Studio One, compared to FL/Ableton?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRAF
10701 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 am

hoxclab wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:05 am
Why would they struggle though? They literally do the same thing.
Because the paradigm is completely different. FL's core idea is a Pattern in a Rack, that you then can paint however you like on Playlist and route however you like into Mixer. In majority of DAWs there's strict relationship between sound (audio or VST), track in sequencer and channel in mixer. Lack of this relationship in FL - albeit super powerful - can be very confusing for someone that's not prepared for it.

hoxclab wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:05 am
FL just has more features which give it a faster workflow.
Both, especially the latter I find arguable. But in the end it's a matter of personal experience, preferences and needs.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist

Topic Starter

86 posts since 4 Apr, 2021

Post Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 pm

Here are my experiences now after spending even MORE time with demos of S1 & Ableton (I tried Cubase quickly but it didn’t feel right for my & the whole dongle thing).

Ableton takes ages to open (tried on 2 computers and it is slow on both - FL opens almost instantly). Maybe this is something to do with demo version… S1 is faster to open, but still not as fast as FL. But not as bad as Ableton.

I am surprised how good the pianoroll in S1 is! I find it to be much faster to work with than FL (at least for my workflow S1 pianoroll feels really good). Ableton here has some strange limitations like the pianoroll only plays a very short snippet of the note (you can fix this by inserting some midi effect but I find that to be extra work step to make).

S1 does have some minuses, naturally. And I will test it more.

KVRAF
10701 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:23 am

Bartone wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 pm
Ableton takes ages to open (tried on 2 computers and it is slow on both - FL opens almost instantly). Maybe this is something to do with demo version… S1 is faster to open, but still not as fast as FL. But not as bad as Ableton.
In my experience this has been significantly improved in current v11.1 beta. It's not as fast as FL or Reaper obviously, but finally in the ballpark of S1 and Bitwig. Hope it stays that way.
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:26 am

S1 a better piano roll than FL? What planet is this on my dude?

KVRian
1188 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am

Piano roll? Seriously? :lol:

I’ve used a lot of DAWs over a lot of years and the one thing that is exactly the same in all of them is the piano roll.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
2987 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am

jamcat wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am

I’ve used a lot of DAWs over a lot of years and the one thing that is exactly the same in all of them is the piano roll.
Yeah, but you use the same to edit what you recorded, these guys are relying on same to actually come up with anything musical, that requires tons of mouse clicks and hack music theory features, it's amazing and sad in same time.

KVRAF
29959 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 am

jamcat wrote:

Agreed. No idea why in every second DAW thread, there are discussions about who has the better piano roll. They're all usable. Except the one in Cakewalk. :lol:
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1188 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Passing Bye wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am
jamcat wrote:

Yeah, but you use the same to edit what you recorded, these guys are relying on same to actually come up with anything musical, that requires tons of mouse clicks and hack music theory features, it's amazing and sad in same time.
I'm envisioning this amazing piano roll has Clippy pop up every time you add a note.

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Banned

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm

jamcat wrote:

Yeah they’re all the same minus FL’s superior piano roll. You don’t understand because you’re uncultured.

Banned

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:43 pm

jamcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 am
Easy how I can say that: Not everyone writes and records songs. Lots of people only "make beats" or "tweak loops" or make sound effects or whatever, and something like Froot Loops or Bitwig will be good for them, while Studio One will be good for people who record and arrange proper music.
“Proper music”

KVRer
3 posts since 25 Oct, 2021

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:12 am

To be frank. (Hi im frank) - Every DAW is good, you write, you mix, you finish. its just how you get there that matters.

now, FL is good as it has a lot of "modern" aspects to it, and some of the featurs in this are amazing. (hello pitch controls), but then every DAW has its "special" thing that it does best, it all-depends on what _you_ want it to do, that afterall will require your elimination process. - I mean, FL studio has its cool pitch effects on anything, but in other daws that dont nativly support that you can use plugins instead..(im giving examples here)

For example, Protools has an amzing tapestop effect that no other daw can make as quick as that.. FL has Pitch (and other things) of course, Studio one also has a lot of added features, and recently its gotten a lot better.

IF you like the entire Dragndrop approach then S1 is totally viable, & if yoru used to the classic DAW approach its good for that too, the standard set of plugins is _ok_ usable, but lets be honest we all have our go-to's anwyay, so Id never really buy a DAW based on what it comes with.

For me, and (im frank remember) I choose a DAW based on screenspace, Hotkeys and workflow only. - FL, protools & Studio one ive used extensivly in many studios I go to...I cant, and never will pick a favourite as there simply (to frank) no such thing! :)

I often use protools too record in, then mix in Studio one. - Sample stuff in FL, and do other stuff in other DAWS.. really does depend what it is you want out of it.... dont forget.. NOT ONE DAW rules them all.. it just doesnt, and never will!. - its what you caan personally understand as a producer/musican. they all do pretty much the same but maybe its in a different heading, or menu or whatever.....you get my point

Signing out.
Frank :)

KVRAF
2420 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:57 pm

PolyGon44 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:12 am
To be frank. (Hi im frank) - Every DAW is good, you write, you mix, you finish. its just how you get there that matters.

now, FL is good as it has a lot of "modern" aspects to it, and some of the featurs in this are amazing. (hello pitch controls), but then every DAW has its "special" thing that it does best, it all-depends on what _you_ want it to do, that afterall will require your elimination process. - I mean, FL studio has its cool pitch effects on anything, but in other daws that dont nativly support that you can use plugins instead..(im giving examples here)

For example, Protools has an amzing tapestop effect that no other daw can make as quick as that.. FL has Pitch (and other things) of course, Studio one also has a lot of added features, and recently its gotten a lot better.

IF you like the entire Dragndrop approach then S1 is totally viable, & if yoru used to the classic DAW approach its good for that too, the standard set of plugins is _ok_ usable, but lets be honest we all have our go-to's anwyay, so Id never really buy a DAW based on what it comes with.

For me, and (im frank remember) I choose a DAW based on screenspace, Hotkeys and workflow only. - FL, protools & Studio one ive used extensivly in many studios I go to...I cant, and never will pick a favourite as there simply (to frank) no such thing! :)

I often use protools too record in, then mix in Studio one. - Sample stuff in FL, and do other stuff in other DAWS.. really does depend what it is you want out of it.... dont forget.. NOT ONE DAW rules them all.. it just doesnt, and never will!. - its what you caan personally understand as a producer/musican. they all do pretty much the same but maybe its in a different heading, or menu or whatever.....you get my point

Signing out.
Frank :)
Back so soon ? hoxclab... I mean, nobody goes to the length of having so many deliberate and bad spelling mistakes in one post when joining a forum. Given the response to one of the mods in another thread, it's clear that you had this account already lined up. :clown:
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”