Reason subscription - waste of money if you don´t use sound packs?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRian
1000 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:04 pm

I have purchased my subscription 7 months ago, not a single new device (instruments, players.. )has been added in this period of time, or am I missing something?
A lot of sound packs have been published for which I have zero use.

KVRAF
3433 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 pm

exactly this is why I'm going to choose R12 update (114$ JRRshop) and RE subscription instead https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/subscription/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
10744 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:20 pm

enCiphered wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:04 pm
I have purchased my subscription 7 months ago, not a single new device (instruments, players.. )has been added in this period of time, or am I missing something?
A lot of sound packs have been published for which I have zero use.
That's not surprising though. All hands were on deck to do high-res GUI, new Combi, Mimic sampler and improved browser.

Did you already had all the Reason Studios' REs before you got the R+?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian

Topic Starter

1000 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:25 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:20 pm
enCiphered wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:04 pm
I have purchased my subscription 7 months ago, not a single new device (instruments, players.. )has been added in this period of time, or am I missing something?
A lot of sound packs have been published for which I have zero use.
That's not surprising though. All hands were on deck to do high-res GUI, new Combi, Mimic sampler and improved browser.

Did you already had all the Reason Studios' REs before you got the R+?
Yes, nothing new for me except the algorithm synth.

User avatar
KVRAF
10744 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:12 am

enCiphered wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:25 pm
Yes, nothing new for me except the algorithm synth.
Yeah, in that case I can understand you were dissapointed :(

Hopefully when they get the big stuff out of the way - high-res, VST3, Apple Silicon support - they will be able to come back to doing multiple things in parallel and R+ will appear more valuable. From what we know they're working on a new FX, so hopefully we'll see it shortly.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
8259 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 am

If you purchased Reason+ 7 months ago, didn’t you get Reason 12 free?
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRian

Topic Starter

1000 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 am

Yes, but I don´t use the DAW. I am mainly interested in new extensions and players and was expecting a bit more to come.

KVRian
507 posts since 7 Mar, 2011

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:23 am

Looks like they introduced subscription a year too early.

KVRAF
8259 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 am

enCiphered wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 am
Yes, but I don´t use the DAW. I am mainly interested in new extensions and players and was expecting a bit more to come.
Well they didn’t update the DAW anyway! Made everything hi res which is useful in the Rack and added Mimic and Combiner 2.
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRAF
3433 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 am

^^^ I'm building the structure of the racks totally differently because of the "You can now add Combinators inside the Insert FX and Master FX sections" which was introduced in 12.2 now can be used in one big container and multiple ones in it

modulators + instruments + fxes thanks Bitwig :D
https://i.ibb.co/BVZKfcC/rrr.png

ps. there is a RedRock sale :) https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... ck%20Sound
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
10744 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 am

xbitz wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 am
...because of the "You can now add Combinators inside the Insert FX and Master FX sections" which was introduced in 12.2...
That's not true. You could've loaded combis into inserts since they were introduced 10+ years ago. You can now insert multiple combis into inserts, but you could also achieve the same time earlier by wiring combis in sequence. And we've lost the ability to access combi controls directly from the mixer, without having to open the rack.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
3433 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am

plural was the key: combinators I like how it works now, after Bitwig I don't want to do any kind of "wiring" just use it simply as a single group with Morpher ( https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... v-utility/ ) rack view of Reason was always too chaotic/unmanageable for me after some point previously

luckily VSTs can be opened directly from the sequencer no needs rack view using so hello Cubase rack view, I would like to keep open one container at the same time ... others should be >
Image
just Reason has a modulation system so bye-bye Cubase at the same time
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
10744 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:56 am

xbitz wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am
...plural was the key...
Not to be picky, but the line was "combinators" into "insert sections" which doesn't imply you can insert multiple combinators into one insert section. According to RS many people had no idea they could load combinators into inserts before at all, or that - conversely - when they'd save insert device chain it would be a combinator patch they can load anywhere, not only in insert.

Anyway, sorry for the OT rant. I'm still angry they've removed insert FX controls from the mixer :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
3433 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:06 am

^^^ copied from the log https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes ... "Reason 12.2.0 Release Notes ..." :)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRist
83 posts since 10 Aug, 2021

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm

As others have mentioned, they've most likely been busy with the high resolution stuff and Apple Silicon support (supposedly it took 3 guys almost a year or something like that to do that for FL Studio). Obviously this implies some long term plan but i doubt the DAW is included there (not that it's relevant here). Next year is where they're going to have to deliver and we will truly know what to expect from them.

IMO the most important thing right now (assuming they continue with their strategy) is updating the FX and mastering selection, and cleaning up the sample and preset library (has that ever been done in the 20 years or whatever that Reason has existed?). There's some good stuff there for sure but there's ALOT of just dull, outdated and/or low quality sounds in general. That's not great if the main product is going to be a subscription plugin toolbox for sounds and sound design. Consider adding an improved orchestra refill and better electric keys etc (Live Suite impressed me with this).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”