Have Modern VST Instruments Replaced Your Hardware Synths ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

blip ping ding dong

AnX wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:33 pm blip ping ding dong
their first record is a classic! :tu:

dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:46 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:13 pm time for sexy led and cable shots 💜💜💜Screenshot_2021-06-22-21-13-11-327~2.jpg
Ooh, I spot something u-he shaped 8)
two somethings :)

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:26 pm
dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:46 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:13 pm time for sexy led and cable shots 💜💜💜Screenshot_2021-06-22-21-13-11-327~2.jpg
Ooh, I spot something u-he shaped 8)
two somethings :)
they make up the brains of the operation! or the central nervous system really,
nice for feedback loops :ud:

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:09 pmI have Black Corporations Xerxes... a semi-clone of the Synthex. Xerxes has this lovely shimmery, fizzy high end. It's just there, without having to search for sweet spots.
I leave the high end to hi-hats.
It just sounds beautiful! And that is without even adding FX.
I think that's where hardware generally falls down - it's too hard for a dry hardware synth to compete with VSTi dripping with effects. That definitely holds my Rocket back, which is why I bought a multi-effects unit for it, and the effects in AK and Uno Pro make them far more competitive. Even the simple delay in Uno helps it a lot.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My first hardware synth is replacing some of my my VSTs.

Care to provide any details?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I evaluated over the past years, if and which VST could replace my hardware synths. I always research on that topic.
So far I would state, that on normal patches/sounds some VST have a huge number of really impressive patches/sounds, which my hardware synths (Yamaha Motif and Montage) don't have.
Especially on the orchestra side, libraries for Kontakt have much more options and sounds since year like real orchestras. I don't know any hardware synth, which reaches the level of the Kontakt orchestra libraries.
On the other hand for me auto accompanient patches/ready-to-play presets (incl. grooves, arpeggios, drums, chords) are very important in order for instant live improvising. And here is the reason, why hardware workstations/synthesizers still exists.
Such auto accompanient functions I newer found in VST/software synthesizers. I don't know why nobody develops VST incl. real auto accompanient functions. Some VST going in a direction like accompanient. Expamples are the multi or sequence presets of like e.g. Omnisphere, Nexus, Vengeance, Transfuser. For Kontakt also some libraries goes in that direction like e.g. Rhythmology. But all these software solutions not really produces auto accompanients as the workstations of Roland, Korg or Yamaha. Mostly the before named VST solutions depends on techno, rave, trap and so on. These genres are not made for me :-)
Solutions like e.g. Band-In-A-Box sounds like older entertainer keyboards :-) And the way/workflow is too complicated in order for instant playing/improvising.
So on the end I have to invest all 2-3 years in a hardware synthesizer/workstation in order to extend the auto accompanient sounds, cause the number of libraries (also from 3rd party providers) don't really concentrate on auto accompanient patches.
Perhaps on the end it is never possible from a technical perpective to build in such auto accompanient functions on a VST.
But, I still wait further for the day, then somebody comes up with a VST, which could replace my hardware synths/workstations :-)

i use moslty my plugins cause of workflow , but sonically no plugin replaced any hardware i own / owned, if plugins would have replaced a hardware piece is that hardware was not worht it to me, as i like more the workflow of plugins. except maybe virus as many plugins sound smilar even if i can t recreate some of my fav virus patchs so sometimes i still miss it, but all the analog fx, processors , synth i owned add no replacment cause not emulated at all, or sometimes not possible to emulate good cause of digital limitation maybe

kobal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:26 pm synth i owned add no replacment cause not emulated at all, or sometimes not possible to emulate good cause of digital limitation maybe
The recently launched Korg Triton Extreme VST is so far the only emulation of a hardware synthesizer/workstation I know, which seems nearly complete emulated. Also the accompaniment presets are included.
I don't no why, that no other hardware workstations are emulated (nearly) complete in that way.
Maybe too much development/too much effort? Or does Yamaha, Korg and Roland prevent such emulations in order force selling actual and upcoming hardware workstations?
Other smaller companies/developers perhaps don't have the capabilities (like the big five/three) to develop complete software/VST workstations?
I'm pretty sure, that there would be a big market (thenever), if you provide instead of hardware VST/software workstations. Only the advantage of less necessary stack space for hardware keys.... :-)
And perhaps software solutions are a lot cheaper.

Bladerunner1962 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm
kobal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:26 pm synth i owned add no replacment cause not emulated at all, or sometimes not possible to emulate good cause of digital limitation maybe
The recently launched Korg Triton Extreme VST is so far the only emulation of a hardware synthesizer/workstation I know, which seems nearly complete emulated. Also the accompaniment presets are included.
I don't no why, that no other hardware workstations are emulated (nearly) complete in that way.
Maybe too much development/too much effort? Or does Yamaha, Korg and Roland prevent such emulations in order force selling actual and upcoming hardware workstations?
Other smaller companies/developers perhaps don't have the capabilities (like the big five/three) to develop complete software/VST workstations?
I'm pretty sure, that there would be a big market (thenever), if you provide instead of hardware VST/software workstations. Only the advantage of less necessary stack space for hardware keys.... :-)
And perhaps software solutions are a lot cheaper.
Roland Have Zenology Pro vst which is their latest Rompler+Synth Technology but it is missing the Reverb from the HW.
They also have the JV1080 vst and XV5080 Vst + SRX Expansions but the SRX Expansions are single products which is a shame since Korg gives us everything in one plugin .

For me it is the other way round. Hardware synths have replaced some of my VST instruments. The Arturia Polybrute sounds great and the interface is amazing. The mod matrix is the best ever!

The Waldorf M also has a good and enjoyable UI and the sound! :love: :love: :love:

Nothing I have in software can replicate the sound of the M.

I'll always be using softsynths too though. I'm happy with my hybrid setup these days. Not so many hardware synths that it is a hassle for connecting them, but enough to take off the CPU pressure from using software instruments like Bazille and RePro which munch CPU.

Is there a softsynth out there that has the sound character/quality of rev2 prophet 5/prophet 6? Love that SSM2040 filter and sound. already have repro5 for the rev3 CEM sound.

You can get an Analog HW filter with an updated version of that 2040 chip in it for relatively cheap (eurorack). :shrug:

I have one, imo it sounds awesome.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:10 pmThe Arturia Polybrute sounds great and the interface is amazing. The mod matrix is the best ever!
Really? So drag 'n' drop then, like the best VSTi? Because to me it just looks like a shit version of the Mod Matrix in Sugar-Bytes' Factory, which isn't even close to the best mod matrix available in a VSTi.
Nothing I have in software can replicate the sound of the M.
If that's true, then Waldorf have done a really shit job in their promo videos because it all sounds rather thin to me. I mean, how good can it be when it maxes out at 2 oscillators x 8 voices? It's never going to be able to compete with DUNE's 32 waveforms per oscillator x 2 oscillators x 16 voices, is it? It just can't, end of story. Money wasted. And when I say "money", I mean a lot of money because that ugly little thing costs more than my entire set-up - my laptop, all the music software on it and all the hardware and peripherals I have.

And let's be clear here - M might have analogue VCF/VCA but that just makes it like my Rocket, which cost 1/10th as much. That's ONE-TENTH! The oscillators are pure software, just like any wavetable VSTi, from Vital to Serum or DUNE. It's 50% more than Korg's lovingly crafted recreation of the ARP2600, which everyone complains is way over-priced. At least I can see the appeal of throwing money at something like the ARP2600 but the M would need to be half the price they are asking before it would even begin to make sense.

Return to “Instruments”