PSP Saturator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PSP Saturator

@db3
What system and host do you use? PSP Saturator fully supports RETINA displays.

tonymax wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 am what code?
nusound mind wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:23 am Got this for 21 bucks with the code from psp, and my initial, very preliminary impressions are that it sounds really good. Better than I thought it'd be, we'll see but I I like it so far, a lot, of course shiney new toy honeymoon phase considerations must be taken into account but this has potential to replace other stuff I think, if first impressions hold up and I test it on a greater variety of different sources etc.
There's a code during checkout for owning mixpack or other psp plugins that stacks on the intro price discount. It's different than i remember the system being but if you have other psp plugs look for a code at checkout and the spot to enter it.

thanks nusound, i have a few other plugins but not mixpack... will look for the code..

edit... nope, no extra code for me and i havea quite a few of their plugins...

nusound mind wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:41 pm
tonymax wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 am what code?
nusound mind wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:23 am Got this for 21 bucks with the code from psp, and my initial, very preliminary impressions are that it sounds really good. Better than I thought it'd be, we'll see but I I like it so far, a lot, of course shiney new toy honeymoon phase considerations must be taken into account but this has potential to replace other stuff I think, if first impressions hold up and I test it on a greater variety of different sources etc.
There's a code during checkout for owning mixpack or other psp plugins that stacks on the intro price discount. It's different than i remember the system being but if you have other psp plugs look for a code at checkout and the spot to enter it.

db3 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:48 am
PSP wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:07 pm we could adopt support for retina screens, design scalable interfaces
Saturator doesn't have a hi-dpi UI. Twin-L is the only PSP plugin I've seen that looks correct on retina. Are you planning to implement hi-dpi across the range?
It’s scalable here and looks great. There’s the 100% in the top left or you can drag the bottom right corner.

tonymax wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:49 pm
It’s only for Mixpack owners.

makes sense, thanks monkeybot..
ill pass onthis one, just trying the demo, doesnt give me anymore that i have already..
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:28 pm
tonymax wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:49 pm
It’s only for Mixpack owners.

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:10 am
dblock wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:45 pm Demoing now. I don't usually glow about new stuff like this but I had been was hoping a saturator plugin would come along and knock my IK Tape off it's cpu hogging high horse for some time now and I have finally found it. I have Kelvin and most of the others but I was specifically looking for something that rivaled the IK Tape sound. To be honest, I didn't expect it to come from PSP (no offense PSP) but I'm floored by this plugin.The sound to my ears is at "least" as good as IK and the more I play with it the more I'm thinking "better" because of all the options it comes with and with only a fraction of the cpu usage IK Tapes. Why couldn't IK do that? This plugin proves while a quality plugin can take up a lot of cpu, it doesn't always have to if you do it right.Whatever. I'm buying this as soon as I'm done typing this. No more "which plugin do I kick off my master bus so I can use the IK Tape too?" situations on my master bus because of the huge cpu usage. I can finally use my Softube EQ1 (another hog) and Softube DS1 WITH PSP Saturator together on my master bus. PSP knocked it out of the park with this one.jmo!
Have you tried Tupe by goodhertz? 90% of the saturators I’ve tried are boring and tiresome compared to that. However, I’m a staunch PSP supporter as well. That combined with my $20 purchase price means I’ll buy PSP’s anyway. 😊
Haven't tried Tupe and I'm sure it could very well be an excellent plugin but for me personally, I avoid working with plugins I can't stand to look at and that is one of them. That gui in my own opinion is just too clowny looking and distracting. Just no.

PSP wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 am @db3
Ableton Live 11 macOS 11.6. It doesn't look terrible, but it's not as crisp as you would expect from anything rendered for retina. Ploki noted the same in an earlier post. Twin-L is the only PSP plugin I have which looks 100% correct.

https://ibb.co/tQ2Ffmv

I see what you meant.
Last edited by PSP on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSP wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 am @db3
no it doesn't, it looks blocky on Logic Pro 10.7 / Big Sur

https://i.imgur.com/9PsLzu5.png

While you're here, is RAM / Medium Tape algo doing something with phase?
The only way I hard something behave in this manner was phase distortion / phaser feeding a waveshaper.

it s good but kinda "hifi" i was hoping for more color/ mojo to use on single sound , this sound high quality to me but the kind of saturation that you can even use on buss, i just used a little so it might be me .
edit: spend more time with it and could dial in exaclty the sound i was after in really good quality :tu:

So far I’ve found that, for me, PSP isn’t bringing anything particularly new to the party. It does seem very good, especially if you don’t have any/many saturators already. I’d definitely get it for $20, but my price is $58 and I already have a lot of saturation/distortion plugins.

In my plugin folder, I’m finding Saturn2 to be the main reason to not also get the PSP Saturator. That said, I also feel I’d need to choose between two plugins to cover what PSP brings (eg Saturn2 and something crunchier if going more for full distortion).

Well RAM and Medium tape do bring something new. If you drive them hard, amplitude behaves like opening/closing filter on the harmonics. It sounds similar to i.e. phase distortion or something, but so far nobody else noticed this or mentioned it

Ploki wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:09 am While you're here, is RAM / Medium Tape algo doing something with phase?
The only way I hard something behave in this manner was phase distortion / phaser feeding a waveshaper.
No, they don’t play with phase. These are just shape.

PS. Regarding to retina support you are right on Mac is still not working properly in AU and VST versions. On our to do list.

I gave it a quick demo and I find it to be nice sounding but not $69 nice sounding with all the competition. To me it sounds kinda "fat" but in a good way.
The biggest drawbacks, for me, are:

1) Output gain control is placed after the dry/wet control.
EDIT:There's a separate "Makeup" control before the "Mix" control in the drop-down part of the interface (click "Open").
2) Mode switching is implemented with the knob.

All in all it sounds like a latest generation (last couple of years "latest") saturator to me, but not exceptional.
Last edited by Scarlet Pumpernickel on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”