OwlPlug - An audio plugin manager

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OwlPlug

Kristijonas wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:11 pm For some reason it deos not run on Mac OS Mojave. Any ideas how to fix it?
Yep this the same error I'm getting on Catalina 10.15.7.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Hi everyone!
If you faced the error "OwlPlug is damaged", can you try the workaround described here ?
Long even before Catalina macOS has been marking files that are downloaded from the internet with a filesystem attribute. It seems that from 10.5 (Leopard) a File Quarantine was introduced. However, from Catalina and up, it seems the protection has been upgraded and you won't be able to simply run anything you've downloaded. More info here

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/OwlPlug.app/
Unfortunately, OwlPlug is not notarized because I can't pay for the Apple developer program for now. :(

I was able to run OwlPlug on Mojave, however it does not show my plugins, only some from "OwlPlug central". I expected it will show all my plugins list with small thumbnails-screenshots - that would be a dream! :)

Kristijonas wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm I was able to run OwlPlug on Mojave, however it does not show my plugins, only some from "OwlPlug central". I expected it will show all my plugins list with small thumbnails-screenshots - that would be a dream! :)
Great, good to hear!
The "Store" tab is a view made to download new plugins from remote servers. OwlPlug displays already installed plugins in the "Plugins" tab. You have to configure the path to your plugin directory in the "Options" tab. Then, go back to the "Plugins" tab, hit the Sync button on the top-right corner and your plugins should appear in the list :wink:

There is a gif demo here: https://github.com/DropSnorz/OwlPlug

Great, thank you, I have successfully added plugin directory :)
However OwlPlug crashes on Quitting Sonnox plugin activation window. I have reported this issue on github.
P. S. Are you planning to add AU support? Also, plugin previews would be nice, I could help you to create a database of screenshots. Also, I would be glad to make a donation if I could expect a working version soon :)

Kristijonas wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:39 pm Great, thank you, I have successfully added plugin directory :)
However OwlPlug crashes on Quitting Sonnox plugin activation window. I have reported this issue on github.
P. S. Are you planning to add AU support? Also, plugin previews would be nice, I could help you to create a database of screenshots. Also, I would be glad to make a donation if I could expect a working version soon :)
For the crash, I'll answer you on GitHub asap.

Yes, AU support is targeted, but I can't give an ETA. The feature implementation is tracked here.

In the early months of OwlPlug, I've created an API that returns a screenshot from a plugin name or Id. It was just a proof of concept because in practice, it's too much work to maintain by myself so I abandoned the idea.
But we can imagine something collaborative, everyone would be able to submit a screenshot with an approval pipeline. (Maybe with a git workflow ?). Feel free to open a discussion on the Github repo, we can explore ideas and maybe start to organize things. This screenshot service may be used not only by Owlplug but by any host or plugin-related app.

dropsnorz wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:42 pm
Yes, AU support is targeted, but I can't give an ETA. The feature implementation is tracked here.
Hello,

A quick update on this, I've released OwlPlug 0.16 with AU support.
This version can be downloaded from Github as usual :wink:

Nice, thanks!

Had a play with OwlPlug on Big Sur 11.6 today. Was able to scan and see the plugins, but was unable to disable any plugins. Didn't receive any error messages - clicking the disable button simply doesn't do anything.

Crashing on scan here on Windows 10.

daveduffus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:49 am Had a play with OwlPlug on Big Sur 11.6 today. Was able to scan and see the plugins, but was unable to disable any plugins. Didn't receive any error messages - clicking the disable button simply doesn't do anything.
Hi daveduffus,

Thank you for using OwlPlug. Can you send me logs by PM ?
On macOS, logs are located on /home/{you}/.owlplug/logs.

Does this check for updates or compare a released version with your installed version of a plugin?

JonSolo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:33 pm Does this check for updates or compare a released version with your installed version of a plugin?
Hi JonSolo,

Yes OwlPlug can detect updates, but some conditions must be met:
  • Only plugins referenced in (but not necessarily downloaded from) the Store tab can be updated using OwlPlug. However, the app can't detect new versions for third-party or proprietary plugins.
  • The store configured in OwlPlug must contain the pluginId and the version tag on plugin metadata. This is the responsibility of the store maintainer. If so, when the store maintainer updates the plugin, the change will be detected by the app, and an "Update" button will be visible. It's the case for the default Store: OwlPlug Central.

Great thanks!

dropsnorz wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:18 pmThank you for using OwlPlug. Can you send me logs by PM ?
On macOS, logs are located on /home/{you}/.owlplug/logs.
Thank you!
PM has been sent.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”