2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:20 am got this ridiculous thing in the mail today... 24lbs with the case. :tu:

169.jpg
It’s the full SP experience!

Ok I decided on some Strymon stuff, saving a lot for later. I am a big fan of their use of the AD dsp chips. :shrug:

Anyway, BigSky and Iridium, 2 pedals for a whopping $878 wtf :lol: ...

Found a i5 mac mini at my local second hand store for £200. Figure I can use that to familiarise myself with Macs, handle some stuff my PC drivers don’t like - TR-Editor and Boss GP10 - and keep my powder dry for when the revised Mac Mini surfaces. OK so I won’t get extra power right now, but nice to have a way to forget about driver issues.

Edit: Picked it up today. Upgraded it to the highest OS it can handle, Catalina and it's working very nicely. Handy side effect of having the TR-8S attached to it via USB, which I was initially doing just for the TR-Editor, is that I managed to set up the TR-8S as an interface on the Mac and I can send output to the final stereo out and that is effectively the External Input on the TR-8S which I can pick up on my PC as it gets sent to the normal TR-8S Audio mix. This means I can get audio out without having to fart around connecting up an old interface just for the Mac. Nice.

Think I got a bit of a bargain. The 500GB SDD it came with is registering 400MB/s read and write speeds which is much better than I was expecting. A lot of these old Macs seem to come with 100MB/s disks. Yeah, pretty happy with it so far.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

After Later Tilt and ADDAC Marble Physics, replacing my Maths. :tu:

I plan to get a Xaoc Erfurt when they are available, unless the demo videos are completely underwhelming. I do have about 6HP of available space in case I feel like I need a second Tilt or an Airstreamer... but honestly, with Stages and Just Friends in the case I don't think I'm going to be short of modulation. I'll have some 1HP and 2HP blanks to put some space between a few of the smaller and hotter modules.

The last thing was UVI Falcon. Love it.

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm The last thing was UVI Falcon. Love it.
its not hardware, though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 am
Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm The last thing was UVI Falcon. Love it.
its not hardware, though.
Did see the forum! Sorry.

Its not a big deal, other people have mentioned software before; I really just pointed it out because it doesnt really get follow-up in the same way as hardware...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I couldn't resist anymore! So, I pre-ordered Hydrasynth Explorer :) It is coming 21st of January though :( I was between it and the Korg Modwave, but watching many videos, I felt that the Hydrasynth is what I need, an agressive sound. I also like the CEO from when he was giving tuturials about Synclavier V when he was working with Arturia. It also seems with a good built quality :)

Well, I still like my last purchase (DeepMind 12D). I actually love it :D Didn't expect it to be this good! It stopped any itching for analog hardware! So I think I will have enough synthesis types and timbers that cover most everything :)

Oh! and more cables of course!

The strymon stuff is very good, as expected. Not sure they would be worth the cost to
everyone, but you really cant argue with the sound. Personally, I would probably prefer
a more comprehensive solution for the guitar than is present in the iridium, but it's going
to work well in it's intended role very likely. For me it's good, as guitar is not my primary
focus. It is super quick and handy, definitely.

The BlueSky is stellar, though not head and shoulders above anything else I've heard. I just
wanted a nice "battle ship" reverb pedal with lots of algorithms, and it certainly delivers.
I never intended to be the only reverb on my list of stuff. Great for synths and guitar,
maybe not as much for drum machines (purely subjective). For a bit more off the wall stuff,
I would still like to get the DBA Rooms and maybe something from Chase Bliss or Red Panda
at a minimum, the OTO Bam would be great, but it's not going to be huge priority for me. I
would have bought it tho, had it been available.

The stick on rubber feet are pretty cheesy for the cost, and the Iridium could use a nicer
psu like that from the BigSky instead of the snap together universal one it comes with.
I have yet to try some alternative IR's with it either.

I nearly bit the bullet last night on a B stock Waldorf Quantum, but managed to rein my GAS in. The store offered 48 month payments and it was only £2,399.
If someone else could please buy it so I don't have to think about it any more I'd appreciate it :)
https://www.kmraudio.com/waldorf-quantum-b.php

Although I got really close to buying it I figured what I really want is an Iridium with all the Quantum filters that doesn't actually exist yet.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I was firm on not buying anymore hw since i was happy with my Digital Setup Roland FA + 2 JX-03's but after some thought i ended up with a Analog Mono (The Behringer Neutron), which looks like this :)

I am not a Behringer fan, but I have to admit that overlay makes the Neutron look sharp :tu:

^ that ^ :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”