Problems moving from iTunes to Apple Music

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
32945 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:47 am

Now I have updated to Big Sur the Apple Music app has changed from iTunes to Apple Music. Problem is it isn't recognising my ripped CD collection which was saved to iTunes. I have tried pointing it to my iTunes media folder but still it isn't working, ie when I check the file location for albums that should point to Apple Lossless files on the hard drive it just says they are AAC and in the cloud. Anyone gone through this and knows how to make it recognise the files on the hard drive which are better quality than the ones in the cloud?

KVRian
622 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:08 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:47 am
Now I have updated to Big Sur the Apple Music app has changed from iTunes to Apple Music. Problem is it isn't recognising my ripped CD collection which was saved to iTunes. I have tried pointing it to my iTunes media folder but still it isn't working, ie when I check the file location for albums that should point to Apple Lossless files on the hard drive it just says they are AAC and in the cloud. Anyone gone through this and knows how to make it recognise the files on the hard drive which are better quality than the ones in the cloud?
Far as I know if you're subscribing to Apple Music and syncing the library its going to try to match files with stuff they've already got to save space on their end (and network bandwidth) and you're out of luck.

If that's not what you're intending you can turn off sync in the preferences.

KVRAF
23270 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm

it's pretty useless, it's changed since Mojave for sure, it's gotten exponentially worse continuously up to this sorry state. I use it for one thing, the classic visualizer which I grab screen movies of for my Youtube uploads. The whole thing is just a store now and I don't buy mp3s or consume any of it.

KVRAF
23270 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 pm

the only path I know for trying to make that kind of thing work is to not be logged into Apple for all this device sync. They've removed most of functionality of iTunes, so there's no such thing as that anymore, prob'ly best to forget about it. Consume and obey or else!

KVRian
622 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 am

Yes, they moved all that functionality elsewhere. Connectivity to iPhones, etc. to Finder. Podcasts to the podcasts app. etc. Good move too given how often people bitched about it being more than a music app

KVRAF
2062 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 pm

Haven't tried it here, but Retroactive will let you (re)install iTunes on Big Sur.
Image Image Image

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”