Apple announce new 14" & 16" MBP with M1Pro and M1Max

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mine comes tomorrow :)

Double Tap wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:38 am...I wonder how much of the apparent increase in energy usage will be down to the machines needing to use firestorm cores for more basic functions.
If this graph attempts to be at least semi-accurate, then it shows pretty well how 4/4 efficiency/performance cores in "old" M1 compare vs. 2/8 in new M1 Pro/Max. Notice how up to about 75% of "old" M1 performance - vertical axis - it's consistently much more power efficient - horizontal axis:

m1 vs pro&max.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am
Double Tap wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:38 am...I wonder how much of the apparent increase in energy usage will be down to the machines needing to use firestorm cores for more basic functions.
If this graph attempts to be at least semi-accurate, then it shows pretty well how 4/4 efficiency/performance cores in "old" M1 compare vs. 2/8 in new M1 Pro/Max. Notice how up to about 75% of "old" M1 performance - vertical axis - it's consistently much more power efficient - horizontal axis:

m1 vs pro&max.jpg
Yeah I saw those :tu: - some of the early reviews seem to be saying that the Max and Pro do get warm in the base but still aren't powering up the fans much, even with multi video streams. Although I suspect most of those aren't done by professionals, it's pretty encouraging.

Would buying a MBP 13'' now be a stupid move?

I'm currently using a Lanovo Legion Y730 with i7-8750h, which is a 6-core / 12-threads CPU, 16GB RAM, 1050Ti, 256SSD/1TBHD. My projects, typically going up to maybe 30-35 tracks with mostly native devices + few VSTs; rarely exceed 60-70% CPU and that's in battery saving mode, so I'm running at 2.1GHz, whereas the laptop can easily do 3.8GHz sustained (but it gets loud, obviously).

Going off of comparisons like those I linked at the bottom, apparently the M1 MBP 13'' would give me 40-60% more performance, with all the other benefits like longer battery life, arguably better audio system and... opportunity to clean-install my DAWs and VSTs to focus only on Apple Silicon compatible stuff. The screen would be smaller (vs. 15''), but with higher resolution (vs. 1080p) and it's also 16:10 which I prefer. For couple of years I worked on 12.3'' Surface Pro 4 and it never really bothered me.

To top it off, with the deal I found this morning it would only cost me like 40% of "equivalent" RAM & SSD M1 Pro 14'' / 16'' model.

What you think?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Ap ... 4104vs3237
https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... s-apple-m1
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 am Would buying a MBP 13'' now be a stupid move?

I'm currently using a Lanovo Legion Y730 with i7-8750h, which is a 6-core / 12-threads CPU, 16GB RAM, 1050Ti, 256SSD/1TBHD. My projects, typically going up to maybe 30-35 tracks with mostly native devices + few VSTs; rarely exceed 60-70% CPU and that's in battery saving mode, so I'm running at 2.1GHz, whereas the laptop can easily do 3.8GHz sustained (but it gets loud, obviously).

Going off of comparisons like those I linked at the bottom, apparently the M1 MBP 13'' would give me 40-60% more performance, with all the other benefits like longer battery life, arguably better audio system and... opportunity to clean-install my DAWs and VSTs to focus only on Apple Silicon compatible stuff. The screen would be smaller (vs. 15''), but with higher resolution (vs. 1080p) and it's also 16:10 which I prefer. For couple of years I worked on 12.3'' Surface Pro 4 and it never really bothered me.

To top it off, with the deal I found this morning it would only cost me like 40% of "equivalent" RAM & SSD M1 Pro 14'' / 16'' model.

What you think?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Ap ... 4104vs3237
https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... s-apple-m1
I think that depends on whether you want to move to Mac OS or not. If yes based on everything else I think it's a no-brainer tbh.

