iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:40 pm You can transfer the files and tell Iris the new location.
zzz00m wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:40 pm
Sound Asleep wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 pm This is a random question, but, let's say I have Iris 2 on my laptop, And I installed the library to an external hard drive, in order to get access to the libraries on my Desktop, do you need to do the whole install the library thing again from the portal? Or can I just transfer the files from the hard drive to a library location of my choice, and point to it within the Iris software?
If you have already installed Iris 2, you can use the "Options" menu to set to the library location.

For example I have Iris installed on my C: drive, and the libraries are on my "D:\iZotope" path. No problem.
muki wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:48 pm you point it from within Iris (to the external location)

(which afaik is "Iris 2 Library", "Patches" and "Samples")

Ok sweet, thanks! Wasn't sure if "installing" did anything else.

Here's a similar question. I noticed that the product portal shows these libraries as installed. What happens if some files are deleted or are corrupted. How can I get them again, if the install button is greyed out? Also, I would imagine these are only greyed out on the portal that's on my laptop, and not on the portal that's on my Desktop? Or is there a scan feature that Iris scans libraries to report to the portal what libraries it has access to?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't have iLok, and I chose to authorize the computer.

Sound Asleep wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm Here's a similar question. I noticed that the product portal shows these libraries as installed. What happens if some files are deleted or are corrupted. How can I get them again, if the install button is greyed out?
The downloads are all available from your account at the iZotope site.

The Product Portal is really just a convenience, but doesn't always sync with what you already have installed, especially older products like Iris 2, unless you originally installed from the Portal.

For example, I installed Iris 2 over 4 years ago, before the current Portal was available. Then I always noticed that the Portal showed my Iris 2 libraries still needed to be installed, when in fact they were on my hard drive for years. So I had to re-install the Iris 2 libraries "over the top" from the Portal in order to not see that error in the Portal any more.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 pm
The downloads are all available from your account at the iZotope site.

The Product Portal is really just a convenience, but doesn't always sync with what you already have installed, especially older products like Iris 2, unless you originally installed from the Portal.

For example, I installed Iris 2 over 4 years ago, before the current Portal was available. Then I always noticed that the Portal showed my Iris 2 libraries still needed to be installed, when in fact they were on my hard drive for years. So I had to re-install the Iris 2 libraries "over the top" from the Portal in order to not see that error in the Portal any more.
Yeah, these quirks with dedicated software can be really annoying. The necessity to re-install stuff only to get rid of the "error" message or something of that nature is just ridiculous. I had similar experience with KORG Software Pass. Eventually I stopped caring about proper synchronization. As long as everything works.

michal.ochedowski wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm
Yeah, these quirks with dedicated software can be really annoying. The necessity to re-install stuff only to get rid of the "error" message or something of that nature is just ridiculous. I had similar experience with KORG Software Pass. Eventually I stopped caring about proper synchronization. As long as everything works.
Good point!

I also had that experience with Korg Software Pass, but the devs finally patched that up. No need to re-install anything there.

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with software managers. They are time savers when they work correctly, and not so much when they glitch.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 pm Good point!

I also had that experience with Korg Software Pass, but the devs finally patched that up. No need to re-install anything there.

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with software managers. They are time savers when they work correctly, and not so much when they glitch.
Case in point: Acustica Audio Aquarius stopped working on my system for no apparent reason. I'm on Windows 8.1 so support can't do anything for me, unless I change to Win 10 at least. Not going to happen anytime soon. I have too many things setup on my current rig.

Thanks for the info about KORG program. I will check that out. It's been a while.

Is there any way to modulate the spectral selection? I couldn’t find anything that could do that.

Diomede18618 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 pm Is there any way to modulate the spectral selection? I couldn’t find anything that could do that.
That doesn't seem to be covered in the iZotope Iris 2 Help Documentation.

The chapter on the modulation system says:
Modulation brings the sounds in Iris to life, giving them movement and expression that
wasn’t available in Iris 1. With Iris 2 we created an extensive modulation system that is
intended to give users the flexibility and connectivity of a modular synth. Iris 2 has four types
of Modulation Sources: LFOs, Envelopes, MIDI Expression Controllers, and Macro Knobs.

These Modulation Sources can be connected to over 100 modulatable parameters in Iris 2.
So I am guessing that spectral selection is not a modulatable parameter.

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

Diomede18618 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 am Thanks, that's what I suspected.
I think it's a cool idea, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around an implementation of that concept.

zzz00m wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm
Diomede18618 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 am Thanks, that's what I suspected.
I think it's a cool idea, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around an implementation of that concept.
One way would be to have point-geometry-based masks, ie shapes defined by a closed curve through a series of points.
Do that and you could theoretically morph between different positions for some or all of the whole set of points, changing the shape of the mask.

But you'll not see an Iris 3, IMO, so it'd be up to some other company to do that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You could
1. create layers with the same sound but different selections and turn them on and off or change their relative amplitude
2. create loops and manually change their shape between loops and record that
3. make a large selection and use the lfo to modulate within it
4. use multiple instances
5. another way
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:15 pm You could
1. create layers with the same sound but different selections and turn them on and off or change their relative amplitude
2. create loops and manually change their shape between loops and record that
3. make a large selection and use the lfo to modulate within it
4. use multiple instances
5. another way
With #1, it is simple to control the gain of each of the 4 sample layers individually via the Mix window.

zzz00m wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 pmWith #1, it is simple to control the gain of each of the 4 sample layers individually via the Mix window.
Yep. I think the best way to do workarounds is to imagine what you want the final sound to be, and then see how you can make it.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

_del_

What are similar Iris 2 plugins for sound processing? For example, a filter or something similar?
I know there is an Unfiltered Audio Spec Ops (which is really cool, but it doesn't sound like it at all) and a tricky filter in IL Harmor, but I don't use FL Studio.

Return to “Instruments”