Songwriting. What does that word mean to you? and how do you do it?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
KVRAF
23307 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am

in current parlance in a joint like KVR "Producer" is used to self-ident where one would never just say 'musician' because that's not what happens. Everybody with a DAW is one on the first day.

I have written songs that are never going to be heard because I don't produce a track. At this point if something happens organically that is that quality of tune maybe, but the other things want to happen and it seems unlikely that I'd format a melody this way. even as song form occurs, my stuff convolutes real quick

KVRAF
2892 posts since 25 Mar, 2006 from The city by the bay

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm

If I hear the human voice and it's got lyrics I tend to consider it some kind of song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE--kj1 ... halashvili

The incredible dynamic range is of course not expected in your typical song but the 26 year old Mozart was on some special kind of journey... :love:

And how do I do it? Like some others here, I try to avoid it as much as possible maybe because there's so much great stuff already done over the centuries and the current styles are somewhat incompatible with my modest talents.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86186 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:24 am

jancivil wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:41 am
in current parlance in a joint like KVR "Producer" is used to self-ident where one would never just say 'musician' because that's not what happens. Everybody with a DAW is one on the first day.

I have written songs that are never going to be heard because I don't produce a track. At this point if something happens organically that is that quality of tune maybe, but the other things want to happen and it seems unlikely that I'd format a melody this way. even as song form occurs, my stuff convolutes real quick
i don't wear enough jewellery to be a producer.

User avatar
Beware the Quoth
30021 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:14 am
whyterabbyt wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:43 am
farlkukar's examples included painters, dancers and photographers, so yes, for some values of 'there.' Most of the people i know who 'produce' (when used as a synonym for 'make' or 'create') things are artists, that's the environment I work in.

TBH, though, Im not really sure what your point is, as nobody actually used the word 'artist' previously in the thread so I have no clear context :shrug:
foosnark :P
oopsie. sorry foosnark.
This signature tells the story really, as quoting insults directed at me makes me someone with an over-inflated ego.

User avatar
KVRist
366 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 am

Songwriter implies singing, which implies lyrics, but because we have "instrumentals" as a form of song I don't think a song necessarily has to have lyrics. Not only that, but most of the pieces of music that people create have song-like structures. It may sound weird to refer to an ambient song or a drum'n'bass song or a trap song, but that doesn't mean that they can't be considered as songs, so someone who makes one is a songwriter just as much as Cole Porter was, even if they're probably not as good.

Anyway, to me, songwriting is about trying to distill an emotion and let someone else feel it too. But I'm still working on how to do that.

User avatar
KVRAF
5299 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am

It's ok to admit that some genres are enjoyed for the inclusiveness of not having to be the most technically skilled musical artist to come down the pike
The lord of the ringdings will not punish you for it
Living rent free

User avatar
Rad Grandad
34940 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 am

Words are a barrier to help-seeking and a motivator for making discrimination acceptable.
Mad Pride
If there is a direction to mankind, it ought to be a coming together Brian May

KVRAF
23307 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:54 am

rp314 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm
[Mozart Mass]

And how do I do it? Like some others here, I try to avoid it as much as possible maybe because ...

KVRAF
23307 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am

here's one thing that all means for me: I think I'm so entrained to a song type of form that is encapsulated in 2 and a half to 3-something minutes that the majority of my compositions are that duration, and when they're longer it's often like two or three of 'em.
As out there or dense as it gets, I've got a middle and an end and it all fits in a three-minute kind of package. And I'm not trained to go on and on with an idea.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86186 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 pm

jancivil wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am
And I'm not trained to go on and on with an idea.
whereas i have no concept of keeping it short :oops:

which makes thinking of uploading video scary :o

User avatar
KVRAF
13203 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:33 pm

How I do it?




This is my secret: I don't.

I know my strengths & weaknesses. Writing lyrics is not for me. I write some riffs and chord progressions only. Let someone else do the lyrics if they want to sing.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

KVRAF
4685 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 pm

it's like art, or porn. you know it when you see it. you feel it because real knows real. Music is a human trait, and that means it's not an algorithm. perfection does not exist, you are supposed to be expressing yourself. music is art. "it's more art then science" (famous old quote). everyone knows when you are imitating, and imitation is ok if you understand what you are imitating. stop pretending.

KVRAF
4685 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 pm

also, i cannot believe i am teaching a generation that gave us edm this ish, but here i am.

KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:24 pm

BertKoor wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:33 pm
How I do it?




This is my secret: I don't.

I know my strengths & weaknesses. Writing lyrics is not for me. I write some riffs and chord progressions only. Let someone else do the lyrics if they want to sing.
Amen brother, same! :hug:

KVRAF
2892 posts since 25 Mar, 2006 from The city by the bay

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Double Tap wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 am
Songwriter implies singing, which implies lyrics, but because we have "instrumentals" as a form of song I don't think a song necessarily has to have lyrics. Not only that, but most of the pieces of music that people create have song-like structures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYISvaz ... Chaimovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=souxkKC ... aGoldstein

Return to β€œEverything Else (Music related)”