Spectrasonics Sonic Extensions >>> what do you think? which experience?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
some days ago Spectrasonics launched the new Sonic Extensions.
Cause I use Omnisphere nearlly from the very first beginning as it was launched and I'm still a fan of Omnisphere, I think about to buy or not to buy some of the 4 libraries.
So far it is very difficult to get real user reviews/videos, which demonstrate/show a bigger overview about the presets. The most videos are provided from Spectrasonic or Specatronsic loyal users.
My interest is focusing on presets, there scenes including drums, grooves/rhyhtms, chords, bass arpeggios (ready-to-play presets). I have no idea, how many of such ready-to-play soundsets are included beside single patches.
Often the demo videos includes beats, grooves, bass arpeggios which are not part of the Sonic Extension libraries.
I guess the most ready-to-play scenes with drums/rhythms/grooves, basslines, chords are included in the "Undercurrent" library. Or? Or has each library a nameable number of such ready-to-play presets?
Is there an overview per library, which number of ready-to-play presets incl. drums/rhythms/grooves, basslines, chords are included?

Before I invest around 150€ (per Library) I want to be sure ;-)

Hi - it's not very obvious but on the Sonic Extensions website there is a full patch and soundsource list for each expansion under the DEMOS tab. (why there?!)

It doesn't break it down to scene level (you might get a lead and a pad and a bass an effect on 5 different scenes), nor show you which ARP is in what category - bass, drums etc - so it's not everything you're looking for.

The extensions with most drums I've found are Unclean Machine and Undercurrent. Unclean has has aound 20 drum / percussion soundsources, and 15 patches tagged as BPM Perc Synthetic (and half a dozen bass lines). Similar numbers of Undercurrent, more also a few organic and a lot more 20 basslines. Seismic Shock has a ton of basslines, but not much in pure drums. Nothing like this in Nylon Sky really.

But to emphasise - many other patches will have basslines etc as a scene.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Do the extensions add new arpeggiator presets for each pack?

I bought all 4 and am still just slowly familiarizing myself with them. I am pretty blown away by the strumming (courtesy of the 2.8 arpeggiator update) in Nylon Sky. I did try to use some non-Nylon Sky soundsources with strumming and had good results with some piano/key type sounds and bad results with other guitar sources (so far). I also put some of the Nylon Sky patches through the SansAmp plugin (whatever they call it) and got some fun results. Believe it or not, the tremelo (picking technique - not effect) patches sounded really cool amped up and distorted. Will I ever use that in a song? Probably!

I hope people keep posting questions and answers here. The original thread is full of price/feature criticisms I don't have time to read. I already saw some questions I don't know the answers to yet, but will look into as time permits.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

m-ac wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:18 pm Do the extensions add new arpeggiator presets for each pack?
I'm pretty sure the new STRUM arp presets are installed as part of Omni 2.8, maybe some can confirm that does doesn't have Nylon Sky. Pretty sure there's no new ARP presets otherwise.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I'll be interested in them if, and only if, Spectrasonics open up the ability for sound designers to create their own custom controls, scenes, and control macros. As it is, the functionality in the extensions cannot be replicated in one's own custom patches, nor can the control macros be edited on the Extension presets themselves.

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:05 pm I'll be interested in them if, and only if, Spectrasonics open up the ability for sound designers to create their own custom controls, scenes, and control macros. As it is, the functionality in the extensions cannot be replicated in one's own custom patches, nor can the control macros be edited on the Extension presets themselves.
i hope so too, for Omnishere 3 i think
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”