OR
RS56
TG Mastering chain
SIR standardClip

mid/side EQ -> compressor -> limiter :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Can't say it's the best but it's working for me right now in my master bus template.
British Class A
Overstayer
PSP Saturator
Weiss EQ1
Weiss DS1 mk3
PA BAX eq

Two solid positions are:
bx_digital v3
elysia alpha comp
rest may vary, but it usually ends up in ozone limiter for minimal gain reduction and peak protection.

IK Bus Comp
IK Tape 80 or 99
Weiss Compressor
Weiss MM-1 Limiter
Ozone: maximizer with -0.5 to -2dB True Peak (because Weiss Limiter can't handle true peaks properly)

My go to chain for pretty much all masters that i do:

- uhe Satin for Tape Color
- Waves PuigChild with max. 1db of compression
- Pro-Q 3
- Plugin Alliance Shadow Hills Compressor
- Ozone (Exciter and Stereo Image Tool)
- brainworx bx_2098
- Waves L3-LL Multiband Limiter
(- Ozone Match EQ if needed)
- Fabfilter Pro-L 2

elysia alpha comp > VSM-3 > softube/ni Passive > sknote presence > sometimes softube Tape > limiter6GE

bx_digital v3 -> Inflator -> IK Stealth Limiter

roman.i wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 am My choice:

bx_digital v3
Tone projects - unisum
Fabfilter L2

What is yours? Why?
I've only mastered one single track and one whole album completely ITB over the last 13 years, but if I had to do it now, it would probably go something like this:

Voxengo R8Brain Pro
Acon Acoustica Post Production Suite
TDR Slick EQ M
AirWindows Ultrasonic
Softube Chandler Germanium Compressor
TDR Slick EQ M
Voxengo OVC-128
Voxengo MSED
TDR Slick EQ M
AirWindows Ultrasonic
DMG Limitless
AirWindows NJAD
Youlean Loudness Meter

But I'm not gonna explain why, cos you didn't either. ;) I could probably do most of the work with any decent combo of a single Comp, EQ and Limiter, if I had to go minimal. WRT mastering, I think knowing what moves to make is much more important than the tools you use to get there.

No ToneProjects Unisum mentions seems crazy.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 am ...
Voxengo MSED
TDR Slick EQ M
I'm curious about this part of the chain. What is the single MSED instance doing? Slick EQ M covers stereo width pretty thoroughly.

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 am No ToneProjects Unisum mentions seems crazy.
I mentioned it.

imrae wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:07 am
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 am ...
Voxengo MSED
TDR Slick EQ M
I'm curious about this part of the chain. What is the single MSED instance doing? Slick EQ M covers stereo width pretty thoroughly.
Just force of habit with how I currently use a similar setup, but with the analogue chain in the middle. I have been using MSED since forever (long before TDR were a thing) and I like the fact that you can adjust the Sum and Difference separately in dB, whereas with the TDR stuff it's a very slightly more confusing "balance" control. But yeah, just habit basically, could just use the Slick EQ M to do it all.

True Iron > bx_townhouse > Rule Tec > Black Box HG-2 > Softube Tape > Ozone 9 > TDR Limiter 6 GE.

Sometimes I use Softube Saturation Knob instead of HG-2, sometimes I don't use Rule Tec at all. But that's pretty much the chain. Thinking of buying Voxengo TEOTE, and that will go before everything else.

Return to “Effects”