FabFilter plugins include code that plays very loud noise if it thinks the copy is pirated

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 am
I really wish someone would bring out a new plugin that does this - sooner or later I keep thinking I’m going to find it no longer works. The only alternatives I know of add latency (except for Reaper’s built in one)

It would make a perfect Kilohearts snapin
i mean i can do this with Logic's ducker (stock) - or any gate plugin with a ducker mode.
Also Nugen SigMod.

bugs are one thing and even if the burst is an accident then the developer could be held liable for physical damages caused by such bugs in their product but intentional attempts to damage hardware (speakers) or even physically harm an individual is a criminal act pretty much everywhere. but actually i wouldn't put it past arrogant developers to attempt such things

i saw this topic and read through. years ago i was the first to report about Presonus' Studio One bug that many call the "666" because when i posted a pic of the problem the overload showed in the meter 666. not sure HOW loud it actually got but it was not only a burst but the high pitched sound was continuous. it is a wonder it didn't damage my monitors. in the process the software had locked up and i was forced to manually hard boot the system because the software would not shut down. good thing my soundcard/interface was nearby so i could just pull the power to stop the noise but just the hard boot alone can ruin system file structure. it is scary to think if that would have happened while i was in headphones. 'supposedly' it has been run down to being caused by a plugin fault or call. and if not mistaken i think some have reported it in the past even when only using Presonus' stock plugins so it couldn't be blamed on 3rd party plugs alone. i believe they have taken some measures to combat it but i think it STILL raises it ugly head randomly even to this day.

because of my experience i had to read through this thread. accidents can happen and they quite often do but to think that a developer would intentionally put such a thing within their code to harm another is disturbing. if there is/was dangerous code manipulation as this to combat piracy i myself would no longer buy from that company plain and simple. i honestly believe Presonus was just as shocked as i was and they have done what they could to prevent it from further happenings. but any company that would stoop to harm a 'potential pirate' should be punished for the attempts. who cares that they were only trying to hurt pirates... there are a LOT of stupid kids in this world that will try anything without thinking things through and never ponder the consequences. in the end ... stupidity tends to weed itself out in time on both ends of the spectrum.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Logic simply blames 3rd party developers and washes their hands, although -every- plugin that had oversampling could cause the audio engine to go haywire and AU's are tested, but there was simply not getting through to them, because yes - it didn't happen with stock plugs. but if you offer 3rd party plugs, then make sure they can't explode

never thought about it being oversampling... at least in the S1 '666' case. that to me is feasible
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:51 am
aMUSEd wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 am
I really wish someone would bring out a new plugin that does this - sooner or later I keep thinking I’m going to find it no longer works. The only alternatives I know of add latency (except for Reaper’s built in one)

It would make a perfect Kilohearts snapin
i mean i can do this with Logic's ducker (stock) - or any gate plugin with a ducker mode.
Also Nugen SigMod.
Sigmod introduces latency

I place Cerberus ICE9 on the master outputs. Not quite as effective as Sigmod - there is a tiny, momentary tick of noise before the fuse blows, but nothing ear or gear threatening. Also, there's no latency and it's free

Abandonware now unfortunately, so a little difficult to source a download, but it's floating around on forum links and suchlike if you google for it.

EDIT - see this was already recommended! But it's worth tracking down, it does the job...

https://vstplugin.net/cerberus-audio-ice9-automute/ downloads are there but i would check them with a scanner before installing. i know nothing of the site... just that it holds the installers

cheers

I've had it happen to me several times and I've paid for all of my Fabfilter plugins. I'm also using Studio One like the user in that thread.

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Better still would be to introduce barely audible whispering of various messages or names at random.

You know I'd rather the software gave you an expletive laden telling off when it discovers wrong doing.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Even if i m not a pirate and own the full bundle it make me worry to be potentially hrt by this noise.please fabfilter remove it i dont want to be hurt by a bug and don t want to became worry each time i use your plugin.
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

jonalyn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:23 am Even if i m not a pirate and own the full bundle it make me worry to be potentially hrt by this noise.please fabfilter remove it i dont want to be hurt by a bug and don t want to became worry each time i use your plugin.
it's might not be noise embedded by fabfilter, considering what rodanmusic said.

I've had plugins from several vendors inexplicably explode in logic a few times.

Ploki wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am
jonalyn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:23 am Even if i m not a pirate and own the full bundle it make me worry to be potentially hrt by this noise.please fabfilter remove it i dont want to be hurt by a bug and don t want to became worry each time i use your plugin.
it's might not be noise embedded by fabfilter, considering what rodanmusic said.

I've had plugins from several vendors inexplicably explode in logic a few times.
This! Since switching to Reaper from ilLogic I no longer get those blasts of noise from plugins. Ive reported it to apple over the years but they never fixed it. One of reasons I switched DAWs after 30 years. Not sure of the ilLogic noise is related to the ff noise .

never got the noise under reaper but now i'm just worry it could happen...
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

Here is a video with the copy protection noise:

https://streamable.com/5x945i

So yes it's real.

(Note this is not my own video)

jonalyn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 pm never got the noise under reaper but now i'm just worry it could happen...
With Reaper you don´t have to worry!

It has a nice feature in the Mute/Solo options:
Reaper.jpg
If volume exceeds a user set level the track gets´automuted immediately and cannot damage anything anymore

PS: Even if I am more than a month late... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Effects”