Moog 3 synth Sound Studio pack vs. Moog Matriarch

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think is the better offer for a beginner in modular: getting the newly launched 3-pack Sound Studio (Mother32, DFAM, Subharmonicon) or the Matriarch?

Especially if I have my own keyboard (a MIDI-capable 88 key high quality weighted one, but without aftertouch), could I do the "same things" on the 3 synths that I could do with the Matriarch? They are quite in the same price range, so I'm having a tough time deciding.

Also, I don't plan on getting any additional/separate Eurorack modules, and I'm not a professional musician. So I would ideally want a "one stop shop, future proof" option that would keep me busy in my modular journey for years to come.

I have the Matriarch. It is a joy to play because it is entirely self contained and complete. I also appreciate the spacious UI with big controls. With all the patch points, you will never run out of possibilities.

The 3 pack has the advantage of multiple independent voices.

I say go with the Matriarch. Mostly because you don't plan to venture out in the eurorack space. While both are semi-modular, I think the 3-pack leans way more towards the eurorack side. The matriarch stands to be a hybrid synth and can be pushed either way.

I owned the subharmonicon and it took me several days to even start wrapping my head around what it can do. Lot's of frustrating moments in there. I ended up selling it. I did not own the DFAM or the Mother-32 as I am a eurorack user, but I have owned a lot of synths in the past.

I just noticed that you posted your question several days ago. Did you make a decision yet?

Yup, decided to split the entire things into 3 stages.

1- Moog Subsequent 37
2- Moog 3 synth studio
3- potentially adding also the Matriarch

Went actually with the Moog Subsequent 37 as a first step, not with the Matriarch. I'll give the non-modular approach a go for a few months, as I believe the ability to save patches and to have more "immediate" setup would be better for me as a start. Also, the ability to interface in a great way with the computer, through the provided VST plugin, is something I would still want to keep for the moment.

After that I'll get into semi-modular with the Moog Sound studio 3 pack, and then I'll see how things go.

Maybe start with some smaller / cheaper semi modular, like Grandmother os maybe a Behringer clone. I once thought modular is so cool and fun by watching videos / reading about it, bought a couple of semi modulars and found them to be a pain it the ass to work with.

I have a Grandmother and Matriarch. I'll save some time and just skip to the chase: get the matriarch.

Update after more than 1 month: i absolutely LOVE the sound and the user experience of the Subsequent 37!

I also tried for a week or so (and ended up returning) the Mother-32 and the Subharmonicon...somehow the flow didn't vibe with me.

But the sound of the Subsequent 37....out of this world! And I have to say, the ease of use + the patch saving / presets is also a great experience, especially if you're not a full time musician and don't have a lot of patience to set things up.

Was considering trying out the Matriarch as well, but somehow I think I'll end up returning it as well...maybe in the future or if I get the chance to test it out someone else's studio.

For now I'm the (very) happy owner of the Subsequent 37 ☺️

Return to “Modular Synthesis”