but you won't know whether it does or not.
The big ones; Cubase, Ableton, Studio One, FL Studio, Bitwig, ... all come with a big collection of quality effects/instruments.

Asking other people's experience/opinions on a forum won't tell you which one fits YOU best. ;-)

I use MODO DRUM and MODO BASS because I think samples are too limiting.

Eventually, MODO BASS gets replaced with real bass, but I am able to program it to play every nuance of the bass EXACTLY how I want it played, which lays down a really good marker to work from.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

No. Definitely.

There are so many tools (DAWs, plugins) now so you run risks to try new ones and watch tutorials endlessly. Installing, reinstalling, updating, searching for "the rightest and bestest" tool from heaps of plugin and instruments... Do you really want to waste your time for this?

If all works why bother?
Last edited by lobanov on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Have you heard the acronym FOMO?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Fred owes me one too
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Mixbus has a warning on their website that their DAW is "not for beginners" which from your post I gather you're not anyway. The general consensus I read here is that it's better for mastering than nuts and bolts producing. I use it myself and like it, however I do find the editor view to be small and not as detailed as others.
So if there's a suggestion here, it is to maybe download the other free DAWs and see if you find anything you can use from them and/or if have any compliments to Ardour for you or your needs.
Tracktion, like Ardour runs on all three OSs and looks like it has more features, (although I don't have any personal experience with it.) There's Bandlab also, which I stopped using prior to finding Ardour. But there's two free things to give a try and see where to go from there.

I don’t know that DAW, but I suspect that you’d do yourself a favor digging deeper into it than getting something new. I don’t know if it has a good manual or video tutorials, but I find those two things crucial.

Or not. I use Bitwig and there’s a ton in it that I don’t use. I’m sure if I was stumped I’d see if it had a built in solution, but for how I work, it basically does what I need it to do so I’m happy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hink wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:47 am Fred owes me one too
Everyone has someone who owes them a DAW.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Just buy FL Studio and never look back.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm Just buy FL Studio and never look back.
You done shilling and hating now?

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:37 pm
hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm Just buy FL Studio and never look back.
You done shilling and hating now?
Just giving direction to OP. No hating nor shilling here friend.

Michael L wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:34 am
Hink wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:47 am Fred owes me one too
Everyone has someone who owes them a DAW.
EOMO?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

msimsek wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:28 am
What I don't know is if I am missing something. I have only used Pro Tools (10 years or so ago) and I am using Ardour now. Would I have an easier time with other DAWs, am I using a bad tool to write midi for drums and bass? I tried Reaper, but it looked so complex I just returned to Ardour. Maybe I should have tried to remain there?
Whats your approach to writing midi? Are you open to exploring whatever?

Maybe dont use a direct approach at first for example, like exploring slicing, dice, chop, stretch sections or time intervals, flips, shifts, speed up and filter, combine and delete methods, excetera. Anyway, I often enjoy using midi tools like these, and always end up with something I can use. A big release for ChordwarePA is soon btw.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”