Reason price hike starting October 1st

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks Guys got that at 114 $ with FORUM coupon

I am very happy using reason 10 for make music from scratch, and mix them using Studio One. I can't find a reason to upgrade this DAW except this guy cannot load the VST 3

It's interesting to see that many shops all over the map still carry it at the original update price. It's either the Props secretely back-pedalling to at least some degree or the updates area really selling super-slow - either despite or even because of the announced price hike*.

If the latter is the case it nicely illustrates the absurdity of the price increase.

*Tbh I am not even sure which of those two options I fall into - I wasn't going to ugrade in the first place but the announcement even drastically increased my (already strong) contempt for their current management and thus made it even less likely for me to upgrade to R12 (from 11). oHonestly it somehow makes me happy to see evidence of me far from being alone in this. Karma is a bitch.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 am It's interesting to see that many shops all over the map still carry it at the original update price. It's either the Props secretely back-pedalling to at least some degree or the updates area really selling super-slow - either despite or even because of the announced price hike*.

If the latter is the case it nicely illustrates the absurdity of the price increase.

*Tbh I am not even sure which of those two options I fall into - I wasn't going to ugrade in the first place but the announcement even drastically increased my (already strong) contempt for their current management and thus made it even less likely for me to upgrade to R12 (from 11). oHonestly it somehow makes me happy to see evidence of me far from being alone in this. Karma is a bitch.
I would believe the case is simply that the retailers bought a batch of licenses at the original OEM prices, and there’s no real reason to jack up the prices to match Reason’s own price hike. With AudioDeluxe, Plugin Boutique and all other third-party distributors battling it out as always, you’d only shoot yourself in the foot by raising the price.

BeeDog wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am I would believe the case is simply that the retailers bought a batch of licenses at the original OEM prices
So it sounds like Reason 12 is selling pretty slow if all the retailers still have all those licenses at original OEM prices?

festeringheap wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:13 pm
BeeDog wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am I would believe the case is simply that the retailers bought a batch of licenses at the original OEM prices
So it sounds like Reason 12 is selling pretty slow if all the retailers still have all those licenses at original OEM prices?
It would seem so from the outside, but on the other hand I don't think RS is stupid and would increase the price of upgrades and licenses if that was the case. DAWs and plugins are not luxury items where you increase the status by restricting supply and hiking the price :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BeeDog wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am I would believe the case is simply that the retailers bought a batch of licenses at the original OEM prices, and there’s no real reason to jack up the prices to match Reason’s own price hike.
Yes, and I (implicitly) mentioned that possibility in my post - my point was that those who are currently interested in upgrading at all would hurry up to do so while they can still get it at the old price - and now, almost one month past the official date of the price increase there nonetheless still seems to be plenty of licences left from these batches. So if they have troubles selling upgrades at the old price, then who is gonna upgrade at the new price?

The other explanation I mentioned is that they allow certain resellers to keep selling it the old price without them needing to have bought batches in advance.

And either way it proves that they were right in their original lack of confidence to successfully pull this stunt (hence their spam bombardement full of poor persuasion tactics). They keep failing. I am almost willing to bet one of my testicles on their new CEO's days being counted. Yay! :violin: :party:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pmThey keep failing. I am almost willing to bet one of my testicles on their new CEO's days being counted. Yay! :violin: :party:
Why would you cheer for their failure? I don't care about the CEO, but I wouldn't wish for the whole company to go down just because they made some mistakes.
Music tech enthusiast

I don't and they won't. But imo they direly need to change their course and for this put someone else at the helm. Somebody who understands this market. And frankly put I think this can't happen too fast or soon. Change is good if - and only if - it is for the better.

jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:33 pm I don't and they won't. But imo they direly need to change their course and for this put someone else at the helm. Somebody who understands this market.
You mean like us here? Nah man, won't happen. :) Everyone knows that we couch potatoes know the market much better than some petty CEO who just came from his business economics study.

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm
festeringheap wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:13 pm
It would seem so from the outside, but on the other hand I don't think RS is stupid and would increase the price of upgrades and licenses if that was the case. DAWs and plugins are not luxury items where you increase the status by restricting supply and hiking the price :)
From what I can gather, many Reason users except the hardcore fans bypassed R11, as it was a very lightweight offering. (Although it's likely that RS may have snagged many older users who gave up on Reason in the past and thought that the RRP was pretty cool. [whether or not that will translate into them buying 12, 13 etc is another story])
So, there may have been many bypassers of R11 who bought the R11/free R12 offering in May of this year. Leaving only those few perpetual hardcore fans to buy in September. Which included a massive price increase on a flimsy unstable lightweight version. I think it's been a slow uptake for those users, imo, and likely even the majority of the new RRP owners from last year aren't buying.
jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm I am almost willing to bet one of my testicles on their new CEO's days being counted. Yay! :violin: :party:
I don't spend a lot of money on Propellerhead, but I did spend more this year than last year. Mostly earlier in the year. I think their numbers may be ok this year, and CEO days are not numbered right now.
2022 on the other hand? Well, they need to restore faith in the product/name again, that's for sure. Good luck there.

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:35 pm
jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:33 pm I don't and they won't. But imo they direly need to change their course and for this put someone else at the helm. Somebody who understands this market.
You mean like us here?
Nope, I meant as in most other DAW companies where the CEO has at the very least some sort of music background to begin with. ;-)

festeringheap wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:59 pm From what I can gather, many Reason users except the hardcore fans bypassed R11, as it was a very lightweight offering. (Although it's likely that RS may have snagged many older users who gave up on Reason in the past and thought that the RRP was pretty cool. [whether or not that will translate into them buying 12, 13 etc is another story])
So, there may have been many bypassers of R11 who bought the R11/free R12 offering in May of this year. Leaving only those few perpetual hardcore fans to buy in September. Which included a massive price increase on a flimsy unstable lightweight version. I think it's been a slow uptake for those users, imo, and likely even the majority of the new RRP owners from last year aren't buying.
I don't think that's accurate.

11 Suite when it was released was selling like hot cakes. But even more importantly, lots of people bought 11 to access Reason Rack Plugin to either move to different DAW and take their favourite REs with them, or - while already being in other DAW for years - to access their native & 3rd party REs that were stuck in Reason they were no longer using...

So I wasn't surprised that in terms of sales and "users" growth the 2019/2020 was their best period ever, like the CEO was boasting over Twitter.

However, it was hardly representative for the future, because - for many users - that was a one-off buy and a goodbye with Reason ecosystem.

Sort of like paying for divorce lawyer ;)
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:35 pm
You mean like us here?
Nope, I meant as in most other DAW companies where the CEO has at the very least some sort of music background to begin with. ;-)
I'd be damned if he hasn't. Paper doesn't always reflect what is and what is not.

Apart from that there are (surprisingly) other people in the company, who also have an influence on what Reason Studios are doing. https://www.reasonstudios.com/about

how zen!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”