Serif released updates to the Affinity apps today (Designer, Photo and Publisher) with official support for Monterey and optimized for the new M1 Pro and Max processors. Affinity had this to say about graphics performance:

"The new GPU represents an industry reflection point—we now have compute performance surpassing nearly all discrete GPU hardware, but retain the key benefits of unified memory. This required us to step back and think again about where performance bottlenecks might be, as it's clear the 'old rules' no longer apply.

"The results of this work yield a benchmark score of around 30,000 for the M1 Max 32core GPU, absolutely obliterating any other single GPU score we have ever measured. Our changes have also improved performance on the previous M1 chip, which is now roughly 10% faster in our benchmark in version 1.10.3."

Sounds promising!

I've been thinking of replacing my 2015 15" MBP (with dual video) when the new M1Max/Pro came out, but I'm finding myself more confused about which one to buy one - stick with an M1, or go all out. I'm sure they'll all be a big step up in performance from my current model, but this is nowhere as simple as I expected it to be. :dog: I mostly use it for Photoshop and Lightroom (heavy use of both apps) and occasionally for FCPX and LPX (I use those mostly on my iMac).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Well im pretty much sold on these new laptops.

mine still weeks away. already downloaded everything i need to install and put it on an external drive. just w a i t in gg :zzz: :wheee: :zzz:

cryophonik wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm I've been thinking of replacing my 2015 15" MBP (with dual video) when the new M1Max/Pro came out, but I'm finding myself more confused about which one to buy one - stick with an M1, or go all out.
When you say "dual video" do you mean two external monitors (or other video connections)? If so, the M1 laptops from last year only natively support a single external video connection (though you can get third-party USB adapters or docks using something like DisplayLink).

If your intention is to natively drive two or more external monitors (from a laptop), the new M1 Pro/Max MBPs will do this, but the old M1 laptops won't. The M1 Mac mini will natively drive two monitors, but it's not a laptop :-)

waxtrax wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:52 pm
cryophonik wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm I've been thinking of replacing my 2015 15" MBP (with dual video) when the new M1Max/Pro came out, but I'm finding myself more confused about which one to buy one - stick with an M1, or go all out.
When you say "dual video" do you mean two external monitors (or other video connections)? If so, the M1 laptops from last year only natively support a single external video connection (though you can get third-party USB adapters or docks using something like DisplayLink).

If your intention is to natively drive two or more external monitors (from a laptop), the new M1 Pro/Max MBPs will do this, but the old M1 laptops won't. The M1 Mac mini will natively drive two monitors, but it's not a laptop :-)
By dual video, I mean it has both the Intel Iris Pro and AMD Radeon R9 M370X. I don't usually run my MBP with an external monitor, so that's not a priority for me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I had the 2015 15" MBP top of the line model, then got the M1 MBA earlier this year. It was much faster, and as a bonus, there are no fans! Toward the end, I couldn't do anything at all on the 2015 MBP without the fans taking off like a jet engine. Very happy with the M1 MBA compared to the 2015 MBP.

waxtrax wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:07 pm Toward the end, I couldn't do anything at all on the 2015 MBP without the fans taking off like a jet engine. Very happy with the M1 MBA compared to the 2015 MBP.
I'm starting to encounter the same thing with my fans and I'm getting some of the infamous "battery bulge", so the lid doesn't lay quite flat when I close it. Thanks for the feedback! :tu:

cryophonik wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 pm
waxtrax wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:07 pm Toward the end, I couldn't do anything at all on the 2015 MBP without the fans taking off like a jet engine. Very happy with the M1 MBA compared to the 2015 MBP.
I'm starting to encounter the same thing with my fans and I'm getting some of the infamous "battery bulge", so the lid doesn't lay quite flat when I close it. Thanks for the feedback! :tu:
My 2016's the same, & to top it off, the screen now doesn't work if I open it past 30 degrees. Apple quoted me over £600 to repair! It's all gone steadily downhill in the last month. I'm hoping my new M1 max arrives asap! Just hope I can still use all my main plugins ok.

---
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”