Moonlight sonata on electric distortion harpsichord (Pianoteq + Zebrify)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A year ago I was pretty new to virtual instruments and synths. But this forum has been ... a good influence? a bad influence? Definitely some type of influence (-: Thanks everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Q-1gt_IVU

I'm starting to think of other pieces that might sound good on an electric distortion harpsichord, so I might play with this setup again next year. Any feedback and suggestions would be very welcome.

Most of the other entries in the PIanoteq video competition were "straight" piano playing. But a few people took the viewpoint that it's a virtual instrument, so let's make it do things that an acoustic piano can't.

Marc Boulé combined three instances of Pianoteq with VCVRack.

Chris Hillery didn't make a music track, but instead gave a presentation about some sounds you can get by pushing Pianoteq's settings outside physically realistic ranges.

A few people went microtonal. For me, the most interesting ones were:
El Mar Arabe by Sven Karma, using a variety of drum sounds
Extraterrestrial Blues by WhimsicallyMacabre (Stacey Fahrion), just piano but with some funky polyrhythms
Carol of the Bells in 19-edo by Peter Rudenko. I was sceptical when I saw the title, but it's surprisingly effective!

(Is there anyway to turn off embeddings, and just share the links without cluttering up the page so much?)
Last edited by ahanysz on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First use "Full Editor & Preview".
Second, look down in options and do a checkmark on the option "Do not automatically parse URLs".
Romans, from Pastoralsvit, Op.19, Lars Erik Larsson.
https://youtu.be/PPQ3gDXBP3c
:tu:

Thanks. That's the first thing I tried, and it didn't seem to make a difference. Turns out that it doesn't affect things in [url] tags, only bare URLs. And then the result isn't a clickable link. I was hoping for something that gives the hyperlink but not the video preview.

Anyway, thanks for the nice Swedish music :-)

Nice composition. Goes well with the video.

Personally, it sounds as if there could be a slight tweak to the eq to bring out the high frequencies a bit more, but it sounds good.
Evan Fabri, BSC. Diamaudix Audio Ltd. www.diamaudix.com

Nice. Sounds great to me.

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the EQ: I listened on three different sets of speakers as well as headphones, and got different impressions each time. But overall it turned out a bit better than I expected.

Return to “Music Cafe”